MDW Presents: Droid X 2.3.13 - The Froyo Upgrade

BACAbone

Reaction score
so which is it, brick or bootloop? There is a difference.

I don't think they know there is a difference.

Has there ever been a case of a TRUE brick yet since clockworkmod and the 2.1 SBF has been released? I don't think so :icon_ banana:

And what does 'they' imply?

Sheesh. It was a useless 'brick' for an hour while it 'bootlooped'. There is my definition for the DX since the 2.1 .sbf makes it mostly impossible to, by the high and almighty's definition, 'brick'.

Now I'm back at stock 2.1. The coffee pot is full and I'll be rooting, upgrading, and eventually seeing how this release fairs against the others after a clean install.

Most of us get on this site to learn what we can and help when we can.Using proper terms helps u get better answers to your problem but more importantly it helps those using the search option for answers to their problems.

justin82

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Installed running fine..lost root not a big deal re rooted installed p3 rom tranqility.. rocket fast

Soupy McD

Reaction score
I don't think they know there is a difference.

Has there ever been a case of a TRUE brick yet since clockworkmod and the 2.1 SBF has been released? I don't think so :icon_ banana:

Sheesh. It was a useless 'brick' for an hour while it 'bootlooped'. There is my definition for the DX since the 2.1 .sbf makes it mostly impossible to, by the high and almighty's definition, 'brick'.

Now I'm back at stock 2.1. The coffee pot is full and I'll be rooting, upgrading, and eventually seeing how this release fairs against the others after a clean install.

Most of us get on this site to learn what we can and help when we can.Using proper terms helps u get better answers to your problem but more importantly it helps those using the search option for answers to their problems.

Fair enough, keep in mind the remark wasn't at your post. Most of us on this site are all about learning and helping when we can, unfortunately sometimes people like to troll their 'knowledge'.

I'm with you completely, I just think the difference of terminology for 'brick' and 'bootloop' are synonymous enough that you can say one or the other, and people who have read over the forums will understand the difference.

Back to the topic. Back to 2.2 now with root. Heading out for a job prospect, then back to complete the upgrade to 2.3.13.

Soupy McD

Reaction score
Follow up on 2.3.13...

Yes, this release certainly is a little b*tch. Droid 2 method works... although it's quirky, make sure you reboot from adb after obtaining root otherwise Superuser gets a little confused from conflicting versions (at least that's how it seems, I was rooted from 2.1, rerooted in 2.2). Clockwork recovery booting is inconsistent/nonexistent. You have to flash the clockwork recovery mod from koush's bootstrap app, then also flash it from rom manager to install build.props.

I'll keep this install for now, but my god. +1 FlyX for no hassle, worry free install.

hazierneglect

Reaction score
uhgg. I tryd installing it from a rooted 2.1 phone. Its stuck at the M, been for about five minutes.. anybody know how to get back to the bootstrap from there so i can nandroid? when i do a battery pull and press home and power, it goes to the normal boot thingy... Do i have to RSD? again? :(

I just did this very same thing.... how did you fix?? I'm not familiar with RSD. I'll be doing some searches...

I take it this was supposed to be installed over the previous leak?

Any help would be awesome, I have a nice paperweight stuck at M :-(

Another issue, I'm not sure whats going on but I have the paid version of rom manager yet I couldnt get it to boot into recovery. Everytime I HAD to use Koush Bootstrapper (not sure if that's normal or not)

Do I just find a stock 2.1 build, rename it to update.zip and install from the stock recovery?
Can't use an update.zip.... you have to download "the gift" and rsdlite. I don't think im aloud to post the link but alldroid.org will be of some help to you I believe

luv2increase

Reaction score

Fair enough, keep in mind the remark wasn't at your post. Most of us on this site are all about learning and helping when we can, unfortunately sometimes people like to troll their 'knowledge'.

I'm with you completely, I just think the difference of terminology for 'brick' and 'bootloop' are synonymous enough that you can say one or the other, and people who have read over the forums will understand the difference.

Back to the topic. Back to 2.2 now with root. Heading out for a job prospect, then back to complete the upgrade to 2.3.13.

"They" was referring to you. There is no need to get all bent out of shape over being corrected. How do you expect to learn if no one corrects you? :icon_ banana:

Soupy McD

Reaction score

"They" was referring to you. There is no need to get all bent out of shape over being corrected. How do you expect to learn if no one corrects you? :icon_ banana:

After looking over some of your posts in the past...you certainly are a hot head for correcting. I truly appreciate your input and intelligence. Thank you for contributing to this thread.

luv2increase

Reaction score

After looking over some of your posts in the past...you certainly are a hot head for correcting. I truly appreciate your input and intelligence. Thank you for contributing to this thread.

Oh stop it already with the ad-hominem attacks kid. Grow up and show some respect, and respect will be given unto you. dancedroid

Soupy McD

Reaction score

Oh stop it already with the ad-hominem attacks kid. Grow up and show some respect, and respect will be given unto you. dancedroid

You crack me up. Here's a banana :icon_ banana:

luv2increase

Reaction score

I'm glad I got a laugh out of ya :)

Soupy McD

Reaction score

I'm glad I got a laugh out of ya :)

Haven't been on forums since I was 17 (and back then for me it was all about computer modding forums...case modding and Windows hacking; reason why I stopped going on forums was focusing on college). I'm still a young buck at 23 but forum fighting cracks me up. I'm just givin' ya crap brother...I'm here for the same reason you are - learn new things, enjoy new customizations, and work with a community of peers.

That being said, I just wanted to lay out what I had to go through today (in case anyone has to go through what I did). I had some extremely strange quirks.

Last night started with bootloop (after trying to flash 2.3.13 over FlyX and Tranq, sh*t went awry), ended up flashing .sbf. Instead of the flash going smoothly, I had got stuck in an .sbf/RSD induced bootloop. This was solved with booting into recovery, wiping data and cache, and rebooting. After activation, I went to sleep.

Next morning - rooted 2.1, upgraded to 2.2 stock from Rom Manager. Everything was going fantastic until trying to upgrade into 2.3.13. After I managed to upgrade into it, I ran a Quadrant (scored 1360, meh), and realized I lost the root. I ended up rooting using the Droid 2 method successfully. After realizing what a piece of junk this ROM release is (and after removing all bloatware through Root Explorer), I downgraded to FlyX (wiped data/cache). Everything was going alright at that point. Quirks were developing and bugs started to pop out. Thinking it would be a good idea to Tranquilize my phone, I entered a whole new realm of hell. Out of curiosity I ran Quadrant, scored a 960, and said F it. Files were missing that Tranquility depended on that I removed manually, the home screen was janky; it was horrible. EDIT: Forgot to mention that I (kind of) lost root. Bootstrap and AdFree were cleared by Superuser. Nothing else would even toggle a Superuser toggle. Everything would just say they could not identify root. At that point I gave up.

So I flashed the stock .sbf again, and alas, the same stupid .sbf/RSD bootloop ensued. Random tangent: I learned that different cables will actually enable different boot patterns in your phone. No joke. My friend (and possible future coworker) who flashes phones for a living learned today that depending on the cable manu., your phone might boot fine while plugged into a PC, or in my case, my old LG USB cable would boot my phone directly into bootloader regardless (possibly a Win7 driver malfunction?). Tangent closed.

I'm back on rooted stock 2.2, about to install FlyX and then Tranquilize blur.

DO NOT TOUCH 2.3.13. IT IS NOT WORTH THE DAMN TROUBLE.

blkblt412

Reaction score
For what its worth I figured I would share my experience of this upgrade. I have not/did not load the FlyX or Tranquility ROMs prior to the upgrade. My phone was on 2.2, rooted, and deodexed when I started this upgrade and followed this method as posted on MDW by kblack07 (the XXXs are skipped steps):

1) Restart phone via Koush bootstrap into Recovery Mode
2) XXX
3) XXX
4) Select Mounts and Storage
5) XXX
6) Select Mount System
7) Back out by pressing Power button
8) Select Install zip from sdcard
9) Select choose zip from sdcard
10) find and select this zip file
11) First Boot may take up to 5 minutes

12) Go into Koush Bootstrap (if you have it) and re do the bootstrap. (must be rooted)

Afterwards I had to re-root the phone, re-flash the bootstrap, fix GMail force closing (fix also posted on MDW), re-copying my modified build.prop file, and re-applying the 928BlackGlass (deodexed) theme.

So far phone is running smoothly and feels a little quicker though not much. The GMail fix consists of downloading the GMail-2.2.1.apk file and installing it just to clarify on the above list of fixes. I will admit that I probably spent 30 minutes after the upgrade getting my phone back the way I like it but to me it was worth the effort.

umx

Reaction score
market wont let me download anything and i cant find the fix for it can any one direct me what to do