"Low System Memory" and choppy HD Video

Navalynt

Reaction score
Is anyone else experiencing this issue? When I set the video to record in HD (and sometimes even in SD) the video will record really choppy and I'll get random pop-ups on the screen which say "Low System Memory".

hookbill

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Sounds like you have too many apps. Go into your applications and take a look at some of the larger ones you really don't need (like maybe Google Earth).

Also if you have any task killers, get rid of them. You don't need them.

shinobi

Reaction score
Yes! The expansys French firmware at least as a bug with HD video.
Go to settings/about if you have this firmware:

STR_U2_02.18.3
Firmware 2.1 update 1

If you do, I can recommend flashing a new rom, link to firmware is in the
"[GUIDE] Milestone XT720 - Apps2SD and Froyo JIT" page 5

It has it's risks! Be careful and read up on it first.

Mazinkaiser

Reaction score
So with the last update and the clock improvement, the Video is better with no more lag? it's an important achivment indeed.

solnyshok

Reaction score
my xt runs latest firmware (one that cranked MHz up to 720MHz) but I overclocked it to 900MHz. Video is still choppy. No out of memory warnings though. My card is 8GB that came together with XT720 (class 2), I think it is too slow. I consider buying 16GB class 10 to have proper app2sd and smoother video.

OP
Navalynt

Navalynt

Reaction score
I'm using the Kingston 16GB Class 10, no difference in speed that I can tell vs my other PNY 8GB Class 4 and it doesn't do anything to smooth out the choppy video recording :(

solnyshok

Reaction score
I'm using the Kingston 16GB Class 10, no difference in speed that I can tell vs my other PNY 8GB Class 4 and it doesn't do anything to smooth out the choppy video recording :(

your's choppy, might be smoother than mine :) but I take the point that it is not ideal though. I was keeping away from purchasing better card until I see improvements in 2.2, otherwise, I'd rather sell it and buy something more powerful, without xenon.

OP
Navalynt

Navalynt

Reaction score
I think when UD FeX 9 ROM releases for the Droid 1 I'll go back to that phone as my primary so I can feel free to tear apart the XT720 US CBW ROM without worrying about missing calls and stuff. With any luck I'll find some tweaks which can make the video recording fully functional for 720p.

P

prya

this is a very funny advice since the Navalynt made the guide himself...:biggrin:

shinobi

Reaction score

this is a very funny advice since the Navalynt made the guide himself...:biggrin:

I never know who I'm replying to.. =D

But either way it's sound advice for everyone ELSE reading it ;)