***Updated*** Easy Root Available. 3 step process

yakitori

Premium Member
Premium Member
Theme Developer
Reaction score
Hi! Im new to the Tbolt community. I rooted plenty of D1 and a Dinc no probs. Definitely not a noob when it comes to flashing things.

I just got this tbolt yesterday and want to root it. Reading through this method seems to be iffy for some people.

I see that this method works for the version listed in the OP but my phone ran 2 OTA updates the instant I walked out the store with it. My current software version is 1.13.605.7

How can I root with this version? Should I do the ADB route, or the easy root route?

Also, if I root, will it block future OTA updates as flashing the .sbf did on the D1? Or will an OTA update still push...removing my root access? Id REALLY like to get the bloatware off my phone and improve battery life...and try liquid thundersense.

Someone please point me in the right direction.

Last edited:

vettz500

Reaction score
To everyone wondering if this Easy Root works with the current version of the Thunderbolt Firmware (the one released in the second week of May) It does. I just rooted mine with that newest firmware and it went through pretty easily. Everything just got set back to the older firmware, no big deal :)
I had to run step 1 three or four times b4 it actually pushed the files and rebooted the phone into recovery, but it did work.
Thank you so much for this easy way to root! It helped a lot!!!
:]

vettz500

Reaction score
Hi! Im new to the Tbolt community. I rooted plenty of D1 and a Dinc no probs. Definitely not a noob when it comes to flashing things.

I just got this tbolt yesterday and want to root it. Reading through this method seems to be iffy for some people.

I see that this method works for the version listed in the OP but my phone ran 2 OTA updates the instant I walked out the store with it. My current software version is 1.13.605.7

How can I root with this version? Should I do the ADB route, or the easy root route?

Also, if I root, will it block future OTA updates as flashing the .sbf did on the D1? Or will an OTA update still push...removing my root access? Id REALLY like to get the bloatware off my phone and improve battery life...and try liquid thundersense.

Someone please point me in the right direction.

You can use this Easy root to root your thunderbolt. I rooted mine with the Easy Root running 1.13.605.7 and it went in smoothly :)
I had to repeat step 1 a few times to get it to take but I think it was because my screen kept shutting off after while it was pushing the files, the time I kept the screen awake while it was pushing the files it went right through and booted into the recovery screen it was supposed to.
But your good to go to use this to root it, just as stated in the description, you take full responsibility if your phone gets bricked or breaks in someway. But, if you follow all these instructions and take your time, you wont have any problems :)
Good luck! :]

Doulandroid

Reaction score
My phone gets to the fastboot screen and then hangs.Tried it 20 times. Will not finish step one for some reason. Very frustrating.

sent from Dali's moustache.

SCDroid

Reaction score
I can't get past step 2, any suggestions? when it reboots (which is rare) it doesn't give me the option of volume up to flash the pg50img.zip file.

jimmydene84

Reaction score
MAN if the file would ever finish downloading i would root this beast! 858MB DANG!

jimmydene84

Reaction score
step 1 worked....now on step 2 i get ERROR! contactdbzfanatic at XDA DO NOT REBOOT (if this error comes up before a hash is displayed you're fine. choose the bootloader option)

I DONT HAVE THE BOOTLOADER OPTION! it didnt reboot?!? am i still fine, did others get this message??

UPDATE----GOT IT ROOTED!! making a backup now!!!!! man, that was much more daunting that on an OG droid haha

Last edited:

jcbsides

Reaction score
My phone gets to the fastboot screen and then hangs.Tried it 20 times. Will not finish step one for some reason. Very frustrating.

sent from Dali's moustache.

I think I'm having the same problem. I hit power when the Bootloader option is highlighted and then it tries to load the img and says either no img or the wrong img is there and won't continue.

04CiviCon20s

Reaction score

mhawk71

Reaction score
it doesnt really take that long just follow the instructions carefully and it will work. took me one time to do it

DancerGeek

Reaction score
Ok I am having some major issues... I've been trying for awhile now, I think I am missing something though, so help me out.

I have HTC Sync installed on my computer.
I have HTC Thunderbolt Easy Rooter installed and unzipped.
I plug in my phone, put it on Charge Only.
I turn WiFi off on my phone.
I put my phone on USB debugging mode.
I go onto the easy rooter program and click step 1. Here's what happens:

It says "Reading devices", then a window pops up that says
"Windows cannot find 'C:\Users\username\Desktop\adb.exe'. Make sure you typed the name correctly, and then try again."

I feel like what I missed is obvious, but I read the directions all the way through multiple times, so I don't understand what I'm doing wrong.