[Drivers] Droid X Bluetooth Driver

Jaxidian

Team FreeMyMoto
Premium Member
Developer
Reaction score
Website
www.jaxidian.org
This is the dedicated thread for Droid X Bluetooth Driver information and discussions. Please keep conversation here technical and on-topic. We will strictly moderate off-topic chatter out of this thread. We will keep this OP updated with links and other pieces of information about developing Droid X Wifi Drivers.

AOSP Bluetooth Library Guide states: "BlueZ is Bluetooth 2.1 compatible and should work with any 2.1 chipset"
OMAP36xx Chip Diagram - Should be TI-supplied if the BlueZ implementation isn't specific enough

(more to come)

OP
Jaxidian

Jaxidian

Team FreeMyMoto
Premium Member
Developer
Reaction score
Website
www.jaxidian.org
This is just the tip of the iceberg of information to acquire. While we really need some driver devs, you techie non-devs can help us too! Help us find information, such as the answers to these questions:
  • What is the chipset model of the Bluetooth module inside the Droid X? Is there more than just the OMAP36xx processor involved?
  • Where are some forum posts of people writing/compiling Linux drivers for this chipset?
  • Is there a development portal focused on this chipset?
  • Are there any variations of this chipset inside the Droid X?

Are there any other questions or information that you've stumbled upon regarding this? If you can give us some summaries of what you find and give us plenty of links to what you're finding, this will help us tremendously!

Ubermicro13

Reaction score
According to two sources

device_information [And Developers]

https://www.droid-developers.org/wiki/Motorola_Droid_X

Both state that the Droid X's Bluetooth module is the TriQuint TQM679002.

I was able to find a Data sheet concerning the part here TQM679002

But unfortunately at this time I couldn't find any information regarding Drivers. I will keep looking. Hope this helps in some way.

Edit: It also seems that it is in fact the same module as the Motorola Droid. So contacting people who have worked with this on the D1 could be useful.

Habe

Reaction score
These driver searches are fun, what a great way to learn about the innards of the phone.

Usually it seems that the Droid 2 and X are lumped together because they are similar in a lot of ways but the more I search the more I see similarities between the OG Droid and the X. Maybe some of the secrets to the X will lie within the unlocked OG Droid. Here is an interesting diagram from the OG DROID that shows how the components work with each other from ifixit.com:

Notice the WLAN/Bluetooth chip in the diagram is the same as listed in this teardown of the X:

Teardown of the Motorola Droid X Smart Phone » Recent Teardowns » Chipworks

Now we have drivers for the wireless already, would these also work with the bluetooth since it seems to be a combo chip? Or would the drivers for the bluetooth be in the same location at the WLAN ones?

There seems to to be "conflicting" information between some of the teardown sites. Some list the TI WL1271A some list the TriQuint TQM679002 as the bluetooth controller. From what I am reading it may just be a combination of the two and some list one and some list another. The TriQuint is listed as a FEM (front-end module). Reading more into this led me to this diagram:

Since the TriQuint lists as a WLAN/bluetooth combo FEM (per the link from Ubermicro13) and the WLAN already works and is probably using the TriQuint so I am guessing there won't be drivers for this chip and the TI WL1271A is what we are looking for for the bluetooth to work.

Does this seem reasonable from someone who isn't talking out of their ass :) like I am or did I just try mix jigsaw puzzles together and hope for a nice picture lol

Ubermicro13

Reaction score
There seems to to be "conflicting" information between some of the teardown sites. Some list the TI WL1271A some list the TriQuint TQM679002 as the bluetooth controller. From what I am reading it may just be a combination of the two and some list one and some list another. The TriQuint is listed as a FEM (front-end module). Reading more into this led me to this diagram:

Since the TriQuint lists as a WLAN/bluetooth combo FEM (per the link from Ubermicro13) and the WLAN already works and is probably using the TriQuint so I am guessing there won't be drivers for this chip and the TI WL1271A is what we are looking for for the bluetooth to work.

I was thinking the same. They must both be involved. Does anyone know what we should be looking for?

OP
Jaxidian

Jaxidian

Team FreeMyMoto
Premium Member
Developer
Reaction score
Website
www.jaxidian.org
According to this image from TI (the second link in the OP), there are two parts to the Bluetooth module (one for voice and one for data). Perhaps you two are finding the two different parts? I really don't know, personally.

omap36x.gif

Habe

Reaction score
Looking at the bottom of the page Luca992 posted with the wifi driver, bluetooth is listed as a ToDo.

TODO

• Add information on WLAN-BT co-existence
  • Add porting instructions for Android OS
  • Add more information required for new HW bringup

wl12xx - Linux Wireless

Could they be right in there already?

kicker22004

Reaction score
Im going to tear mine down after work. Ill post the pics and all the info off the chips.ill number the chips to list data easier if that helps.on a side note I have no idea what chipsto list so ill do all of them.

OP
Jaxidian

Jaxidian

Team FreeMyMoto
Premium Member
Developer
Reaction score
Website
www.jaxidian.org
Looking at the bottom of the page Luca992 posted with the wifi driver, bluetooth is listed as a ToDo.

TODO

wl12xx - Linux Wireless

Are you suggesting they might be in the wifi drivers we got working the other day?

Sent from my DROIDX using DroidForums App

Habe

Reaction score

TODO

wl12xx - Linux Wireless

Are you suggesting they might be in the wifi drivers we got working the other day?

That was my thought as I am reading through these websites. It reminded me of the VIA driver packs I used to dl for an old PC motherboard I had. Can there be multi-driver packs for Android development?

Also here is a bunch of TI Android development info from their site I just came across.

Texas Instruments Android Development Kit

I have not gone through all of it (there's a lot) but there is WL1271 info listed with bluetooth info in the user guide I was reading through.

Luca992

Reaction score
I think I found something very useful. On the same web site with the wl12xx they actually provide a service for making people drivers! It looks like they do not even charge for the service beyond providing them a sample device for them to develop on.

CompanyProcess < Main < Foswiki

This is found under the vendor tab on

Welcome - Linux Wireless

Free Linux Wireless Driver Development!

If you are a wireless vendor and would like to see a driver for your hardware in Linux we have good news for you. We will write the driver for you for free! In addition we will also commit to keep testing it through the different kernel versions and support it for you through our community effort. Please note that we are prepared to deal with NDAs. We have arranged a program with the Linux-Foundation to work with NDAs for drivers. NDAs are usually signed either to keep information about the device private until it is announced at a specific date, or to just keep the actual specification documents from being released to the public directly. All code created by this NDA program is to be released under the GPL for inclusion in the main kernel tree, nothing will be obfuscated at all.

If you would like us to write a driver for you please review the CompanyProcess at linuxdriverproject.org effort.

Plus they would make everything open source like aliasxerog wants!

OP
Jaxidian

Jaxidian

Team FreeMyMoto
Premium Member
Developer
Reaction score
Website
www.jaxidian.org
So Alias tried bluetooth with the wifi drivers last night and gets different results but it ultimately hard resets. We need more for bluetooth.

Habe

Reaction score
So Alias tried bluetooth with the wifi drivers last night and gets different results but it ultimately hard resets. We need more for bluetooth.

Does this information from the TI development page have any use? It seems like there is a ton of stuff mentioning drivers. ( Texas Instruments Android Development Kit )

More specifically in the WLAN/Bluetooth section: Android wireless build and porting guide - Texas Instruments Embedded Processors Wiki