LG Revolution Release Date

danDroid

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Droid-Life has just confirmed the LG Revolution will release May 26th.. Is this phone on anyone's shopping list?

AstroBoy

Reaction score
It is one the phones i'm looking at. My contract expires today! dancedroid

I'm definitely in the market to replace my Storm II

Here is what is on my current list of potential replacements:

TB,
Droid Charge
LG Revo
Droid X2

I want 4G, would prefer duel core, but it is not a deal killer.

Who knows when the Bionic will be released.....

Guess I'll take a stroll to my local VZW store next week.

AstroBoy

Reaction score

That Charge review does not paint a pretty picture.

I've seen the Charge and I love the screen. But is that enough for me to buy it probably not.

Specs between the two seem awful close.

1ghz processor,
4.3 in screen (800x480)
Touch wiz vs LG UI.
Bloatware from VZW
Android 2.2
HDMI out

Charge has this going for it:
Beautiful screen
32gb SD card
8mp camera

Revo has these pluses:
simultaneous Voice and data over 4g
wireless charging
Bluetooth 3.0

Bing vs Google.. What's to prevent me from downloading Google and using that instead of Bing? I did on my BB storm.

Rootablility:

This is something I tend to think highly of. Samsung released the source code for the Charge even before the phone hit the streets. LG is an unknown for me in this.

Does it have an unlocked boot loader?

Guess we'll have to wait to find out.

Price: this also a big point for my decision. I'm willing to wait a little bit so see if the prices of either of these comes down. the TB is selling around $130.00 and if these can meet it, mores the better.

Seems like a push to me. Wonder where the Revo will fit in the benchmarks.

Stelv

Silver Member
Reaction score
Trust me bing sucks. I had to deal with it on my fascinate before I rooted. I do not think that the revo or charge will do well, or draw a huge modding community. But out of the 2 Charge is better. I am waiting to see what else comes out because vzw is realeasing absolute junk right now. The thunderbolt has ok specs but has its own set of problems. I would like a 4g phone though so hopefully vzw releases something good soon, or I am off to sprint.

Sent from my fascinate

AstroBoy

Reaction score
Trust me bing sucks. I had to deal with it on my fascinate before I rooted. I do not think that the revo or charge will do well, or draw a huge modding community. But out of the 2 Charge is better. I am waiting to see what else comes out because vzw is realeasing absolute junk right now. The thunderbolt has ok specs but has its own set of problems. I would like a 4g phone though so hopefully vzw releases something good soon, or I am off to sprint.

Sent from my fascinate

I agree that Bing sucks. I never use it on my BB, but downloaded Google for it.

I'm about as pleased with Verizon's offerings as you are, but I fail to see why you say the Revo is worse than the Charge.
Can you elaborate?

The Tbolt is on the list as well, but I can't get past the stupidity of putting the charging dock where it sits in landscape mode on the kickstand.

Stelv

Silver Member
Reaction score

Sent from my fascinate

I agree that Bing sucks. I never use it on my BB, but downloaded Google for it.

I'm about as pleased with Verizon's offerings as you are, but I fail to see why you say the Revo is worse than the Charge.
Can you elaborate?

The Tbolt is on the list as well, but I can't get past the stupidity of putting the charging dock where it sits in landscape mode on the kickstand.

I like the the Tbolt. But people are reporting battery drain and random reboots. I am waiting to see if an update is released to fix it before I judge it. It looks like a nice phone rooted, but I am unsure about it.

Bing is hard to totally remove on these Android phones, even after you download Google search, maps, etc. My fascinate had bing maps and search. Even though I had Google downloaded from the market, it still would default to bing. Bing was very inaccurate in maps and search results were bad.

Samsung Droid Charge specs - Phone Arena

LG Revolution specs - Phone Arena

IMO The Charge is better than the Revo because....

-Screen. Super Amoled Plus. The only of its kind in the US right now. Quality is extremely good. Revo has a TFT screen which is dull and grayish like Droid or Droid X

-Physical buttons. Just preference I guess. But the soft buttons are annoying on my fascinate.

-Bigger battery. It is said that it can last for about 2 days. Also the Charge has good battery management.

-Better camera. 8 megapixels compared to 5 on revo.

-Charge has Google Apps instead of Bing. Google may not fully support a device with Bing on it (speculation)

The Revo may get better quadrants because it is running a snapdragon and quadrant doesn't measure the samsung processors accurately. But this is the dual core age. The fact that both of these phones have single core processors make them old technology, and they will fall behind very soon. The Ram is also very low.

Gingerbread, newer apps, video streamimg, 3d gaming and more will all need a dual core processor or more ram in the future. At least the TB has more ram. If one gets one of these phones on a 2 year contract, the phones eventually will not work to there optimum and will reach EOL in a matter of months.

AstroBoy

Reaction score
I like the the Tbolt. But people are reporting battery drain and random reboots. I am waiting to see if an update is released to fix it before I judge it. It looks like a nice phone rooted, but I am unsure about it.

Reports I've seen says it has more of an issue when switching from 3G to 4G and back.

As I live in So. Cal (very heavy 4g coverage) I don't think that will be an issue.
Bing is hard to totally remove on these Android phones, even after you download Google search, maps, etc. My fascinate had bing maps and search. Even though I had Google downloaded from the market, it still would default to bing. Bing was very inaccurate in maps and search results were bad.

I couldn't remove Bing from my BB storm II, but I put it in a folder where I wouldn't see it and forgot about it. Used Google search for everything. Should be able to do the same on the Android phones correct? What other effects would it have?

Samsung Droid Charge specs - Phone Arena

LG Revolution specs - Phone Arena

IMO The Charge is better than the Revo because....

-Screen. Super Amoled Plus. The only of its kind in the US right now. Quality is extremely good. Revo has a TFT screen which is dull and grayish like Droid or Droid X

-Physical buttons. Just preference I guess. But the soft buttons are annoying on my fascinate.

-Bigger battery. It is said that it can last for about 2 days. Also the Charge has good battery management.

-Better camera. 8 megapixels compared to 5 on revo.

-Charge has Google Apps instead of Bing. Google may not fully support a device with Bing on it (speculation)

The Revo may get better quadrants because it is running a snapdragon and quadrant doesn't measure the samsung processors accurately. But this is the dual core age. The fact that both of these phones have single core processors make them old technology, and they will fall behind very soon. The Ram is also very low.

Gingerbread, newer apps, video streamimg, 3d gaming and more will all need a dual core processor or more ram in the future. At least the TB has more ram. If one gets one of these phones on a 2 year contract, the phones eventually will not work to there optimum and will reach EOL in a matter of months.

I did not know about Quadrant's issue with measuring Samsung processors. Is there a better benchmark program that does equally well on all processors?

I know that Dual core is the way to go, but unfortunately that is not an option for 4G at this point, not in the foreseeable future. Of course I may hold off till July when My GF's portion of the contract expires and see what is in the pipeline then.

Stelv

Silver Member
Reaction score
The only way to completely remove Bing is usually to root your device and install a custom Rom that has been de-Binged. On the fascinate it was so intertwined into the phones framework, that one didnt really have a choice to just use Google instead, it would just sort of redirect you back to Bing sometimes. The Revolution may be different, but I wouldn't expect it to be.

4GLTE is awesome though, I have tried it out at the VZW store. I am hooked and want a 4g device now, but think I will wait a bit. Ram or dual core is definitely a necessity for me. Fascinate is specced at 512mbs of ram but only has 384 available....I find myself needing more ram all the time.

Quadrants in general do not always represent real world speed. They are just kind of a rough interpretation. AnTuTu System Benchmark is another one that can be run, which may give the Samsung better results,

...but it all boils down to which one seem better when you try it out at Verizon. I like LG, they use to make some good phones, but there Android phones have not done too well. I am not trying to discourage anyone from getting this phone, but one should try it out and compare it with other phones a couple time before they buy it IMO.

Raptor007

Reaction score
I can say as a former TB owner the phone is full of issues, the screen is terrible outdoors, BT won't pair with my 2010 vehicle (which is an HTC issue), 3G/4G issues and battery life are major problems. I sold mine and moved on.

I have concerns about Bing in the LG Revo, but I will HOLD judgement until a) I get my hands on one, b) see what the user/dev community makes of it. So far Verizon has failed miserably at launching any good 4G LTE phones, but that is largely due in part to the current LTE chipset size. Dualcore is nice, but the current OS is not taking advantage of it and its clear it won't until ICS.

The Bionic is the ONLY 4G LTE Dualcore coming out that we know of, the SGS2 will likely be a 3G phone unless Verizon doesn't get it until sometime in 2012. Moto has locked bootloaders so the Bionic is out.

The big issue is, when will the tiered data plans hit, will Verizon a) have the ability to force everyone into a tiered plan regardless of their current data plan, and b) if you want LTE now your choices are crap.

ThunderBolt: 1Ghz 2nd Gen Snapdragon Processor, TFT Display, 768MB RAM, 2.31GB of Internal (claims 8GB) 32GB card (you can buy that)

Charge: 1Ghz Hummingbird (old) processor, SAMOLED+ Display, 512MB RAM, 1.04GB if Internal, 32GB card (you can buy that)

Revolution: 1Ghz 2nd Gen Snapdragon Processor, TFT Display (unsure if that is their IPS TFT or not), 512MB RAM (read it could be 768MB, but doubtful), 16GB of Internal (unsure if or how it is broken down) 16GB card (you can buy that)

Droid Bionic: 1Ghz Dual Core Tegra 2 processor (could be changed, could still have overheating issues with LTE) qHD Display, RAM Unknown, Unknown Internal storage, Unknown SD card, LOCKED BOOTLOADER. The phone is a complete mystery since it was pulled, scrapped, redesigned and still not approved by Verizon.

So, with all of that which phone is worth getting? For me it will come down to BT working with my car (need hands free to work), Display needs to be readable outdoors (yes charge is better but not phenomenal) internal storage is key as well. Why should I (we) be forced to keep everything on an SD card, what a joke.

Verizon is in the business of forcing you to be stuck with mediocre hardware for 20 months before an upgrade. I have and still do pay retail to get a phone if its worth it, but I am not willing to buy something that is crap just to get into the "unlimited data" if Verizon is just going to yank it out from under us in a few months regardless of your current agreement.

cutiedroid

Reaction score
@Raptor007 why do you stay with Verizon if it's so unsatisfactory?

Sent from my DROID2 GLOBAL using DroidForums

gsdreams

Reaction score
Raptor007

The reason for everything on an sd card is so it isn't tied to the phone so if the phone does have problems you can replace it without losing everything.

Common Sense, something Apple lacks.

Sent from my DROID2 GLOBAL using Tapatalk

Raptor007

Reaction score
I stay with Verizon due to the coverage, AT&T sucks in my market and Sprint is ok. Service wise Verizon is exceptional for me, and last year the phone offerings were better, this year they suck. IF AT&T actually gave a crap about their customers (which they don't) I would switch and actually was looking to for the SGS2, but that's an open issue.

As for putting all apps on the SD card incase of a phone replacement, well that doesn't work for me. Parts of any app that can (and not all can be) transfered remain on the phone so you will have to install the apps again anyways. Also I prefer not to have the lag when launching an app that is on the sd card vs memory. RAM is cheap and there is no reason for current phones to have so little. 8GB on board should not be that difficult. Samsung gives you a choice of 16GB or 32GB on the SGS2, quite competitive.

I am still holding final judgement on the LG Revo until I see one in person, then I can decide. Since it seems LG phones can be rooted fairly easily and so far the Optimus US has some interesting features I am looking at it. I will just buy it from Best Buy so I have a better exchange window, just in case.

rawr33

Reaction score
Any insight into what pricing might be? It sure would be nice to see it for $199 ;)