Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Iphone 7 Plus
Twitter
droidprincesstx
Why is 12MP bad?
I asked the same thing...
I am not so wowed that I feel the need to drop my S6 Edge+. I do hope with the 6.0 update they give us some of the new edge screen goodies!

♡from my hot Edge+♡

Jeffrey

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
iPhone 7 Plus JB
Moved to S7 Forum

dezymond

Tech Support Mod
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Google Pixel
Battery not being swappable isn't a big deal, especially with quick charge technology, imo. The rest of the industry, except LG, has moved onto that design and it's here to stay, especially with the rise of quick charging. The only people who may be effected by this are the power users and even they carry around spare battery packs.

Megapixels...The megapixel count game has changed so much. Compare the 16MP of the S6 versus the 12MP of the iPhone 6S, unless you're a photographer I doubt the common user would be able to tell the difference if the photos were taken in the same conditions. Camera technology isn't about pixel count anymore, it's about aperture. And from what I heard, the s7 camera blows away the iPhone's, especially in lowlight conditions.

OP
Bluesman2008

Bluesman2008

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Samsung GS5
The megapixel count doesn't really matter for most people. But for those who make big enlargements, it matters.

FoxKat

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo 2 & Galaxy S7
Not just for enlargements but for taking pictures without so much concern for framing the subject and instead just taking random group shots. By having more megapixels you can crop out the less desirable backgrounds or narrow the focus of the desired subject matter and still come out with a reasonably high resolution picture. Most people who use their phone for pictures are not doing so for professional purposes such as portrait photography, but more likely for business purposes such as construction, real estate, interior decorating, etc., or for family and friends photography. In either situation cropping and enlargements are quite common. If I had to choose, I would go for the higher megapixels as long as the lenses are not half bad.

There is no doubt that a 5MP camera with a good lens can result in a better picture than even a 10+ MP camera with a poor lens since it's all about quality of the optics and maximum light gathering.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

mountainbikermark

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Not just for enlargements but for taking pictures without so much concern for framing the subject and instead just taking random group shots. By having more megapixels you can crop out the less desirable backgrounds or narrow the focus of the desired subject matter and still come out with a reasonably high resolution picture. Most people who use their phone for pictures are not doing so for professional purposes such as portrait photography, but more likely for business purposes such as construction, real estate, interior decorating, etc., or for family and friends photography. In either situation cropping and enlargements are quite common. If I had to choose, I would go for the higher megapixels as long as the lenses are not half bad.

There is no doubt that a 5MP camera with a good lens can result in a better picture than even a 10+ MP camera with a poor lens since it's all about quality of the optics and maximum light gathering.

Well said. Add in a good sensor for better lower light shots as well. I'll put my Dare phone with its 3.2 mp, excellent lens and sensor against just about any phone camera today. The software on it is antiquated and is very slow processing compared to today's but the 8x10 prints I've got say it'll do just fine as long as I'm willing to work within its abilities.

Support Our Troops!!!
Beast Mode 4
<><

FoxKat

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Yes, I did leave out the sensor as a variable. Without a good sensor neither MP count nor optics really matter. However sensors being equal higher MP can help make up for lower quality optics.

Last edited:

FoxKat

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Agreed. And without a great team like you guys and gals, this forum wouldn't be as great as it is. Thanks for the support!

jackiescivic

Diamond Member
Reaction score
The fact that they are using a Canon camera is going to be huge. We should receive our live demo devices today. Since I missed out on seeing my Samsung Rep last weekend with a peek of the device, I'm psyched for the demos to arrive!

My 'dislike' for the S7 is going to be the removal of the white phone and only having the option of black (boring) and gold (yuck) on the regular S7. Not fair that the Edge is coming in that gorgeous platinum color.

SAMSUNG, STOP TRYING TO BE LIKE APPLE!

Sent from my SM-G925V using Tapatalk

jackiescivic

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Despite your disdain for the S7, I look forward to hearing your thoughts on the device once you get a chance to spend some hands on time with it @jackiescivic !
Lol I'm pleased with the phones so far. I love the curved back from the Note 5 being added in, and the focus of the camera is so quick! I love that the Edge isn't as wide as the Edge+. Makes me consider going with that, especially since they added more functionality to the Edge.
uploadfromtaptalk1456691265741.jpg
uploadfromtaptalk1456691271506.jpg

Sent from my SM-G925V using Tapatalk

pc747

Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Nice

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N920A using Tapatalk