Verizon's New Unlimited Data Plan First Impressions

drtnsnw

Reaction score
Last month I called VZW a total of 3 different times asking the question about where to watch my hotspot data. I finally got to someone who supposedly knew what they were talking about and this is what he told me. The data on the plan is the data on the plan! No splitting it into chunks like the 10gig we were lead to believe. He said if you want to hotspot 20 gigs, go for it but if it gets congested you "may be slowed down"!! I have looked all over the app and website to find a place that tells me how much hotspot data used and there is nothing!!

BTW, the UDP has been great for my family, my son and I use tons of data but the wife doesn't so we may back her down

Chris

Miklb58

Silver Member
Reaction score
Last month I called VZW a total of 3 different times asking the question about where to watch my hotspot data. I finally got to someone who supposedly knew what they were talking about and this is what he told me. The data on the plan is the data on the plan! No splitting it into chunks like the 10gig we were lead to believe. He said if you want to hotspot 20 gigs, go for it but if it gets congested you "may be slowed down"!! I have looked all over the app and website to find a place that tells me how much hotspot data used and there is nothing!!

BTW, the UDP has been great for my family, my son and I use tons of data but the wife doesn't so we may back her down

Chris
I wondered the same thing, but their answer to you makes zero sense.
If what they told you were true, then they would have just advertised a 22GB threshold for everything including the hotspot.
Alternatively, if what they said is true, if you hit 10GB while tethering, your entire data would then be subject to possibly being throttled.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

TisMyDroid

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Samsung Note 3
I wondered the same thing, but their answer to you makes zero sense.
If what they told you were true, then they would have just advertised a 22GB threshold for everything including the hotspot.
Alternatively, if what they said is true, if you hit 10GB while tethering, your entire data would then be subject to possibly being throttled.

I agree, Miklb58, but you're talking about Verizon here, lol! They advertise to give you the appearance that you're getting a good deal and that if you want a better deal, pay a bit more for it. In this case it looks like Verizon wants you to think you have a "limited" unlimited plan even though maybe it isn't.

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

drtnsnw

Reaction score
so if they are going to charge me extra for MHS show me where it says how much I am using, there is no place to see that. Not saying you are not right just can't find any info. Also, except from people reporting it where in there policy is this 10 gig cap?? I couldn't find that either

Chris

Miklb58

Silver Member
Reaction score
so if they are going to charge me extra for MHS show me where it says how much I am using, there is no place to see that. Not saying you are not right just can't find any info. Also, except from people reporting it where in there policy is this 10 gig cap?? I couldn't find that either

Chris
I don't know how they can tell. I remember when they introduced the New Verizon Unlimited Plan, and seeing the 22GB threshold for overall data, and a 10GB threshold for tethering. I assumed that they probably have some way of knowing that a user is tethered.

And I didn't think they would charge anyone for exceeding the 10GB threshold, I thought it was a throttling of speed that they may impose.

Last edited:

Sajo

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 7 Pro
I don't know how they can tell. I remember when they introduced the New Verizon Unlimited Plan, and seeing the 22GB threshold for overall data, and a 10GB threshold for tethering. I assumed that they probably have some way of knowing that u user is tethered.

And I didn't think they would charge anyone for exceeding the 10GB threshold, I thought it was a throttling of speed that they may impose.

That's how I understand it also; no additional charges will apply if you go over the 10GB hotspot cap. The only thing that may happen is a slower hotspot speed "if" the network is congested.

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

Miklb58

Silver Member
Reaction score
.................... Also, except from people reporting it where in there policy is this 10 gig cap?? I couldn't find that either

Chris
17f0d5e5cbce79bb2f4aa691d45f4fb9.jpg

Last edited:

Miklb58

Silver Member
Reaction score
I haven't seen it advertised, but I'm pretty sure that earlier in this thread, someone said that the 10GB/22GB thresholds are 'per user", and not for an entire account.

I'm still very interested in hearing from a user who has multiple devices on the unlimited plan, to confirm that a single device that has reached the threshold, and is being throttled, does not affect the speed of the other devices on the same account.

Sajo

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 7 Pro
I haven't seen it advertised, but I'm pretty sure that earlier in this thread, someone said that the 10GB/22GB thresholds are 'per user", and not for an entire account.

I'm still very interested in hearing from a user who has multiple devices on the unlimited plan, to confirm that a single device that has reached the threshold, and is being throttled, does not affect the speed of the other devices on the same account.

I can confirm that for 4G Cell Data it is per line. All four of my lines used over 60GB last month, with one line being 34GB just on that phone, and none of us were throttled.

Miklb58

Silver Member
Reaction score

I can confirm that for 4G Cell Data it is per line. All four of my lines used over 60GB last month, with one line being 34GB just on that phone, and none of us were throttled.

But what I am interested in seeing is this.
Say 5 lines use 5+/- GB each, and line #6 uses 34GB.
All devices are in the same location, and it is a highly congested tower.
I'd be interested in knowing that only line #6 gets throttled.

liftedplane

Gold Member
Reaction score
Which phone do you have? Does it have wifi calling built in?
yeah my v20 does have it but it doesn't always turn on and sometimes I have to manually go into the advanced settings and turn it on... it's complete BS and just a headache.

as for seeing how much you've tethered... you can setup data usage in android settings and it will keep track. I have mine set to reset on the same day as my bill... I can simply pop into settings and see how much I've tethered so far.

Wadman

Reaction score
I have used 62 gigs this month, my wife has used 53. We haven't noticed any decrease in speeds. We use our mobile hotspot a ton because that's the only viable interned option we have. My 2 sons were both connected to my hotspot last night and one was watching netflix, the other was watching youtube. Neither one had any issues with buffering at all. Not sure how long this will continue but so far we haven't seen any throttling.

cesar357

Reaction score
I've been debating about this myself. I have an old unlimited data plan. I was grandfathered in as well. Same situation as original post. Buy from phones full price, cash. I have 2 unlimited data plans and one 5gb plan for my son. I pay around $350 per month. That's including payment of 2 phones that they have allowed us to get through Verizon without losing our old plans. I think I would save lots of money if I went into one of these not so truly unlimited data plans but is it really worth it. I use quite a bit per month and would hate to get throttled.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

liftedplane

Gold Member
Reaction score
I've been debating about this myself. I have an old unlimited data plan. I was grandfathered in as well. Same situation as original post. Buy from phones full price, cash. I have 2 unlimited data plans and one 5gb plan for my son. I pay around $350 per month. That's including payment of 2 phones that they have allowed us to get through Verizon without losing our old plans. I think I would save lots of money if I went into one of these not so truly unlimited data plans but is it really worth it. I use quite a bit per month and would hate to get throttled.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk
I saved a few hundred myself, waited over a month, and so far it's been completely worth it.