UPDATE: Verizon Cutting OFF Unlimited Data Users Using More Than 100GB Per Month

FoxKat

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo 2 & Galaxy S7
Yeah...a Wikipedia definition of what a millennial is is nonsense. I was taught Wikipedia isn't a valid source.

And yes you made it seem like all these irresponsible kids would make it hard to live with data limits, when in actuality it's not.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

OK, so wikipedia may not be the definitive resource but whether the dates are accurate or not, millennials are for the greatest part 18 and older, and significantly less than 40. To coin a phrase of someone who's name I can't recall, "what difference does it make"?

Regarding "all these irresponsible kids", I also didn't make it seem like anything of the sort. I never used the word all. Some, yes.

Limits are there to protect people from a lack of self control, lack of good judgement, or blatant disregard. But even limits which come with severe repercussions don't prevent even some who are very responsible in other parts of their life from exceeding those limits. Just ask your local highway patrol.

And this wasn't an argument in my mind, at least until you said you weren't going to argue. I saw this as a debate, albeit one with someone other than the one who initiated it.

Also, I've been told I'm writing nonsense by you, but I never insulted you or what you've said as nonsense or anything even close, even though I disagree with some of what you've represented as my words. In fact I've never insulted anyone on this forum. It's a shame, really.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

cr6

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.dronewolfmedia.com
Current Phone Model
Galaxy S7 Edge
Twitter
@dronewolfmedia
Wow....I'm not sure why this thread took a left turn into parenting, but I think we can all agree that we all have different views on this topic and should probably just leave it at that because nobodies mind is being changed here. Trying to persuade each other of opposing points of view is never going to happen. It didn't happen 3+ years ago when this topic first came up and it's not going to happen today. Everybody uses data differently and just because one way works for one person, doesn't mean it should work for someone else despite what we all think.
I still have yet to hear of anybody receiving a "letter" yet, has anyone else?

S5 tap'n

FoxKat

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Everybody uses data differently and just because one way works for one person, doesn't mean it should work for someone else despite what we all think.
Sums it up nicely. Thank you.

Reactions: cr6

Mustang02

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Nexus 6P/5X
Wow....I'm not sure why this thread took a left turn into parenting, but I think we can all agree that we all have different views on this topic and should probably just leave it at that because nobodies mind is being changed here. Trying to persuade each other of opposing points of view is never going to happen. It didn't happen 3+ years ago when this topic first came up and it's not going to happen today. Everybody uses data differently and just because one way works for one person, doesn't mean it should work for someone else despite what we all think.
I still have yet to hear of anybody receiving a "letter" yet, has anyone else?

S5 tap'n
"Don't make me turn this thread around"!

xeene

Gold Member
Reaction score
Uploading to youtube and Facebook in 4k uses 4gb of data per 10 minutes of video. I can legitimately burn through 100gb in a day video streaming from my phone.
f1bd82f2f8baddc42569d35b4392a482.jpg

94lt1

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo 2
This topic is ALWAYS like when I was growing up..we'd sit in the back if the really long station wagon or suburban..thinking they can't reach us...next thing ya know..from all the way in the front...slap across the three of us. Makes me a nostalgic...roflol

FoxKat

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Uploading to youtube and Facebook in 4k uses 4gb of data per 10 minutes of video. I can legitimately burn through 100gb in a day video streaming from my phone.
My point exactly.

An afternoon of skateboarding videos could cause a family plan to go over its limit easily.

jstafford1

Super Moderator
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Twitter
jstaff79
And this is outside the scope of what is expected use of a phone. If you're uploading that much get home internet. I never upload video straight from my phone. I always load it to my laptop then edit some and upload from there. And certainly never upload in 4k.
Legitimate or not... This kind of use is what Verizon is saying is extraordinary.

cr6

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.dronewolfmedia.com
Current Phone Model
Galaxy S7 Edge
Twitter
@dronewolfmedia
And this is outside the scope of what is expected use of a phone. If you're uploading that much get home internet. I never upload video straight from my phone.

That's the point some of us are trying to make. We shouldn't have to use WiFi in this situation when we have unlimited data. Just because you do it this way doesn't mean it's the way everyone is supposed to do it.
If it works for you and your family that's fantastic. I respect your opinion and pov, but that doesn't make it "right".
....just sayin.

S5 tap'n

jstafford1

Super Moderator
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Twitter
jstaff79
That's the point some of us are trying to make. We shouldn't have to use WiFi in this situation when we have unlimited data. Just because you do it this way doesn't mean it's the way everyone is supposed to do it.
If it works for you and your family that's fantastic. I respect your opinion and pov, but that doesn't make it "right".
....just sayin.

S5 tap'n
Not my opinion...you don't get service through me. It's obviously Verizon's opinion or they wouldn't be ending unlimited data.

cr6

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.dronewolfmedia.com
Current Phone Model
Galaxy S7 Edge
Twitter
@dronewolfmedia
And it's your "opinion" that THIS is why Verizon is ending UDP. Just like it MY "opinion" Verizon is ending UDP's because they want to make more money off people who use more than 50 gig a month.

S5 tap'n

FoxKat

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
....just sayin.

S5 tap'n
And today's young, whether millennials or younger are all about instant gratification and social networking exacerbates this. They take pics and videos of what's happening at that moment, then want to upload it instantly on social networks and then all stand around talking about it while they watch the network and wait for the rapid responses from those following them. Then they respond to the followers and get even more reactions. So it's not just about the fun they just had, even more about the reactions they get from the followers and then their own reactions and their friends' reactions. So they want it out there now, want to get responses and then both relive the moment and live the new moment of social networking all in the same space and time.

This requires the data to go out over the cellular data network immediately and even Verizon promotes this whole idea in their commercials. So it's unfair to push the whole concept and tout the network as being designed for it, and then penalize those users for using it that way. Unlimited, if used the way it was marketed, advertised and sold as being designed to use, should be unlimited. That's just MY OPINION. Now, if you're using it as an ISP, your service should be suspended.

Last edited:
Reactions: cr6

xeene

Gold Member
Reaction score
Exactly! 5 years ago most weren't using a gig of data. Today we are burning through gigs like they were Mb half a decade ago. Five years from now it will be terabytes.
Just because some are living in stone age doesn't mean everyone is. We need a progress of technology not limiting it by some ridiculous caps and greedy Telcom.

Things will only get worse. What was limit on minutes a decade ago is a limit on data, all because of money no other reason what so ever.

You might not cry about it today but tomorrow you will be spending 10x more.

Sajo

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 7 Pro
Verizon is in business to make money, no doubt about that; just like most other businesses. I'm sure there are times when their greed is a large part of decision making. I'm not sure that this is all about greed, or money though. Like many others here, I had an UDP plan from 2010 until November of 2015. I willingly signed up for a new tiered plan to save $72 a month on my bill. I know a friend that saved around $57 a month last December by doing the same thing. If Verizon forces everyone off of UD plans eventually and the newer plans are $50 + a month cheaper than the UDP they are making you leave...then they would be losing money.

kodiak799

Gold Member
Reaction score
That's the point some of us are trying to make. We shouldn't have to use WiFi in this situation when we have unlimited data.

And this is exactly why VZW gives themselves wide latitude in the TOS. Uploading 4k videos was impossible on both ends back when UDP came out, and whether they anticipated such use or not that's why they give themselves outs. UDP was never intended to be a broadband replacement when you have access to wifi. It was never intended to be a broadband replacement for things that you can wait to do over wifi.

The alternative is just to end UDP. But rather than end UDP for the 95% who don't use extraordinary amounts of data, they end it for the 5% of UDP users who do....how is that anti-consumer or not in the best interest of the vast majority of their UDP users?