Best Car Dock

OP
scottysize

scottysize

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
iPhone XS Max
Hmmm. What navigation app might you be referencing? What I currently have installed is Google Maps Navigation (Beta).
I also posed this question on the Motorola forum: "I plan on purchasing a Motorola car dock for the MAXX. I would also like to purchase a Motorola portable car speaker that supports blue tooth. When I get the phone and the speaker to connect, will it work using a navigation application? In other words, when I have the MAXX in navigation mode will the phone send the verbal instructions about when to turn, etc. to the speaker?"

The response I got back was: "Yes the naviagation voice will be transmited through the bluetooth speaker, I do this and works great."

Thing about it.:icon_ lala:

Sorry. I forgot. I'm working 12 hour shift tonight. I'll get it uploaded hopefully Sunday.

OP
scottysize

scottysize

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
iPhone XS Max
Hmmm. What navigation app might you be referencing? What I currently have installed is Google Maps Navigation (Beta).
I also posed this question on the Motorola forum: "I plan on purchasing a Motorola car dock for the MAXX. I would also like to purchase a Motorola portable car speaker that supports blue tooth. When I get the phone and the speaker to connect, will it work using a navigation application? In other words, when I have the MAXX in navigation mode will the phone send the verbal instructions about when to turn, etc. to the speaker?"

The response I got back was: "Yes the naviagation voice will be transmited through the bluetooth speaker, I do this and works great."

Thing about it.:icon_ lala:

Sorry. I'm worthless. I have no excuse other than I just plain forgot. Here you go.

DSC00016.jpg

Sending you a PM too.

Telescopist

Reaction score
Sorry. I'm worthless. I have no excuse other than I just plain forgot. Here you go.

DSC00016.jpg

Thanks. You didn't forget. I maintained a position on your list!

I have the same app running now. I like it a lot except it is a bit of a trick to exit out of it.
After pause to consider all of the options regarding a car dock here is what I decided to do.
First, I installed these two apps:

Car Home Doc
https://play.google.com/store/apps/developer?id=IG88+Apps
Car Mode Control
https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=net.cwfk.ig88.carmode

They work seamlessly with Navigator.

Then for @ $16, I got this PDA holder mfg. by Arkon through Amazon dot com.
Dash Mount Holder by Arkon
Amazon.com: Mobile Grip Flat Surface Dash Mount Holder: Electronics
I'll run sound through this blue tooth speaker the Jabra Cruiser 2 that I also purchased..
Amazon.com: Jabra CRUISER2 Bluetooth In-Car Speakerphone: Cell Phones & Accessories
It was nip and tuck between the much revered Roadster and the Jabra - basically a coin toss. And since a goodly portion of people on this list like the Roadster, I decided to be 'different'. :blink:
The reviews - what reviews there are on the Motorola Maxx car dock are tepid. Plus the damn thing is expensive. Plus you have to rip off any slip on cover you have for your phone since Motorola dropped the ball in the engineering phase. Then, there are some options that appear to be missing from Navigator such as the ability to go into settings and automatically dim the screen at night. (At least that is what I read) Regardless, I had to find an app that would take the place of what is built into Motorola or Verizon's car doc since all I was purchasing was a holder. Hope I am making sense.

I'm expecting delivery any day now re: the Jabra, and the dash mount holder. Time will tell whether or not my scheme will work or not.

OP
scottysize

scottysize

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
iPhone XS Max
in order to exit out, just push the back button. I do it all the time when I'm watching Netflix, or NFL on the way home :p

Telescopist

Reaction score
in order to exit out, just push the back button. I do it all the time when I'm watching Netflix, or NFL on the way home :p

Yeah. Pushing the back tab (bottom of phone to right of 'home' gets you back to the home screen. But since the Navigation has in a sense been handed of to the Car Doc app it - (Navigation) is still running in the background. This is confirmed when I push the 'home' tab. When I push the home tab, the Navigation window once again opens up as per the window that Scottysize displayed. The only way I have found to really exit Navigation is by pushing the back tab, opening up Car Mode - a utility that turns Car Doc on and off. It's just an extra step but this app has to be shut down.

Reiles

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Nexus 6
I saw this thread after I already purchased my dock from Verizon. It worked well but I had so many cables all over my car. Audio output, usb charger, and I was using an FM transmitter for my car audio. It was overwhelming! I decided that the USB/Audio cable in one would reduce the number of wires cluttering up my dashboard and it was worth the 50 bucks just for that purpose. So I bought it and installed it into my car. I bought an auxiliary input for my 3.5 audio cable and installed it into my stock stereo. Didn't really like the fact that there was a cable visible at all, so I hard wired it into my car's 12 volt DC connection. It was an easy install and now I have zero visible cables in my car(from the drivers perspective) It charges and plays audio through the car's stereo now. Taking calls requires my to push the speaker phone button when answering the phone. This way the call is taken through the speakers instead of the phone's speaker. Thought I would show the finished product.

The vehicle is a Honda Accord 2003. The AUX input I used was a BlitzSafe(60 Bucks). I used various youtube videos to show me how to take apart my dashboard. Splicing into my cars 12 volt was done by soldering onto the connections of the 12 volt charger included with the Motorola car mount kit.

OP
scottysize

scottysize

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
iPhone XS Max
In my truck I ran mine through the pillar on the side. Then I spliced in a DC adapter, hid it under the dash and tapped into the cig lighter wire. Then I just ran the speaker wire to the 3.5mm jack, so I only have two wires showing. One out the dock, and one in the 3.5mm jack. Also, my accessory plug is still available, since I just tied into the wire. It's a pretty simple task that took me about an hour just because I wanted to make everything pretty.

This is a picture of my car mount. I ran it through the pillar as well, but since I have bluetooth audio, I didn't need the speaker for it.
photobucket-4551-1331496095904.jpg

Reiles

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Nexus 6
In my truck I ran mine through the pillar on the side. Then I spliced in a DC adapter, hid it under the dash and tapped into the cig lighter wire. Then I just ran the speaker wire to the 3.5mm jack, so I only have two wires showing. One out the dock, and one in the 3.5mm jack. Also, my accessory plug is still available, since I just tied into the wire. It's a pretty simple task that took me about an hour just because I wanted to make everything pretty.

Hard wiring the charger seems like a really useful thing to do. I'm thinking Micro USB will be the standard charging-plug in Androids for the next few years. Investing in a discreet hardwired connection seems like a smart idea. This USB/Audio cable is priceless, someone should advertise this cable to be sold independently of the dock.

cmorty72

Reaction score
Anyone here sporting a Case Mate Pop case on their Razr using a car dock? From what I've gathered, this case is just a tad bit thicker than the Otter Box Commuter and thinner than the Defender.

Nizmoz

Reaction score
Anyone who has this mount, can you guys tell me if there is a way to mount it to my Proclip without the suction cup? Anyone have pictures of the back of the unit itself?

Thanks!

surferdave

Reaction score
Anyone who has this mount, can you guys tell me if there is a way to mount it to my Proclip without the suction cup? Anyone have pictures of the back of the unit itself?

Thanks!

The ProClip Garmin Ball Mount works perfectly with it; I changed out my old ProClip mount for my Droid Incredible for this one. I'll try to get a picture for you later.

I think what they now list as "MOTONAV" devices on the compatibility list may include it.

ProClip Ball Mount

Nizmoz

Reaction score
The ProClip Garmin Ball Mount works perfectly with it; I changed out my old ProClip mount for my Droid Incredible for this one. I'll try to get a picture for you later.

I think what they now list as "MOTONAV" devices on the compatibility list may include it.

ProClip Ball Mount

Maybe a picture will help but unsure what you have to make this work. Maybe a little more detail. Thanks!

surferdave

Reaction score
Check this video out......the ProClip ball mount replaces the suction cup mount this guy shows in the video at about 0:40. He shows the cradle at about 1:20 and turns it around so you can see the socket that locks around the ball mount.

[video=youtube;W61jINh65_k]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W61jINh65_k"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W61jINh65_k[/video]

tpaege1

Reaction score
has anyone obtained a R Maxx doc and if so where, Ive been looking and not had much luck yet, the standard razr doc is not big enough.