Bye bye Samsung and bye bye Verizon.

mountainbikermark

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
I was a Verizon customer for 21 years. Last summer they shut 1 of 2 lte cells in my town off because it was for emergency personnel to use and they switched carriers. Needless to say lte has been unusable in most parts of town and the Note2 refuses to drop to 3g most of the time because , well it just refuses. After months of talking to various folks at Verizon they decided to see if there was a new cell needed and if so a place to locate it. My church was willing to put one in its steeple, the folks at Verizon came out and tested things around town and came to the conclusion that though there is technically lte, it's basically unusable so the cell was needed. Someone at corporate decided since there is technically lte, no need for more and shot the whole thing down.
Once out of contract a few months I was offered the "loyalty plan" if I signed another contract only. 21 years of on time payments isn't loyalty? (Insert profanity here) that!
T-Mobile has a reputation here for horrible reception but since my wife was interested in the Wal-Mart plan that uses T-Mobile I went by a store and checked things out. Man am I glad I did.
I got the same unlimited minutes/texts and 1gb of data for the same price Verizon offered but without the contract. I also technically have unlimited data after the 1gb but it's at EDGE speed. When you've had 0 ability to use data for so long, it seems like lightning speed vs "can't establish connection" speed. At my house I have 0 ability to use data with Verizon. T-Mobile, depending on the time of day I'm getting between 12-18Mbps down and 3-8Mbps up. It's pretty much the same all over town and surrounding.
The salesman put a SIM card in my Note2 and it works fine but a small voice that has been nagging me since I first got the Note2 said once again "check out the G2". Wow am I glad I did. Phablet sized screen (usable in G2 actually bigger than Note2) on a Rezound sized device? That's just the start of my likes about the new phone. It took me about 5 seconds to acclimate and actually prefer the button placement.
I think others have pretty much covered the perks of the phone in other threads but no Touch Wiz induced lag is pretty darn nice, reception and quality with the Note2 and G2 having a T-Mobile SIM card is hands down winner with the G2. Calls sound like the person is beside me in person vs the dungeon sound on the Note2 and on Verizon it sounded like the other person was in a dungeon with their phone in speakerphone and they felt like skipping words mid way just to be cruel. I never dropped a call with Verizon but I can't count how many times the call was illegible due to dropouts.
My wife ended up sticking with Verizon but moved to pre pay and she and my middle daughter both bought iPhone 4s's. That way their forced into 3g , which is very very useable in my town. They're both happy .
I am really enjoying my move from Samsung and Verizon to the G2. Mommas happy too so all is well.

Support Our Troops!!!
<><
Notate

wcjeep

Reaction score
Great T-Mobile works for you. Where I live and go Verizon easily has the best signal.

OP
mountainbikermark

mountainbikermark

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Only question I have is how far out you live. ;);)

99.9% off my life is in town here. The rest I am trying to get away from civilization anyway.

Sent from my LG-D801 using Tapatalk

OP
mountainbikermark

mountainbikermark

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Great T-Mobile works for you. Where I live and go Verizon easily has the best signal.

I don't know when T-Mobile got good service here. Last time I talked to them a few years back the salesman refused to sell me anything because my home address was in a dead zone.
The salesman this time said last time he was in Luray, last year, there was no service but a friend lives there and said he now has phone but no data service.

KaChow

Reaction score
Your thread title caught my eye... I think come the end of June early July we're going to be seeing a lot of people saying Bye bye Samsung, Hello LG... :biggrin:
including me... :biggrin:

OP
mountainbikermark

mountainbikermark

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
If the G3 is as good as the G2 I agree totally. I'm reading the back buttons are revamped to be more user friendly. The ones on mine are very easy to use and find, they're a lot wider and more pronounced than the Verizon ones. The Verizon G2 buttons felt more like 1 than 3.
Power Amp even sounds better on the G2 than Note2. Bluetooth seems to have a more dynamic range, almost corded quality.
I found some camera lenses on Amazon that are magnetic instead of using a case or universal holder so once they come in if they do as well as reviews are saying I'll be getting rid of my Sony P&S in lieu of this phone. The Sony is 12mp with no optical stability so my phone will actually surpass my old P&S . I'm very happy with the quality of the photos I've gotten so far, haven't tried any videos yet.
Tether is included in my plan, unlike Verizon offed plan, so I'm really liking not needing a 3rd party app to tether.
Silent camera sound without Tasker is also nice.

rsohne

Reaction score
As soon as the G3 hits my wife and I are leaving Verizon for T-Mobile. I picked up a cheap 50.00 T-Mobile Alcatel pay as you go phone and was very surprised that the service was way better than I thought it would be. Call quality was unbelievably clear compared to Verizon which was another shocker, and even though the signal doesn't penetrate through the walls of my home no problem with WiFi calling.

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk

Jeffrey

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
iPhone 7 Plus JB
Intresting. 21 years and VZ couldn't care that you left???

rsohne

Reaction score
They used to be a great company and would do anything to make their customers happy. I actually am glad to give my hard earned cash to someone that deserves it.

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk

Rhino94

Reaction score

At my cottage in northern michigan only gets reception with at&t and verizon. Those r my only 2 options since I regularly go up to my cottage on the weekends. All my friends with tmobile and sprint...dont get anything at my cottage and they just complain..

cr6

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.dronewolfmedia.com
Current Phone Model
Galaxy S7 Edge
Twitter
@dronewolfmedia

Same here. I know I won't be leaving them anytime soon. While they have their fair share of issues, just as ANY company does, the pros far outweigh the cons imho.
They used to be a great company and would do anything to make their customers happy. I actually am glad to give my hard earned cash to someone that deserves it.
I've never had a problem with their customer service. As a matter of fact, they've gone above & beyond on a number of occasions over the years. While their tech support is often hit or miss (Ok, I admit, more miss! lol) I've never had a problem in any other area, whether it's billing issues or replacing a phone they've always taken good care of me. (maybe I've just been lucky all these years) :)

tap'n

TOMMYBOT

Reaction score
i made the switch with my fiance. we were both on verizon. i was on the newest maxx (the maxx ultra) and she was on the iphone 4s.
switched to t-mobile love it. biggest dissappointment is going into san diego the lack of building penetration.
other than that. love the company and customer service.

bkdodger

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Note 10+
Congrats Mark..Happy you got T-Mobile strong for your area ..I too left Verizon after being a customer since 89...I have to say never had issues with customer service ..but it's a business not one reach out from them since I've left ..not that I expected it ..my T-Mobile experience just wasn't as good though ...I really wanted it to work ..but I was getting data drops where I knew I shouldn't ..especially frustrating when it was good one day then not the next ..day two here with AT&T so let's see what it brings ..picked up a M8 only bc I'm on that G3 once I see reports of US roots and stuff ..lol

M8 tapa