Verizon Killing Unlimited Data

boz347sc

Reaction score
I pay for unlimited data, not unlimited until Verizion wants to change it. The know full well how much data would be used per month and offered the plan. I dont tether but I still use more then 2gigs a month on my Unlimited plan.
As far as the can analogy think of it like the Autobahn, no speed limit one some parts but wouldnt you be pissed if you got a ticket for going 120 on the part where there is no limit?

czerdrill

Silver Member
Reaction score
I pay for unlimited data, not unlimited until Verizion wants to change it. The know full well how much data would be used per month and offered the plan. I dont tether but I still use more then 2gigs a month on my Unlimited plan.
As far as the can analogy think of it like the Autobahn, no speed limit one some parts but wouldnt you be pissed if you got a ticket for going 120 on the part where there is no limit?

um no...you pay for unlimited until verizon wants to change it. not sure what made you think you have unlimited data until the end of time. verizon can change their policies/plans whenever they want. odd that you would think otherwise.

the only thing verizon can't do is change you mid contract. after that they can do whatever they want.

your autobahn analogy is incorrect. what you're suggesting is that verizon will send you a letter tomorrow and say "here's a $250 overage charge"...that's not going to happen.

what you should have said was, if the autobahn put a speed limit on all its parts, and you got a $120 ticket should you be pissed. the answer is no...because you know there's a speed limit. if vzw imposes caps it'll be known to you when you sign your contract. complaining about it is akin to the people saying they have a right to tether because they have unlimited data...in other words, dumb.

boz347sc

Reaction score
No its correct. I signed a contract for unlimited data. I will use all the data I want because right now there is no restriction. I do not think I should be forced to pay more just because I use more like some of the post suggest. That was not to adress a verizon policy but directed at the suggestion that heavey users should pay more even though they have unlimited plans. Im not saying Verizon cant change the plan but they can not do it in the middle of my contract like you stated and if they do on the next one I will take my money else where. I should have worded it different to address the posters not Verizon policy.
And like I stated above I do not tether and do not think just because I can that I should.

Last edited:

czerdrill

Silver Member
Reaction score
No its correct. I signed a contract for unlimited data. I will use all the data I want because right now there is no restriction. I do not think I should be forced to pay more just because I use more like some of the post suggest. That was not to adress a verizon policy but directed at the suggestion that heavey users should pay more even though they have unlimited plans. Im not saying Verizon cant change the plan but they can not do it in the middle of my contract like you stated and if they do on the next one I will take my money else where. I should have worded it different to address the posters not Verizon policy.
And like I stated above I do not tether and do not think just because I can that I should.

no one is arguing that they can change it mid contract. they can't. your autobahn analogy is suggesting that they can change it mid contract and that's why it's an incorrect analogy.

if there is no speed limit in certain areas of the autobahn and you get a ticket while going 120 in those areas, yes..you should be pissed. the same way if you get a notice from verizon saying they're charging you for overages (if you didn't tether) when you're on an unlimited plan..they can't do that, and they won't (unless you tether in which case they can do that if they wanted to).

no one is saying verizon is going to change your contract mid contract and start charging you for overages. however, if you agree to a cap, then you have no right to get upset. they can change the terms of their plans whenever they want, and if they say you can't have service unless you agree to their terms, then you can't have service unless you agree to their terms. you're only option would be to leave (which you say you would...and that's your choice...the point is verizon dictates what happens on their network, not the user...you don't have any rights unless verizon gives you those rights).

CrazeePolak

Reaction score
Yea ok its built for that strain today but I don't know if u guys realize what% of cell phone users actually use smart phones... im actually in the industry n smart phone users only make up around 20% of cell phone users! Its hard to believe... but in the nxt few years this market is said to increase up to 300% ! The network has to keep up with this exploding demand otherwise it will suffer soon... tier plans seems to be the immideate solution for these companies until this growth levels out...

Sent from my DROID2 GLOBAL using DroidForums App

AngryHatter

Reaction score
Yea ok its built for that strain today but I don't know if u guys realize what% of cell phone users actually use smart phones... im actually in the industry n smart phone users only make up around 20% of cell phone users! Its hard to believe... but in the nxt few years this market is said to increase up to 300% ! The network has to keep up with this exploding demand otherwise it will suffer soon... tier plans seems to be the immideate solution for these companies until this growth levels out...

Gee what a bummer that they need to spend some of the profits on updating the infrastructure that supports them.
Cry all the way to the bank.
And yes, I read the same article. Shows how they have been NOT planning well for the future.

CrazeePolak

Reaction score
Ya well true that im sure the moneys there to upgrade it but don't think upgrades will keep up with the rising data demands... its still ok now.. atnt feels it a little...

rebaf

Reaction score
its funny when some people say that saying ill leave verizon if they cap is an idle threat they dont care about, yet then they turn around and say that capping is a pure profit move and that is all businesses care about....

then why havent they capped?
because they know they'll lose a ton of business.
apparently "idle threats" have a signifigant amount of influence.

kodiak799

Gold Member
Reaction score
At the end of the day, the main purpose of my cell phone is to, you know, talk to people. I'll never go to Sprint, or probably AT&T, so all that would happen with me if VZW makes their data plans obscene is no more data for me.

It's about profit maximizing strategy, and VZW knows their business better than the bumpkins here. If they go to limited plans, they'll lose some customers, but they don't care about that. $40 off of 10 people is more than $30 off of 12. Simple economics. It's a crime our colleges want to teach kids about the geography of rocks rather than something useful.

nakhleh926

Reaction score
I'll probably have no choice but to go to a dumbphone if they cap things, I've already used 1.6gb in one day, I never thought it was much till you people stated you use less per month. Really though it wouldn't be the end of the world, those indestructible Casio phones are quite badass. I used to drop it on purpose to get a giggle, made my day.

Sent from my DROIDX using DroidForums App

MoeDaddy

Reaction score
At the end of the day, the main purpose of my cell phone is to, you know, talk to people. I'll never go to Sprint, or probably AT&T, so all that would happen with me if VZW makes their data plans obscene is no more data for me.

Funny thing is a year or so ago I would agree but these days I'd say I use my phone for calling less than 10% of the time. My phone has become my main access to email, txt, bank accounts, merchant accounts and virtually all my online activity when not using my computer. Since I've gone droid I very rarely even use my laptop at home so for me data is the main function of my smartphone and the voice is now secondary. Every year I use less and less minutes and more and more communication is via txt, IM, FB, email, etc...

CrazeePolak

Reaction score
Hey guys apparently verizon's network is having issues with data speeds due to 'data hogs' according to cnn... so if yur in the top 5% expect yur phones data speed to 'hit the breaks' at peak hours..... verizon said they are not going to let 5% of users slow down the network for the 95%... I like this solution better than tiered plans

shdowman

Reaction score
Oh no....this will be in ADDITION to tiered plans. Make no mistake....

Sent from my SCH-I500 (2.2 froyo..thank you kaos) using DroidForums App