Verizon Drops The Axe! Will Disconnect Unlimited Data Users Using Extraordinary Amounts Of Data!

cr6

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.dronewolfmedia.com
Current Phone Model
Galaxy S7 Edge
Twitter
@dronewolfmedia
I don't know. I think contract but used to be month to month

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk
Well, you'll want to look into that and make sure.
I did a little more digging in this afternoon and it seems that the same rules hold true from last summer's announcement. Apparently Vzw is currently ONLY going after heavy users who are still "out of contract", or month to month. I'm not sure what device you currently have, or if you've upgraded lately, but my advice to you would be to upgrade your device via their website. This way you can keep your UDP "as is", and not have to worry about going into the store where they'll bring up your acct and try to talk you into a different plan.

It also notes that while being "on contract" is no guarantee that they won't eventually ax your UDP.... as it stands right now, they are only going after off contact high data users. It's been stated (and take this with a grain of salt since this is the internet) that even if you have received a letter, that as long as you put your line on contract, you'll be safe.

Supposedly they are also planning on silently doing away with 2 year subsidized contracts (which is what they recently brought back, and what my wife & I jumped on the past few months), so you'll want to make a move to upgrade asap, while you still have the chance.
Good luck & let us know how you make out.
Viva UDP!

S7 Edge tap'n

RyanPm40

Reaction score
Don't all the others who may have unlimited cut back speed after you pass a certain amount?

Verizon seems to actually do this now, anyways. The My Verizon app shows a "Safety Mode" switch to use slower data when youre out to avoid penalties. So, I get 12gb of fast data from my plan but then unlimited "basic internet access", is what they call it.

Last edited:

davidwilp

Reaction score
Verizon seems to actually do this now, anyways. The My Verizon app shows a "Safety Mode" switch to use slower data when youre out to avoid penalties. So, I get 12gb of fast data from my plan but then unlimited "basic internet access", is what they call it.
How slow is it ? Do the tell you in terms of mb per sec or min?

BionicS7

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
S7
How much have you used in the last month or month before?

Last month i used 75, and the month before was in the high 50s, and verizon still sent me the letter ( also, ive been month to month now for a few years).
i didnt actually think theyd force us off like this, if anything i assumed they would have just kept incrementally raising the price until it was no longer affordable, causing us to voluntarily leave.

Now it looks like the only carrier offering true unlimited 4g data is at&t. I called them and a rep said that in order to get their UD, i would have to buy a direct tv plan, the cheapest one being $50/month. Then the phone bill would be around $80 a month.

*edit* Does anyone know if this at&t plan is worth it. The rep assured me they dont throttle at all but i take what reps tell me with a grain of salt. Also, would at&t be able to detect the use of foxfi hotspot?

Last edited by a moderator:

EyeOWA

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Note 8
Last month i used 75, and the month before was in the high 50s, and verizon still sent me the letter ( also, ive been month to month now for a few years).

I didnt actually think theyd force us off like this, if anything i assumed they would have just kept incrementally raising the price until it was no longer affordable, causing us to voluntarily leave.

Now it looks like the only carrier offering true unlimited 4g data is at&t. I called them and a rep said that in order to get their UD, i would have to buy a direct tv plan, the cheapest one being $50/month. Then the phone bill would be around $80 a month.

*edit* Does anyone know if this at&t plan is worth it. The rep assured me they dont throttle at all but i take what reps tell me with a grain of salt. Also, would at&t be able to detect the use of foxfi hotspot?

AT&T website says they throttle after 22gb.

xeene

Gold Member
Reaction score
Two year contracts are gone.
No they are not! I just signed one couple months ago
fd40f1e5ee76fae50d33fc15c2db7913.jpg

My guess is that they aren't on contract so vzw is giving them a boot.
If I were them, I'd go to best buy websites, get a free phone delivered to their house and extend contract by 2 years. What's the worst that can happen? They get free phone and move to att?

scottysize

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
iPhone XS Max
i didnt actually think theyd force us off like this, if anything i assumed they would have just kept incrementally raising the price until it was no longer affordable, causing us to voluntarily leave.

Yes, AT&T throttles. My brother in law was able to get a hotspot, but he had to do something to his plan. I'll ask him as I'm in the same boat if they catch me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

supermandroid

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Moto X 2nd Gen

Is T-Mobile not offering unlimited LTE?

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

scottysize

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
iPhone XS Max
Is T-Mobile not offering unlimited LTE?

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

Read the fine print at the bottom of the page. Users that go over 28GB per month may be slowed down. Also, they do not allow hotspots on the T-Mobile UDP.

scottysize

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
iPhone XS Max
Yes, AT&T throttles. My brother in law was able to get a hotspot, but he had to do something to his plan. I'll ask him as I'm in the same boat if they catch me.

Brother in law had to come off the UDP for AT &T in order to get his hotspot back. He's now capped at 50GB and slowed considerably after that. At least there's no overage charges.

Mustang02

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Nexus 6P/5X
No they are not! I just signed one couple months ago
fd40f1e5ee76fae50d33fc15c2db7913.jpg

My guess is that they aren't on contract so vzw is giving them a boot.
If I were them, I'd go to best buy websites, get a free phone delivered to their house and extend contract by 2 years. What's the worst that can happen? They get free phone and move to att?
Go try to sign up for a two year contract today, you can't. Obviously if you signed up two months ago, you were able to. As of last week you can't sign up EVER again.