Got Samsung Galaxy S4 wireless charging back cover and pad from Samsung at half price

bbtkd

Reaction score
I recently found that Samsung sells the wireless charging back cover for the S4 for $39.99 and charging pad for $49.99 on their site, then found a 50% off coupon code (rv18623). After shipping and tax, I paid about $23 ea for the covers and about $27 ea for the pads! I got one set for me and one for my son. I believe the code is good through June, not sure how long they'll have them in stock. Just go to their site, select the S4, click on accessories, click on show all, and it's towards the bottom. I didn't see the set, and in fact didn't note the pads the other day when I bought the covers, but just ordered them today. One thing to note is that the pad does not come with a charger since it uses the 2A charger that comes with the phone. I'm anxious to see if the pad works with my Seidio surface case, particularly since it has the kickstand. Might have to get the non kickstand cover.

Sydman

Premium Member
Premium Member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Nexus 6P
Good looking out, worked for me. Got both for 52 bucks including shipping. Worth a shot.

OP
bbtkd

bbtkd

Reaction score
I should mention that in order to use the 50% off coupon you need to create a Samsung account. This can be done easily by using your Gmail, Facebook, or other listed sites. If you don't want all of their promotional Emails, you have the opportunity to turn those off. If you need additional Samsung 2A AC adapters, I'd get those on Amazon for much cheaper.

Caesarg

Reaction score
Thanks for the info. Ordered the charging back cover, pad and car mount for about 75 total. Great deal,

OP
bbtkd

bbtkd

Reaction score
Thanks for the info. Ordered the charging back cover, pad and car mount for about 75 total. Great deal,

Good point - I should have noted in the subject that you should be able to pick up any accessories with that discount...

jtcsifl

Reaction score
Thanks, I bought the wireless charging cover & mat. Hope it'll work with my Otterbox Commuter case.

coryrk26

Reaction score
I have a commuter case too. Can you let us know if it works or not?

OP
bbtkd

bbtkd

Reaction score
Thanks, I bought the wireless charging cover & mat. Hope it'll work with my Otterbox Commuter case.

I read somewhere that a Qi pad needs to be within 5mm of the foil. In this case, the foil is apparently glued or molded on the inside of the battery cover. The battery cover itself might be 1mm thick, which would leave you a leeway of 4 mm. If the Otterbox Commuter is under 4mm thick you should be OK, I can't imagine it would be that thick. The only way to know is try it, or find someone that has.

wapeye

Reaction score
I read somewhere that a Qi pad needs to be within 5mm of the foil. In this case, the foil is apparently glued or molded on the inside of the battery cover. The battery cover itself might be 1mm thick, which would leave you a leeway of 4 mm. If the Otterbox Commuter is under 4mm thick you should be OK, I can't imagine it would be that thick. The only way to know is try it, or find someone that has.

Qi technology works if the phone's back surface and the pad's charging surface are 40mm apart. But efficiency starts dropping past 5mm.
Cases are not a problem (provided they have no metal parts) as they are usually <2mm thick

OP
bbtkd

bbtkd

Reaction score
Qi technology works if the phone's back surface and the pad's charging surface are 40mm apart. But efficiency starts dropping past 5mm.
Cases are not a problem (provided they have no metal parts) as they are usually <2mm thick

My Seidio surface case has the aluminum kickstand on the back towards the bottom. I'm thinking it won't block the foil, but wonder if it still might cause issues?

wapeye

Reaction score
My Seidio surface case has the aluminum kickstand on the back towards the bottom. I'm thinking it won't block the foil, but wonder if it still might cause issues?

If it is pure aluminum(which is non ferrous), it should not be a problem.
If it's an alloy with some ferrous metal, then it would heat up from the magnetic induction between phone and charger coils.
Even If it does heat up, your Qi charger will detect the losses and stop power transfer for some time and retry, and repeat. But this would mean you won't get proper charge, if any.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk 2

jtcsifl

Reaction score
I just watched a DL video of the wireless kit & the back does add thickness. After seeing it, I don't think ANY case/cover designed for the stock phone will fit properly. I won't sacrifice protection (Otterbox Commuter) for the convenience of wireless charging. If it doesn't fit with my Commuter case off to eBay it will go. Disappointed.

Sydman

Premium Member
Premium Member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Nexus 6P
I just watched a DL video of the wireless kit & the back does add thickness. After seeing it, I don't think ANY case/cover designed for the stock phone will fit properly. I won't sacrifice protection (Otterbox Commuter) for the convenience of wireless charging. If it doesn't fit with my Commuter case off to eBay it will go. Disappointed.

Yeah same here. Mine is supposed to be here Monday, if others have to posted an update by then I shall.

OP
bbtkd

bbtkd

Reaction score

Looks like I'll try to return the two sets I ordered, or will resell. We should be able to return if unopened since they don't tell you about the added thickness negating using a case.