Wireless Charging on your SGS4 in 20 minutes...

FoxKat

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo 2 & Galaxy S7
Truth is, just about any phone can be made wireless charging capable, but The voltages and current rates coming off of those pads are in ranges far outside of what the battery can effectively use to charge, so it's the bridge charging circuit that has to be designed to accept the voltages and current rates from the charging pad and convert them to usable and appropriate voltages and current for the battery. It appears that Samsung has built that key circuitry right into the phone and conveniently placed two terminals immediately above the battery, so all that is required is essentially an antenna - an electric coil that is printed onto a thin film and ends in two contacts that match up with those in the phone's case where the input terminals for the wireless charging are located. The whole thing is probably not much thicker than a business or credit card, so it fits nicely inside the curve of the cover.

In contrast, other phones which are not "wireless charging capable" out of the box, instead require the unique bridge circuit to be built into the cover or case, or even into a completely replaced battery and cover combination, to achieve the same goal. Even though there may be "terminals" in the other phones on the motherboard that tie to the battery and/or charger, the question is whether the circuitry on the motherboard is equipped with the voltage conversion circuitry to accept those different voltages and step them down to the charging voltages required by the battery. I think the likelihood is those terminals are not leading to a voltage step-down circuit but instead directly to the charging circuitry - in other words terminals to TEST the circuitry's functionality, NOT to charge from.

Last edited:

cockerkingdom

Reaction score
The model number of my S4 says: SCH-1545 or i545. I assume it's not the same as the above mentioned, i950 ?

reybie

Reaction score
Found a receiver from fasttech.com for $12 shipped, I hope it works.

wapeye

Reaction score
well said!

Truth is, just about any phone can be made wireless charging capable, but The voltages and current rates coming off of those pads are in ranges far outside of what the battery can effectively use to charge, so it's the bridge charging circuit that has to be designed to accept the voltages and current rates from the charging pad and convert them to usable and appropriate voltages and current for the battery. It appears that Samsung has built that key circuitry right into the phone and conveniently placed two terminals immediately above the battery, so all that is required is essentially an antenna - an electric coil that is printed onto a thin film and ends in two contacts that match up with those in the phone's case where the input terminals for the wireless charging are located. The whole thing is probably not much thicker than a business or credit card, so it fits nicely inside the curve of the cover.

In contrast, other phones which are not "wireless charging capable" out of the box, instead require the unique bridge circuit to be built into the cover or case, or even into a completely replaced battery and cover combination, to achieve the same goal. Even though there may be "terminals" in the other phones on the motherboard that tie to the battery and/or charger, the question is whether the circuitry on the motherboard is equipped with the voltage conversion circuitry to accept those different voltages and step them down to the charging voltages required by the battery. I think the likelihood is those terminals are not leading to a voltage step-down circuit but instead directly to the charging circuitry - in other words terminals to TEST the circuitry's functionality, NOT to charge from.

Bang on about the S4 being more wireless capable by exposing the battery terminals!
In fact, the Galaxy S3 and Note2 also have the same feature, which is why the 'card' variety of receiver modules is easily available for these models too. iPhones, and Sony's don't have this so one has to buy a Qi equipped case. That said, even these card type modules are specific to each model. And as you said, it's because different batteries need different charging inputs as well as algorithms to charge right and stay fit.
The key here is to ensure the card/case has a Qi logo, and to always go for a Qi card specific to your model.
View attachment 64045

The problem I see with case type solutions is that if my phone has a free fall - the connector of the case and the charging port in the phone - both are at risk, apart from the screen :) It might happen once in a thousand times, but it could be a concern.

We too are developing a Qi wireless charger called Qitah, we're done with the electronics! Now trying to get inputs from users on bad experiences while using/maintaining smartphones. While wireless chargers can definitely rid you of the plugging in/out effort, more can be achieved if only we focus on peripheral issues. This will influence our design greatly.

You can use our facebook wall as a place to rant about your pain points. Also trying to familiarize users with Qi charging through our blog.

It's early days, and we're up against the big guys! Need all your wishes and support :)

Last edited:

FoxKat

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo 2 & Galaxy S7
Wapeye, first - thanks for the complement. I've been known on these forums as somewhat of a quasi-expert in things related to batteries and charging, however I always defer to the true experts, while trying hard to learn from them.

I've just checked out your website and blog. Nice work. I'll be a "frequent flyer" at your site to garner any additional knowledge regarding the subject. Please keep us in the loop with your research & development, and "charge on!!" (sorry, couldn't resist! :rofl3:)

wapeye

Reaction score
Wapeye, first - thanks for the complement. I've been known on these forums as somewhat of a quasi-expert in things related to batteries and charging, however I always defer to the true experts, while trying hard to learn from them.
Oops!! Just saw a few of your kabillion posts on battery issues!! I think I know where to ask for help :hail:

I've just checked out your website and blog. Nice work. I'll be a "frequent flyer" at your site to garner any additional knowledge regarding the subject. Please keep us in the loop with your research & development, and "charge on!!" (sorry, couldn't resist! :rofl3:)
lol dancedroid charge on we shall!! Thanks for dropping by, and taking time to give feedback!
I will happily add blog posts for you and you fans :)

reybie

Reaction score
Received the order from fasttech today, installed the receiver and it fits but it feels like it made the back of the cover a little curved. I have not put back my case on because I misplaced the Nokia charging pad LOL. I need to test it before I put the case back on on. Maybe I'm just not used to holding the phone bare.

reybie

Reaction score
There is a definite added minor bulge that I will probably get used to in a day or two. The good thing is it works.

dags5000

Reaction score
i have the s4 charger wireless pad and teh back cover from official samsung. its cool. my question is that in their instructions, its says "After your phone is charged to 100%, unplug the wireless pad from the microusb......!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!???

i called samsung directly to ask whether this was to save electricity or if there was some danger to leaving it plugged in. They couldn't answer me so i suspect there's a chance the pad itself can malfunction if you have it plugged into the wall and there is no phone charging on it for some period of time. The phone rep (who i dont really trust had much knowledge) said samsung recommends that you should never leave pad plugged in for more than a day or two if there's no phone charging. why?? he wouldn't say.

Now to my point. If everytime im done charging, i have to unplug the microusb from the pad.... and everytime i go to charge i have to replug the pad. What the F is the difference (besides maybe saving your "phones microusb input" from busting rather than the charging pad. the WHOLE AND ONLY SELLING POINT FOR ME (and i'd think everyone) is to have a pad that u plug in and forget about and can remain plugged in (in some idle/safe state) forever. When the phone is placed on it, it should detect it and wake up. Otherwise to me, this is 100% false advertising and EVERY SINGLE REVIEW about it that says its revolutionary cause no more plugging in wires is 100% wrong..... I got a 50% off deal on samsung with some coupon so i bought 3. since it was 25 bucks each, im gonna leave one plugged in just take the risk...

EDIT: while i odnt want the device to malfunction, i'm clearly more worried about it starting a fire/overheating or releasing some **** thats not safe into the air. If it malfunctions then yea the product obviously sucks to me, but that's not as worriesome as burning down my house or frying my phone.

sorry for the tldr --- but if anyone has legitimate info on why they highly recommend unplugging the pad if not in use for more thna a day, i'd greatly apprecaite any info.

THANKS!

Last edited:

jntdroid

Super Moderator
Premium Member
Reaction score
I have a very strong feeling that it said that simply to push the idea that unplugging saves electricity (which it does, but IMHO it's debatable if it's worth it!). I have that same wireless charging pad and while I haven't had it plugged in all the time, it didn't seem to overheat or even heat up when it was plugged in.

bbtkd

Reaction score
i have the s4 charger wireless pad and teh back cover from official samsung. its cool. my question is that in their instructions, its says "After your phone is charged to 100%, unplug the wireless pad from the microusb......

Yeah this is like when they tell you to always use your parking brake, to try taking just one ibuprofen, that you should stop for a yellow stoplight, that there are 2.5 servings in a 20 ounce coke, or to "just do a factory data reset" to SEE if that clears up your minor issue.