[GUIDE] Milestone XT720 - Apps2SD and Froyo JIT

mrmako777

Reaction score
guys, im racking my brains over here trying to do this...my sdk kit doesnt have adb in the tools folder (at least that i can see) the only thing remotely close i see is 'emulator'. PLEASE help me! :(

cstewbacca

Reaction score
its under the platform tools folder.
Just bring it over to the tools one.

Merry Christmas!

mrmako777

Reaction score
its under the platform tools folder.
Just bring it over to the tools one.

Merry Christmas!

thanks cstew! but now im getting this when trying to install apps2sd...Error loading ext2.ko, exiting script ...

i know i formatted my sd card correctly...what gives?

mrmako777

Reaction score
ok well now ive done it :( im pretty sure i bricked this phone. i forgot to unroot my phone prior to doing a factory reset and now its stuck on the M logo. ive wiped cache partition, and done a factory reset, then rebooted, but then its gets stuck on the logo. is there anything i can do to save this thing? ive tried plugging it in via usb but rsd lite wont recognize it
frown.gif
please help me! thanks!

pswin09

Reaction score
ok well now ive done it :( im pretty sure i bricked this phone. i forgot to unroot my phone prior to doing a factory reset and now its stuck on the M logo. ive wiped cache partition, and done a factory reset, then rebooted, but then its gets stuck on the logo. is there anything i can do to save this thing? ive tried plugging it in via usb but rsd lite wont recognize it
frown.gif
please help me! thanks!

Takeout battery first. Then put back battery, press and hold power buttom + volume up + camera key (all together) to go to boot loader mode. Then plug ur phone to pc. Rsdlite will recognize it.

mrmako777

Reaction score
frown.gif
please help me! thanks!

Takeout battery first. Then put back battery, press and hold power buttom + volume up + camera key (all together) to go to boot loader mode. Then plug ur phone to pc. Rsdlite will recognize it.

yup, i actually figured it out last night, but thanks for your reply! :)

mrmako777

Reaction score
Just wanted to let you guys know I got everything working! The issue that I had with ext2 turned out to be caused from prior use of app2card (which didn't work btw). Once I reflashed my phone and tried the script again, everything worked! Thanks for a great write up!

xpbelec

Reaction score
Stupid question

Hello, don't want to sound stupid but I have a few newbie questions

I spoke to a Motorola rep that informed me that they weren't planning on updating the MOTO XT720 to Froyo and I'm really pissed about it. I've been searching for a way to get Flash player working and this site came up.

1) Can I backup the actual software on the phone in case I screw up doing this or if I need to get the phone repaired ?

2) Will this update remove the service provider lock / network lock on the phone ?

3) As I'm using the french dictionnary in the phone, is it included in the cincinnati bell rom / should I use european version instead?

Thanks for all this work. This is so much of a let down from motorola for this phone's users not to release Froyo or Gingerbread...

queens49

Reaction score
Anybody know where I can get the stock ROM for Wind Mobile? It's version STR_02_05.1F.2
I can't find it anywhere. I'd feel alot better if I had the stock ROM to go back to if something went wrong.

mrhankey

Reaction score
For some reason, whenever I use Market, it force closes and doesn't let me download any apps.

Could someone help me with this problem please?

momed63

Reaction score
is there any video guide to perform the froyo jit on this moto xt720... it wud be much easier even for newbies... like me...!

momed63

Reaction score
i wanted to try out if the path of the files are all correct.. without formatting or partitioning the sd card..

so..
installed java jdk..
installed androidsdk..
have problems with fetching... even after selecting fetch http:// box...
i still continued..
(my phone is already rooted... usb debugging enabled.. portals n tools selected)

open commandprompt..
adb devices..
device found..

adb shell
$...
su... ok for request...
#cd/sdcard/apps2sd

not found!

why is that so...?
i extracted the files to the phone in memory card access mode to a folder named apps2sd...

is that right?
im not really sure what is meant by "extract the files to the root of your phone"
sdcard/apps2sd...

help please...

/* tried unmounting... no change... added the command in build.prop.. no change...

uk based motorola xt720...

fixed..
din notice the space in cd(space)/sdcard....

Last edited:

momed63

Reaction score
however.......

the apps2sd did not install...
while running the command for apps2sd..
it said file already existed... ext2.ko...
this is becasue of the previous apps2card app i guess...
but i tried running command promt right after reeboot... still no good..
how to delete the old file???????????????????????????????????????????

the jit was installed properly...

phone still crashes after turning on the camera at times... like twice a day...!!

:((((((((

did i mention the phone now on crack!!
haha..
so fast!!!!!

benchmark 702...

thank you.....

happy new year to all :)))))))))))

Last edited:

dragon22jh

Reaction score
Hello everyone ! Sorry but i am in need of some help. I am new to this and like others found out after buying the phone that moto wont update xt720 to froyo got me a little upset. I never rooted or done anything with phones before so please i ask for someone to help me:unsure:
I already formatted my sd card well hope the right way with gparted.
i have 8gig card so i did
fat 32 about 5gig and ext3 2.5gig and some was left but instruction dont say what to do with that so i left it unallocated something like that.
also i had a hard time figuring out how to flag fat 32 as boot because it says to apply changes at end and i had to apply changes then right click flag management and then select boot.
Step Two: Copy files to the microSD card
those this mean both files
DOWNLOAD UNMODIFIED FIRMWARES HERE
Central Europe STR_U2_01.1E.0

i only did the STR and load it to the card once it was unrar. I opened in the phone with the es manager and did the universalandroot then ask me to root phone which i did and now is rooted.

Please i need lots of help with
Step Five: Run the script
i open the command and do what it says but is not found i cant pass that step at all. All my drivers are installed.
a video will be so helpful or screen shoots or if anyone is willing to call me ok too.

please HELP !

cincypokerkid

Reaction score
my partition exactly as told but still apps2sd doesnt work

I encountered this problem(screenshot).
What does that mean?
I have rooted and partitioned my sd card using gparted live.

EDIT: I'm able to install JIT but not apps2sd, anyone has any idea why is that so?

That error of "Error loading ext2.ko, exiting script ..." means the ext2.ko modules was not able to load into the kernel. This normally means the microSD card is not partitioned correctly.

• Make sure that the first partition is fat32 and flagged as boot (and primary)
  • Make sure that the second partition is ext3 (and primary)
Edit: I just uploaded a bug-fixed copy of the xt720-optimizer.rar. The only changes made were to force the overwrite of ext2.ko if it already exists and remove the line which gives "bad mode" on theme install. These were just minor annoyances.

i am a complete noob to the android world, and i apologize if this is overtly ignorant on my part but ive done everything as in the guide to get 2.2 on the milestone and i am still having problem. ive had to factory reset the phone twice now and it still wont go through. i have partitioned the sd card with GPL fat32 14xxx mb and ext3 1xxx mb, both primary with fat32 as boot, the only other thing is a 4mb unallocated portion in the begining of it all which i always thought normal. i have gained adb access just fine. when i enter the sh install.sh into the command prompt it brings up the 1-9 menu. 1 installs fine, 2 apps2sd never works and gets the exact error mentioned above with the "Error loading ext2.ko, exiting script ...", so i skip to 3-8 just fine. then i run 9 the cleanup and reboot. it reboots and milestone overclock is there, but thats it. no apps2sd which is understandable because it errored, but the new themes and 2.2 arent loading either. is it all hinged on apps2sd and if so, how can i get that to work? i appreciate any help, thanks.