Verizon's New Unlimited Data Plan First Impressions

Sajo

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 7 Pro
I do not have a source, but I read somewhere that they will not throttle unless the mobile traffic is heavy in the area. that could be why some are lucky and some are not so.
Correct, that is their rule. It's on their website, on the phones My Verizon widget, all over the place. Some folks were concerned initially that the throttling would be heavily imposed at 22GB, which doesn't seem to be the case. So we are sharing our experiences here to see who has / has not been throttled and how the new plan seems to be working

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

kodiak799

Gold Member
Reaction score
I may have to think about parting with UDP, perhaps when I find a phone that I want to upgrade to.

Even if VZW does throttle - mind you, after you've hit 22GB - it would still depend on how low they limit you. 3.0 mbps wouldn't really be noticeable for casual surfing, app data and music (streaming services top out at 320kbps for premium audio).

You would probably only feel it transferring large files to Dropbox and the like (if you're in some kind of hurry waiting for that to happen)....but mainly only on 1080p video. Gaming, too, I suppose.

I know throttling normally says 3G speeds, and maybe that's an easy implementation. But with other advanced bandwidth management/optimization tools available(?), they certainly should be capable to throttle you to 3.0 mbps rather than 3G speeds. Although I think I used to hit nearly 2.0 mbps on 3G if I had a good signal. And presumably that band has very little congestion these days, so speeds might be even better.

I don't watch video on my phone, or play online games. I do tether a lot when traveling, and might do that to watch a video or tv on my laptop or tablet....but maybe there's no real reason to hang on to my UDP plan.

cesar357

Reaction score
I do not have a source, but I read somewhere that they will not throttle unless the mobile traffic is heavy in the area. that could be why some are lucky and some are not so.
That's what I heard as well. I was told by the employee. I was at a concert about 3 weeks ago or so, in Pasadena Ca and couldn't get reception. But I think it was the area.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Sajo

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 7 Pro
From the My Verizon widget. Speeds "may be" reduced...

50ca368dbbf7f76431793929edb46b2c.jpg

kodiak799

Gold Member
Reaction score
I wonder if they prioritize based on data use - would a 40GB user be treated equal with someone who burned thru 1TB?

The one thing that gives me pause is, as this plan gains in popularity, VZW will end-up needing to throttle more and more. The current UDP cannot be throttled.

And then we have to wait and see what happens with 5G, which probably won't being rolling out for 2-3 more years.

liftedplane

Gold Member
Reaction score
I wonder if they prioritize based on data use - would a 40GB user be treated equal with someone who burned thru 1TB?

The one thing that gives me pause is, as this plan gains in popularity, VZW will end-up needing to throttle more and more. The current UDP cannot be throttled.

And then we have to wait and see what happens with 5G, which probably won't being rolling out for 2-3 more years.
That and the new low band rollout coming from t-mobile, big red better be careful.

Sent from my VS988 using Tapatalk

Wadman

Reaction score
I have had this for about 4 months or so. Never been throttled...ever...we have no viable internet provider where we live so we use our hotspot for everything. I got caught up on game of thrones over the summer and one month used over 300 gigs on my line alone, and was never throttled. I live in a town of 10,000 people so that may be why. For me, the switch saved me $65 bucks. It's been great for us so far.

P.S. Download speeds were consistently at 30-45
Upload speeds were consistently around 20-30
That's the norm for my area of coverage.

me just sayin

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Note 8
I have had this for about 4 months or so. Never been throttled...ever...we have no viable internet provider where we live so we use our hotspot for everything. I got caught up on game of thrones over the summer and one month used over 300 gigs on my line alone, and was never throttled. I live in a town of 10,000 people so that may be why. For me, the switch saved me $65 bucks. It's been great for us so far.

P.S. Download speeds were consistently at 30-45
Upload speeds were consistently around 20-30
That's the norm for my area of coverage.

I think for now most users will not get throttled. now wait until after the fcc decides what they are going to do with net neutrality and see what happens.

Miklb58

Silver Member
Reaction score
I'm still waiting to hear from someone who has multiple lines on this plan, to see if when they are throttled , if all lines get slowed down once a single line exceeds the threshold, or does only that single line that exceeds the threshold get the slow down.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

Sajo

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 7 Pro
Only the line that exceeds the limit gets throttled

Miklb58

Silver Member
Reaction score
Thanks for that.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

kodiak799

Gold Member
Reaction score
I think for now most users will not get throttled. now wait until after the fcc decides what they are going to do with net neutrality and see what happens.

Throttling is not necessarily a net neutrality issue, and never has been. Treating all video equally is not a net neutrality issue - SELECTIVELY throttling certain providers or blocking certain apps IS, and existing law already handles that under anti-monopoly laws (and VZW and others have been fined heavily when they did that).

Throttling ALL TRAFFIC beyond a data cap is not net neutrality (where VZW got in trouble for doing that on the classic UDP plans was a specific FCC agreement for that 4G band so, again, handled by existing law). Deciding you will only offer 1080p not 4K video is NOT net neutrality, as long as it applies equally across the board.

Net Neutrality gets thrown around far too liberally - usually the default response for anything someone doesn't like. But all NN really is about is that the little guy isn't priced out from competing.

me just sayin

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Note 8
Throttling is not necessarily a net neutrality issue, and never has been. Treating all video equally is not a net neutrality issue - SELECTIVELY throttling certain providers or blocking certain apps IS, and existing law already handles that under anti-monopoly laws (and VZW and others have been fined heavily when they did that).

Throttling ALL TRAFFIC beyond a data cap is not net neutrality (where VZW got in trouble for doing that on the classic UDP plans was a specific FCC agreement for that 4G band so, again, handled by existing law). Deciding you will only offer 1080p not 4K video is NOT net neutrality, as long as it applies equally across the board.

Net Neutrality gets thrown around far too liberally - usually the default response for anything someone doesn't like. But all NN really is about is that the little guy isn't priced out from competing.

not going to debate so this is all I will say about it, but it could be about net neutrality. that is why I said it depends what the fcc does about it. even you stated it could be when you said as long as it is across the board. there is already content from some service providers that does not count towards data caps. this also means it does not count towards throttling - that does not sound like across the board to me.