OP
bkdodger

bkdodger

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Note 10+
Wow! "Extraordinary amounts" is so vague (which I assume is the point)...

Sent from my SM-G935T using Tapatalk

Yeah I don't know what that means but why not just them we throttle you to low speeds ...

6S PLUS

Mustang02

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Nexus 6P/5X
Tmo throttles. Why can't Verizon? Man vzw really wants shared data revenue. Tmo must be hurting them.

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

droidprincess

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Iphone 7 Plus
Twitter
droidprincesstx
Ah-ha!! I've been saying this was coming!!

Sent from my SM-G928V using Tapatalk

droidprincess

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Iphone 7 Plus
Twitter
droidprincesstx
Tmo throttles. Why can't Verizon? Man vzw really wants shared data revenue. Tmo must be hurting them.

It may not be so much that TMO is hurting VZ but more that VZ is ready to dump the users who are staying out of contract and taking advantage of a service and plan that is no longer available. Just my opinion...

pc747

Rescue Squad
Reaction score
It's not red that fears the pink, it's blue.

I don't think T-Mobile is hurting Verizon at all, or at least not to where they are worried based on the numbers. Until enough people switch over and don't report back regretting it because of reliability, Verizon knows they are going to be fine. It took me years to finally feel comfortable to make the switch to (arguably) the next best carrier in att; knowing that I would save money, I was willing to pay a little more for better services.

The company that fears T-Mobile the most is ATT because they know T-Mobile can steal customers at any time, they've done it.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

Last edited:

Mustang02

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Nexus 6P/5X
It may not be so much that TMO is hurting VZ but more that VZ is ready to dump the users who are staying out of contract and taking advantage of a service and plan that is no longer available. Just my opinion...

You're talking about a lot of people then. Every time they change a plan, you can stay on the old, outdated ones. Take this new Verizon plan that came out a couple weeks ago, it's opt-in.

Mustang02

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Nexus 6P/5X
I'm waiting for something to push me. Once that happens, peace Verizon!

Reactions: cr6

FoxKat

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo 2 & Galaxy S7
I really don't think it's going to hurt very many at all. I would bet that they will do automated analysis of UDP plans by comparing them with the new tiered plans, looking at average usage over the last 6 months to 1 year, and where the data consumption exceeds the comparably priced tiered plans by a factor of perhaps 50% to 100%, it will be those that get the notice.

Don't forget that there are different UDP plans and with each different plan comes different pricing which translates to different profit margins. This is why I don't think it will be a set number of GB but will vary based on each user. This is a profit margin push, nothing more, IMHO. They want to eliminate the worst "abusers" of the plans but will leave alone those who are not being "extraordinary amounts" abusers (in their opinion).

The issue is they didn't forecast the astronomical increases in data consumption that would be driven by advanced technology making phones of today more powerful than desktop workstations of just a few years ago. Also with the massive increase in video streaming of HD video, automatic cloud backup of 21MP camera photos and video, social media's mushrooming and the fact for many that their phone has all but replaced their desktop or laptop computer for all but the most intensive purposes, data consumption has leaped ahead of phone minutes as the focus of plan pricing. This had to come and I'm not surprised.

I don't expect to receive this notice and really think that perhaps only a very, very few people in this forum will, if any at all.

My usage shows that a tiered plan would have clobbered me with overages in January with 31GB and even more so in February but even 77GB in February isn't IMHO outside the reasonable consumption limits they will be targeting. There are some who are suspending their home internet service, installing wireless tethering apps (or rooting and hacking the same), and using their phones as the hub for their families. This is one of two groups they are targeting. There are then those who are basically blatantly and arrogantly abusing data at rates that at times exceed 100GB in a day. Those are the people who make the whole issue a point of focus for Verizon and IMHO they deserve what they get.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

FoxKat

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo 2 & Galaxy S7
You're talking about a lot of people then. Every time they change a plan, you can stay on the old, outdated ones. Take this new Verizon plan that came out a couple weeks ago, it's opt-in.

I really don't think it will be "everyone" on UDP plans, or even anything close to that. Instead it's likely to be a very minimal amount - the worst of the worst abusers.

Miller6386

Developer
Developer
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Note 8
Twitter
CoreyFMiller
I left UDP a few years ago and really don't regret it. We were able to get the GF a smart phone again and internet at home for just a little more than I was paying for what we had before... Now with the new VZW plan I have no real reservations about what we get... It is a little overpriced but the phone works most everywhere I need it too.. There are a few dead areas BUT the only carrier I would leave for is TMO but I have to think that their dead spots are just as bad and probably more... I say that if TMO grows in my area/state I will for sure jump to them.

cr6

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.dronewolfmedia.com
Current Phone Model
Galaxy S7 Edge
Twitter
@dronewolfmedia
Ah-ha!! I've been saying this was coming!!

"You" huh? LOL!
EVERYBODY has been saying this for the past 4 years.
IMO, it's simply another scare tactic that Verizon is using in order to get people to "voluntary" leave their UDP's. They do it EVERY year and every year people start freaking out saying "I told you so, I told you so".

But yeah.....I'm a bit concerned, "this time".
I use more than 50gig & less than 300.
Good thing T-mo is growing in my area.... I may have to take a gander. LOL!

S5 tap'n