Unlimited Data

Dalvik_Cache

Super Moderator
Premium Member
Reaction score
I don't know Mandy, but it may be worth it to change one line to tiered data... depending on how many lines you have and if you have one line that uses less than 2gb data a month. You could save $200-400 on a new phone and you would be able to use the tiered line each time you wanted to upgrade your phone (if an eligible upgrade was available).

sent from my Note2 using tapatalk 4 beta

I was JK they are free.

Sent from my HTC6435LVW using Tapatalk 2

sweeeeet

Silver Member
Reaction score
Id ditch VZW in a heartbeat for Tmobile because of their no contract/phone pricing model, but their service isnt good enough. Verizon keeps squeezing every penny out of us, not to mention what was said just above, now you cant even upgrade every 18mo, its 24. Our phones are undoubtedly the most used item in our daily lives, yet we are expected to go 2 full yrs with the same thing unless we pay $600+ off contract. I am still dumbfounded how a cell phone can cost $600+. Component breakdown cost on the S4 is about $230.

tmobile "no contact" is such a gimmick.. for an s4 u pay 100 down and 20 a month for 24 months.. now if u cancel service u are on the hook for the balance of the phone..

I priced out tmobile the way I have it now.. 2 smart and 2 dumb.. comes to 211 before taxes, fees and discount... 200 down for the phones... or 1304 one time payment and 165+ a month.. thats really not any savings vs Verizon and their data throttling is wack.. they have good service in my area and especially at work but I don't see any upside

FYI I tried tmo website from 2 devices on 3 networks and it is by far the slowest website I've ever been on

Note Duece

Froyo

Reaction score
I'm on a legacy Alltel plan with two lines. Both unlimited data, and both have the $30 unlimited tethering add on as well. I wonder if this makes a difference at all as far as my options when upgrading go.

It probably doesn't, and I'll likely have to buy my next phone unsubstadized to keep this plan, but I thought I'd just toss the idea out.

Incidently...anybody else still have their legacy Alltel plan? I always wonder how many of us are actually left.

sweeeeet

Silver Member
Reaction score
I'm on a legacy Alltel plan with two lines. Both unlimited data, and both have the $30 unlimited tethering add on as well. I wonder if this makes a difference at all as far as my options when upgrading go.

It probably doesn't, and I'll likely have to buy my next phone unsubstadized to keep this plan, but I thought I'd just toss the idea out.

Incidently...anybody else still have their legacy Alltel plan? I always wonder how many of us are actually left.

where is legacy alltel? canada? i never heard of it

Froyo

Reaction score
Alltel was an American provider that was bought out by VZW back in 2008 or 2009.

voodoodaddy

Reaction score
tmobile "no contact" is such a gimmick.. for an s4 u pay 100 down and 20 a month for 24 months.. now if u cancel service u are on the hook for the balance of the phone..

Or you could just turn the phone back over and owe nothing.

I get that the no contract is essentially a contract on the phone as you are making monthly payments. However, in 2yrs, when the phone is paid off, your bill will go down by $20/mo. On Verizon I have "paid off" 2 subsidised phones (aka had them 2yrs, they are off contract and I havent upgraded yet) however my bill is still the same.

Plus on Tmo, in 6mo say there is something new I like. I can turn over the phone Im paying on along with another $100, and get something new. It definitely has its advantages vs Verizon IMO. I have no clue what my bill would look like on Tmo. I have 6 lines, all smart phones with a 10gb share, even with a 21% corporate discount my bill is $400/mo on Verizon.

edit - just looked at Tmo site. Can only had 5 lines on family plan, but 5 lines, unlimited data, paying $20/mo on all 5 lines for the phone contract, monthly due is $310. Plus Id get 21% corporate from Tmo also. Id say thats quite a savings over Verizon.

JRParsons

Reaction score
I also looked into t-mobile, I currently have 2 unlimited and 2 dumb phones, I was going to be able to add an iPhone for my daughter, for the same $210 I pay now. Essentially I would be saving $40/month (but unlimited not 2gb). But I was going to have to buy all new phones, it was going to take me almost 2 years to save enough to make it worth it.
I was still thinking of it but the rep showed me the coverage map, it's not horrible but it's not good. There was almost no coverage where I vacation in Maine and New Hampshire. It was good at my house. In the end, I didn't feel the $40/month savings was worth the drop in coverage.
If $ is your biggest concern then t-mobile would be pretty good.
I still think Verizon is greedy and I would love to leave, but you get what you pay for.

Reaction score
I am strongly, STRONGLY considering jumping ship to T-Mobile when my wife's Verizon contract is up. We do have a ghost line for my wife so she can "upgrade" and keep unlimited but I dunno. $160/mo for 2 smartphones is kind of hard to stomach.

debrad0307

Reaction score
How did this post run off topic so bad? It went from Verizon and how to keep unlimited data to a bash fest for Verizon. I'm just glad that the OP's question got answered before that happened.

Sent from my Synergized S3 using Tapatalk 2

JRParsons

Reaction score
How did this post run off topic so bad? It went from Verizon and how to keep unlimited data to a bash fest for Verizon. I'm just glad that the OP's question got answered before that happened.

As I was reading the 6 pages of this thread I was thinking the same thing, then I added to the derailment. My bad.

prime

Kernel Developer
Premium Member
Developer
Reaction score
Website
github.com

I do. Upgraded an unlimited Blackberry plan to a D1, then bought a DX unsubsidized, and finally upgraded to a GNex right before they switched to the tiered data plans.

You will have to buy an unsubsidized device to keep your unlimited data.

TisMyDroid

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Samsung Note 3

90% of the thread seems to be related to keeping unlimited data and the most cost effective way to do that. That's pretty good as far as threads go.

Reaction score
90% of the thread seems to be related to keeping unlimited data and the most cost effective way to do that. That's pretty good as far as threads go.

And a way to keep unlimited data is to jump to another carrier which will invariably bring up comparisons and hate/love/whatever for the carriers. I do love the VZW service around where I live, its great and if I can keep my unlimited I'll probably stay with them but if they do decide to end it when the last of the unlimited data contracts ends (happened already didn't it?) I will bail for Sprint/T-Mo or maybe even a prepaid.