Droid 4 Utility for Windows/Mac/Linux

cbalde04

Reaction score
Hey, since we have the fastboot files now, could we get a restor option built into this tool? @DHacker29 put together a lifesaver in the released root tool that saved my life when rsdlite failed me (and many others). I tweeted him yesterday, but it might be a good idea to throw it into this tool vs making another one. He said it shouldn't be hard to make one.
Just an idea.

Sent from my DROID4 using Tapatalk 2

Solange305

Reaction score
Ive been a longtime jailbreaker on my iphones, but new to android. I used this guide to root my Droid 4, but it seems to be outdated (it mentions gingerbread 2.3.5, and Im on 2.3.6):

Root DROID 4 On Android 2.3.5 Gingerbread [How-to Tutorial] | Redmond Pie

I already rooted my phone using it though, can I reroot it using the guide in this thread, or does it not make a difference? Sorry for the super noob questions....

Last edited:

zero7404

Reaction score
i just bought a d4, planning on rooting it. just curious, what is safestrap ? is it the equivalent of droid2 bootstrap ?

i dont think its necessary to install it because i wont be romming the phone, going to hang out for the official ICS build when its released.

so does anyone know if i do install ota rootkeeper, when the phone is updated to ICS, will it keep root or lose it ?

---
posted via android

zero7404

Reaction score
is it true that the droid 4 has a gsm radio for roaming overseas, or is it just capable of roaming on networks with cdma/lte b13 frequencies ?

if it does have a gsm radio its odd that its not mentioned in the specs on motorola's web site. i heard that ifixit tore one down and found a gsm radio onboard, but why then would this info not be posted to the public ?

verizon announced it will be enabled via software update, so i guess it does have the capability. what im not sure about is whether the radios can be unlocked to allow other sim cards to be used when in europe.

---
posted via android

4low4fun

Reaction score
When I try and run this utility unzipped it only opens for a split second then closes.. I am running as administrator, I am plugged in using factory cable, I am on charge only, I do have de bugging enabled..
I'm pretty sure I've seen some guys on here complaining about their dell computers not cooperating with rooting and flashing. Could that be my problem?
What am I doing wrong?

TechTinker

Reaction score
It's not seeming to work for me. I ran as admin, (im using windows 7) it has debugging enabled, and its charge only. Though when I run and try to root my phone it keeps saying "the system cannot find the path specified"

imgur: the simple image sharer

a_lazy_dude

Reaction score
It's not seeming to work for me. I ran as admin, (im using windows 7) it has debugging enabled, and its charge only. Though when I run and try to root my phone it keeps saying "the system cannot find the path specified"

imgur: the simple image sharer

Had the same exact problem. Ended up rooting by running the exploit .bat directly: Security Research by Dan Rosenberg

Just incase it helps the dev fix this issue, when I ran the exploit, the first lines in the console read:
[*] Waiting for device...
* daemon not running. starting it now *
* daemon started successfully *
[*] Device found.

...after which the rest of the root exploit went through successfully.

Droid_Boi86

Reaction score
...I followed the instructions step by step, I have windows7. My first go around didn't go well, actually ran into same problems tht the above posters went thru. I thought I was SOL, when I tried the second time around I just double clicked instead of right clicking and ran it without doin it as Admin....poof! Sucesss!!

Rum the program without having to run it as Admin..

Sent from my DROID4 using Droid Forums

Last edited:

ladykiller

Reaction score
Its not working for me :sad-b:

I followed the directions that standard101 has typed out.

Ran Droid4Windows.bat as administrator and chose option 1. Hit enter at the "Before continuing, ensure USB....".

I get the following....

Waiting for device...
The system cannot find the path specified.
Device found.
Deploying payload...
Owning phone...
Waiting for phone to reboot.
Root successful! Persisting...
Cleaning up...
Rebooting...
Exploit complete!

Please make a selection or hit ENTER to return:

...and it doesn't actually do anything.

Please help!!

ladykiller

Reaction score
Please disregard my previous post.

I followed the suggestion of Droid_Boi86 and just ran the .bat file and now I have a Superuser Icon

dancedroid

Droid_Boi86

Reaction score
ladykiller said:
Please disregard my previous post.

I followed the suggestion of Droid_Boi86 and just ran the .bat file and now I have a Superuser Icon

dancedroid

Glad u got it working.. :)))

Sent from my rooted DROID4

sleezy

Reaction score
Rooted, SS'd, created recovery of stock+root, no problems. Booted into Safe Strap a couple times no problem, but now, if I hit menu, it boot loops. If I hit search, it starts normally.

Two things I possibly messed up on:

1: I downloaded Rom Manager and premium out of pure habit, but I realized my mistake and uninstalled them without running anything

2: I installed Busy Box Installer, and when I clicked install, it gave me an error saying that it was not compatible with my device. I have also uninstalled Busy Box Installer.

Anybody know why booting into recovery loops me, but booting regular works fine? I haven't seen this issue in this or any other threads.

Thanks!

LocoRon

Reaction score
FYI for any Linux users trying this:

It works, but not with sudo. :(

If you want to go the sudo route, just use 'sudo su', then run the script :D

BTW:

Huge thanks to all those who have made this possible! You guys rock!

djetch

Reaction score
Not sure if I'm doing something wrong but none of the download links work at this time...