Bloatware apps safe to remove on the Droid 4

chefboyardee

Reaction score
Slow afternoon at work so I have a few minutes...I have not unfrozen all my apps yet but I have tested these and these are NOT causing the problem. I am using the following to test:

Unfreeze app
Use home switcher app to go to default home
Open drawer
Press physical key

Providing this list in case anyone else is trying the same thing, so you don't have to duplicate my efforts.

AdService
Apps
Backup Assistant (all 4 related apps)
Device Setup
Emergency Alerts
Guided Tours
Help Center
MotoCast
MotoCast ID
My Uploads
Universal Inbox
V CAST Tones
Verizon Location Agent
Verizon Video

Edit: this is annoying :) Defrosting all apps to determine what default action should be!

Last edited:

chefboyardee

Reaction score
Defrosted all apps using a batch command. Rebooted. Used Home Switcher to go back to default home. Opened app drawer, pressed key. Force close.

Seems to be a stock issue? Or else it happened during the rooting process?

obogobo

Reaction score
Glad to hear that I didn't uninstall something critical here, bummer that it doesn't seem to be app related. Anyone else able to reprodice this issue, maybe somone not rooted?

tjk629

Silver Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
NEXUS 6
Defrosted all apps using a batch command. Rebooted. Used Home Switcher to go back to default home. Opened app drawer, pressed key. Force close.

Seems to be a stock issue? Or else it happened during the rooting process?

Are you pressing the search key? If so then it's a GB blur thing. The Pro and X also do it.

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using DroidForums

chefboyardee

Reaction score
Are you pressing the search key? If so then it's a GB blur thing. The Pro and X also do it.

I'm not sure about the OP but I was able to FC com.motorola.home by pressing any key on the physical keyboard.

obogobo

Reaction score
Yeah any physical key does it for me. Potential stock issue? It's not really a big deal, just a bit annoying knowing it happens.

Last edited:

tjk629

Silver Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
NEXUS 6
I'm not sure about the OP but I was able to FC com.motorola.home by pressing any key on the physical keyboard.

Yeah, I think when you do that it opens the search stuff which then FCs.

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using DroidForums

Ihauntu2

Reaction score
I have all apps on the OP list frozen & I'm running into 2 problems.

1st is an app called zumo service that is force closing at random. It doesn't seem to impact the OS, but I'd like to try to figure out what it is and why it's crashing.

2nd is that my gmail is not auto synching. I have to go into the app & force a sync to see the latest emails.

Any ideas what needs unfrozen or changed?

Sent from my DROID4 using DroidForums

obogobo

Reaction score
I guess the problem must be with the search app then because pressing the magnifying glass touch key causes the FC as well. So it makes sense that a physical key press would throw the same error, normally this brings up a search bar like when on the homescreen. Interesting

ndd

Reaction score
I had this too.

Took a long time, but I tracked it down to the Analytics Viewer. If it's frozen, the Cell Data toggle for Smart Actions doesn't work.

even worse, if you freeze imscserver 1.0, you lose the use of cellular data. I found that out last night when I was away from my usual wifi spots; couldn't get on the internet until I defrosted it. phone calls worked, though. note that you have to reboot the phone after freezing/defrosting imscserver before it takes effect.

chefboyardee

Reaction score
Yeah any physical key does it for me. Potential stock issue? It's not really a big deal, just a bit annoying knowing it happens.

Found a friend with a stock, unrooted D4, same thing happens on his. Looks like it is a stock issue!

Of course, first test, he pressed Enter, which worked fine (just opened the first app). :) Apparently you can navigate the app drawer with the arrow keys if you want, and use Enter to open. But any letter key crashed com.motorola.home

chefboyardee

Reaction score
this list is messed up! dont delete any authentication apps it messes this phone up.

Which ones messed your phone up? I have had the following disabled since this list was published and have had no issues:

LinkedIn, Orkut, Photobucket, Skyrock, Twitter

myfishbear

Developer
Developer
Reaction score
yeah but i fixed it hold on ill make a better list that is more phone friendly
-edit
what happened was i couldnt edit my contacts it would crash... but if i used go launcher i could... this was due to an authenticator and some other file i deleted... i just coped my dump back on the phone and started again from scratch... now my phone has minimal junk on it and can hold a charge for a day and 10 hours... under clocked as well to max 800mhz 300mhz min mot_hotplug governor when under 70% battery... runs smooth and long lol

Last edited: