Verizon Killing Unlimited Data

czerdrill

Silver Member
Reaction score
well i guess you dont need my opinion and i dont believe 28g is not tethering. im ok with that.

as far as me saying ill go elsewhere; thats far from a baseless threat. im just fine with home land line internet and can go back to playing video games and watching movies on my flat screen. i dont make threats, i state facts (or what i percieve at the time as facts).

its that simple, not a threat; if they data cap; im going back to cable internet....no questions asked.

haha i was waiting for someone to say "oh no but i really will!!"...you're missing my point. people make threats all the time, every time something changes. and then they eventually adapt and shut up. ok...you might leave...and maybe 1 million other people will leave. the point is, you're not affecting verizon in anyway, and you are going to be going to a worse network whether you want to admit that or not. verizon is clearly one of the, if not THE, best mobile network in america. leaving is not going to hurt them.

when i said no one is going to leave, i didn't mean literally not one single vzw subscriber will ever leave verizon. i meant that it's human nature to make threats and then adapt. it happens everywhere, it happens everyday. verizon is not going to change their decisions on how to price their plans based on the threats of so few people that have no effect on them.

nakhleh926

Reaction score
exactly. if you want to use 28gb a month, then you should pay more then those who use 1gb or less. it's common sense. like you said, the ones who are complaining are the ones who are tethering, or using 30gb a month doing other things (which I can't even imagine how you do that) and want it at the same price as everyone else. they dont realize how ridiculous that sounds because they are the ones who stand to benefit from it

tiered data, if it happens, is because of those who use 28+ gigs a month. yes, you have an unlimited plan, and if you're not tethering, verizon can't do anything about it. but you better believe they don't want one user using 28 gigs/month. and they're not going to care if you whine about it if they change to tiered plans.

i also find it funny when people say "i'll just go elsewhere"...no you won't...who are you kidding? i've heard countless people say "if this doesn't happen, i'll leave", but they never do. just a baseless threat, that won't affect verizon in anyway whatsoever. and if you do leave...you're the one that'll end up with the short end of the stick. but...you won't leave..haha

for me i'll most probably save if they go to tiered data because i dont use data like that (and yes...i use my phone...).

It's not like we wake up every morning and purposely attempt to raise our usage, instead of making us pay more they should make YOU pay less for a 2-5gb plan, and let us keep unlimited. I didn't complain, I was just showing those that use 1-2gbs that they SHOULDN'T be complaining. This isn't anyones call except for Verizon and if they're smart they'll find something plausible for everyone. There's no reason to be upset that we use so much, if us type of people didn't use it, no one would, we're not taxing the towers in any way they weren't meant to be. (typed as a nontetherer). If you want to be upset at anyone let it be the ones that tether, NOT the heavy users, we're just as innocent as you are.

Sent from my DROIDX using DroidForums App

how do you not see that people using 28gigs/month would make them more money than those using 2gig/month? it's not rocket science. if they bring tiered plans, it'll be to get rid of unlimited, not give people the option to keep unlimited and pay the same price.

it's about making money off the people who for some ungodly reason use 28gbs of data in 30 days. it doesn't matter if you tether or not, they're a business and they're business is to make money. if one person is using 30gigs a month, they can make a crapload of money off that user by introducing tiered plans. again, i hope that you don't think that your usage amounts are normal, the average or anywhere near the average. they're losing money every time someone uses 30gigs a month. they dont care that they said it was unlimited. they can change it whenever they want, because its their network...like i said, the few people who this would affect are a drop in the bucket for them. i can say with full confidence that they won't care if you leave...however, we all know you're not going anywhere.

and again, if you use that amount legitimately, it sucks for you if they get rid of it and i understand that. but again, you are about as significant to them as i am to the queen of england (and that's not at all).

I really do see your point, I'm kind of arguing more with Verizon than I am with you even though they're not here. I'm just saying that they don't NEED to do this, everyone keeps saying that we slow their 3g down by using so much, it's not true, it shouldn't be anyones business.

czerdrill

Silver Member
Reaction score
It's not like we wake up every morning and purposely attempt to raise our usage, instead of making us pay more they should make YOU pay less for a 2-5gb plan, and let us keep unlimited. I didn't complain, I was just showing those that use 1-2gbs that they SHOULDN'T be complaining. This isn't anyones call except for Verizon and if they're smart they'll find something plausible for everyone. There's no reason to be upset that we use so much, if us type of people didn't use it, no one would, we're not taxing the towers in any way they weren't meant to be. (typed as a nontetherer). If you want to be upset at anyone let it be the ones that tether, NOT the heavy users, we're just as innocent as you are.

how do you not see that people using 28gigs/month would make them more money than those using 2gig/month? it's not rocket science. if they bring tiered plans, it'll be to get rid of unlimited, not give people the option to keep unlimited and pay the same price.

it's about making money off the people who for some ungodly reason use 28gbs of data in 30 days. it doesn't matter if you tether or not, they're a business and they're business is to make money. if one person is using 30gigs a month, they can make a crapload of money off that user by introducing tiered plans. again, i hope that you don't think that your usage amounts are normal, the average or anywhere near the average. they're losing money every time someone uses 30gigs a month. they dont care that they said it was unlimited. they can change it whenever they want, because its their network...like i said, the few people who this would affect are a drop in the bucket for them. i can say with full confidence that they won't care if you leave...however, we all know you're not going anywhere.

and again, if you use that amount legitimately, it sucks for you if they get rid of it and i understand that. but again, you are about as significant to them as i am to the queen of england (and that's not at all).

I really do see your point, I'm kind of arguing more with Verizon than I am with you even though they're not here. I'm just saying that they don't NEED to do this, everyone keeps saying that we slow their 3g down by using so much, it's not true, it shouldn't be anyones business.

oh no i dont think an individual using 30gigs/month is slowing their network down. if you use it, its the same as 30 people using 1gig. the network shouldn't, theoretically, face any degradation, unless every single user was using 30gigs a month. what i'm saying is that it's all about money for them, and from a business perspective it makes perfect sense for them to introduce tiered data. because even though the 15 million (a completely made up number) who use 30 gigs/month may not affect their network, that's money that they're losing by not charging extra for that much usage.

business is all about money. no company on the planet will put their customers' needs or wants in front of profit making.

peterjariel

Reaction score
-for those of you who use less then 1g a month and brag about it = congratualtions on paying to much for a service and not using it. Verizon loves you.

for those that hit 28g; without tethering? no way. i run pandora non stop, i tether to my netbook and do casual surfing, i download and upload themes, i download computer software....ive only once made it to 7g in a month (sat up 3 computers that month). If we are gonna argue about it at least lets be honest. I dont disagree that unlimited means unlimited and the networks capabilites are the carriers problem. I also dont disagree that if a large number of people were actually even able to hit 28g i wouldnt blame them for capping....but then, id still leave as it would effect me.

honestly i was not bragging. get your head around that.

unlimited is in the context of as much as you can eat on a smartphone. verizon probably did their testing way ahead of everyone here before offering the package. so they are able to guesstimate approx. how much data the average android user will consume and then price the package accordingly.

it is perceivable that unusually high data is in the 5GB & up range for a smartphone. so when you tax the network with 10+ GB of use per month, theres maintenance and upkeep associated with that when the network was not designed to handle the volume ... hence the tiered pricing for data.

same logic goes for minutes and messages. i wouldnt mind paying according to my usage, its an opportunity for me to both save some money and keep my usage within the bounds i set.

the major complainers in here are the ones that want to pay less and get some rediculous usage, while many others are not youtubing or streaming radio for several hours a day.

posted via android

exactly. if you want to use 28gb a month, then you should pay more then those who use 1gb or less. it's common sense. like you said, the ones who are complaining are the ones who are tethering, or using 30gb a month doing other things (which I can't even imagine how you do that) and want it at the same price as everyone else. they dont realize how ridiculous that sounds because they are the ones who stand to benefit from it

tiered data, if it happens, is because of those who use 28+ gigs a month. yes, you have an unlimited plan, and if you're not tethering, verizon can't do anything about it. but you better believe they don't want one user using 28 gigs/month. and they're not going to care if you whine about it if they change to tiered plans.

i also find it funny when people say "i'll just go elsewhere"...no you won't...who are you kidding? i've heard countless people say "if this doesn't happen, i'll leave", but they never do. just a baseless threat, that won't affect verizon in anyway whatsoever. and if you do leave...you're the one that'll end up with the short end of the stick. but...you won't leave..haha

for me i'll most probably save if they go to tiered data because i dont use data like that (and yes...i use my phone...).

What the hell are u talking about its UNLIMITED damit. so ur goin to tell me that if u get the 700 min plan and I use the 700 min a month and just because u have a phone around u 99% of the time and only use 5 min a month then I should pay more than u NO!!!! u get what u pay for if u dont use it then thats ur problem. I in the other hand want to get my moneys worth.

czerdrill

Silver Member
Reaction score
honestly i was not bragging. get your head around that.

unlimited is in the context of as much as you can eat on a smartphone. verizon probably did their testing way ahead of everyone here before offering the package. so they are able to guesstimate approx. how much data the average android user will consume and then price the package accordingly.

it is perceivable that unusually high data is in the 5GB & up range for a smartphone. so when you tax the network with 10+ GB of use per month, theres maintenance and upkeep associated with that when the network was not designed to handle the volume ... hence the tiered pricing for data.

same logic goes for minutes and messages. i wouldnt mind paying according to my usage, its an opportunity for me to both save some money and keep my usage within the bounds i set.

the major complainers in here are the ones that want to pay less and get some rediculous usage, while many others are not youtubing or streaming radio for several hours a day.

posted via android

What the hell are u talking about its UNLIMITED damit. so ur goin to tell me that if u get the 700 min plan and I use the 700 min a month and just because u have a phone around u 99% of the time and only use 5 min a month then I should pay more than u NO!!!! u get what u pay for if u dont use it then thats ur problem. I in the other hand want to get my moneys worth.

calm down, bro. yes it's unlimited. please point out where i said it's not? you're getting all worked up for no reason. we're discussing why verizon would want to introduce tiered plans. instead of getting all loud and obnoxious why don't you stay on topic?

nakhleh926

Reaction score

oh no i dont think an individual using 30gigs/month is slowing their network down. if you use it, its the same as 30 people using 1gig. the network shouldn't, theoretically, face any degradation, unless every single user was using 30gigs a month. what i'm saying is that it's all about money for them, and from a business perspective it makes perfect sense for them to introduce tiered data. because even though the 15 million (a completely made up number) who use 30 gigs/month may not affect their network, that's money that they're losing by not charging extra for that much usage.

business is all about money. no company on the planet will put their customers' needs or wants in front of profit making.

see now that I can agree with just fine, I just was tired of reading people say they care because we're ruining their connection. Verizon didn't let us down a while ago with the thinking about removing unlimited so we'll see what happens now, if anything imo 3g might stay unlimited and 4g would be capped.

czerdrill

Silver Member
Reaction score

see now that I can agree with just fine, I just was tired of reading people say they care because we're ruining their connection. Verizon didn't let us down a while ago with the thinking about removing unlimited so we'll see what happens now, if anything imo 3g might stay unlimited and 4g would be capped.

nah i dont see how one person using 30gigs/month or even a million people using 30gb a month can have any appreciable detrimental effect on the network.

but yeah, its purely a money thing. if they tier 3g it's to get money off those that use 30gigs/month....nothing more nothing less. we're not going to wake up tomorrow and notice how slow and laggy the network is, and then think "damn those tetherers"...it's simply not the case.

rebaf

Reaction score
well i guess you dont need my opinion and i dont believe 28g is not tethering. im ok with that.

as far as me saying ill go elsewhere; thats far from a baseless threat. im just fine with home land line internet and can go back to playing video games and watching movies on my flat screen. i dont make threats, i state facts (or what i percieve at the time as facts).

its that simple, not a threat; if they data cap; im going back to cable internet....no questions asked.

haha i was waiting for someone to say "oh no but i really will!!"...you're missing my point. people make threats all the time, every time something changes. and then they eventually adapt and shut up. ok...you might leave...and maybe 1 million other people will leave. the point is, you're not affecting verizon in anyway, and you are going to be going to a worse network whether you want to admit that or not. verizon is clearly one of the, if not THE, best mobile network in america. leaving is not going to hurt them.

when i said no one is going to leave, i didn't mean literally not one single vzw subscriber will ever leave verizon. i meant that it's human nature to make threats and then adapt. it happens everywhere, it happens everyday. verizon is not going to change their decisions on how to price their plans based on the threats of so few people that have no effect on them.
ah, agreed; it wont effect them that much. again though, i dont care about them i care about me.

and of course, by nature of caring about me; if i chose to i may keep their phone service and simply ditch their internet for land line.
your statement about having a great network has proven true in my experience as well.

swagmonster

Reaction score
Imho verizon is one of the top companies because of a combo of things the droids the I phone and they still have an unlim data....take out one of those things and they are gunna stumble and fall behind...I don't tether but the only reason I would is if I'm not around wifi and I needed to do something on my latop that is much harder on your phone...if you have unlim data you would be doing the same thing either on ur fone or ur laptop using the same ammount of data why should the device matter? a good suggestions for the tiers is to have a 1-2 gig tear a 2-5 gig tier and then have a 15 gig CAP for 30 same price as the unlim and then anyone over that will have to pay forr their specified data usage idk if tht made sense but yea...

Sent from my DROID2 using DroidForums App

Martin030908

Super Moderator
Reaction score
its all about money. verizon is going to do what grows the bottom line the most.

as others have stated, people will complain, threaten to leave (and some will) but most will accept it and continue on.

*DroidForums app DOES*

CrazeePolak

Reaction score
How is a person using 30gigs a month not putting more strain on the network than a person using 3gigs... isn't that y at&t's network slow sometimes because of the maasive amount of data iphones use?? I say charge the guys using that much more n maybe they ll think twice before raping the network...
N for all of u winers think about yur car ? Is it capped at 65mph ?? No but that mite me the speed limit... but my car can hit 120mph so y cant I drive that fast without the popo coming after me... I paid good money for my car to got 120 wut the hell... lol

Sent from my DROID2 GLOBAL using DroidForums App

rebaf

Reaction score
How is a person using 30gigs a month not putting more strain on the network than a person using 3gigs... isn't that y at&t's network slow sometimes because of the maasive amount of data iphones use?? I say charge the guys using that much more n maybe they ll think twice before raping the network...
N for all of u winers think about yur car ? Is it capped at 65mph ?? No but that mite me the speed limit... but my car can hit 120mph so y cant I drive that fast without the popo coming after me... I paid good money for my car to got 120 wut the hell... lol

at and t's data and calls are on the same setup. verizons are not.
there is a difference in the networks.
not arguing, just pointing out that isnt the best comparison to use.

czerdrill

Silver Member
Reaction score

because the network is built for that "strain"...the average user uses far less than a gig a month...yes...less than a gig. if one person is using 30gigs a month it's not going to cripple the network...nor is one million people using 30gigs a month...the network is built for that.

if they charge the people using that much data it'll be simply because it'll get them more money, not because the vzw network is crippled and sputtering along...it's not...and honestly nor is at&t. the whole "at&t sucks and is slow" is more urban legend than truth, as surveys of at&t users have proven time and time again...

creating tiers is to get money off the highest users, not to help the lowest users.

i think a report said last year that the average smartphone usage now is like 260MB...MB...not GB. it's all about money.