Remove Safestrap

dlc1265

Reaction score
I have seen a lot of these threads, but honestly I don't have any idea what they are talking about. I have a VZW S4 that I traded for a Moto X. When I rebooted I noticed it has Safestrap installed. I really want to remove this. I dont load ROMs. I have searched all over but have found an 'easy' way to do this. I can't find the .apk on my device. Do I need it? Can I do it from the boot screen? I understand there is a new VZW update out soon. Will that wipe it off?

Any help would be appreciated. Thanks so much.

OP
D

dlc1265

Reaction score
Any help would be appreciated :) I tried to install the Verizon update this morning and it failed. I assume its the Safestrap...

Thanks

masterim

Reaction score
Any help would be appreciated :) I tried to install the Verizon update this morning and it failed. I assume its the Safestrap...

Thanks

Download Terminal Emulator and type the following commands pressing enter after each line. I followed these steps and was able to uninstall SS 3.62 this morning and the splashscreen no longer popsup during boot.

HOW TO MANUALLY REMOVE SAFESTRAP:

Enter adb shell from your pc:
Code:
su
mount -o remount,rw /system
mv /system/etc/init.qcom.modem_links.sh.bin /system/etc/init.qcom.modem_links.sh
rm -rf /system/etc/safestrap
rm /system/etc/firmware/q6.mdt
ln -s /firmware/image/q6.mdt /system/etc/firmware/q6.mdt
mount -o remount,ro /system

OP
D

dlc1265

Reaction score
Download Terminal Emulator and type the following commands pressing enter after each line. I followed these steps and was able to uninstall SS 3.62 this morning and the splashscreen no longer popsup during boot.

HOW TO MANUALLY REMOVE SAFESTRAP:

Enter adb shell from your pc:
Code:
su
mv /system/etc/init.qcom.modem_links.sh.bin /system/etc/init.qcom.modem_links.sh

Thanks for the info...

Sorry for the ignorance....What is ADB shell? Do I have to download it?

masterim

Reaction score
Thanks for the info...

Sorry for the ignorance....What is ADB shell? Do I have to download it?

I didn't follow the steps from my pc, but just downloaded Android Terminal Emulator from the play store. Once its open I just typed the command line exactly as follows and pressed enter at the end of each line. After doing so I closed the app rebooted and the SS boot option no longer appeared. Goodluck.
su

masterim

Reaction score
I didn't follow the steps from my pc, but just downloaded Android Terminal Emulator from the play store. Once its open I just typed the command line exactly as follows and pressed enter at the end of each line. After doing so I closed the app rebooted and the SS boot option no longer appeared. Goodluck.
su

BTW I tried to install the latest update and it failed for me as well, so may not be related to SS.

OP
D

dlc1265

Reaction score
Thanks for the info. I tried it by downloading it from the play store as well. When I typed the first line 'SU' it said su not found. I read some stuff and I think im going to try to unroot with Odin. I need to find a windows machine, that may be the way to go..

Thanks again

masterim

Reaction score
Please post if the update takes after performing unroot, cause I may have to do the same.

seovietdang

Reaction score
Any help would be appreciated I tried to install the Verizon update this morning and it failed. I assume its the Safestrap...

Thanks

nateccnn

Reaction score
First of all...do you get the boot option when booting your phone to boot into the Safestrap recovery? If not, it is not properly installed on your phone and is not the cause of the update not installing. Just having the Safestrap app on your phone does not mean Safestrap is active with an active recovery installed.

However...if it is actively installed then you need to follow the above steps to properly remove it before unrooting.

Your error saying you do not have SuperUser on the phone can be corrected if the phone is properly rooted by downloading SuperUser from the play store. SU is required in order for terminal to let you into SU commands.

Once the above commands are run from terminal (successfully) You can go into Safestrap and verify that recovery is nolonger installed...or chose the option to remove recovery if it is still installed. Then go into settings...apps and uninstall safestrap application.

I tried to install the update and got a FAIL this morning. Followed the above steps and then the update installed just fine. Now in process of re-rooting. Probably won't install safestrap again though. Just want root access for root explorer and debloating. Don't really care for the custom roms out today.

Nate

OP
D

dlc1265

Reaction score
Thanks Nate,

I still can't figure it out. I couldnt find the Stock Verizon software to install. I tried to install SU, I got a messege saying there is no SU binary installed. I guess I'm not rooted? Still tring to figure it out!

Thanks

masterim

Reaction score
After some more reading found the reason I was receiving the error message when attempting to install the OTA was that I removed some of the original apps after I rooted under ME7. So found out that you can flash the new MI1 build by following instructions found at XDA, [GUIDE] No-Wipe Factory Images (Restore from any soft-brick without wiping data) - xda-developers. I successfully followed these instructions this morning now just have to perform the new Root De La Vega instructions to get root back.

Not really noticing any differences in performance, a few new apps, but was more curious if the new update would turn on AWS support. Doesn't appear to make any difference in my region.

Good luck!

OP
D

dlc1265

Reaction score
After some more reading found the reason I was receiving the error message when attempting to install the OTA was that I removed some of the original apps after I rooted under ME7. So found out that you can flash the new MI1 build by following instructions found at XDA, [GUIDE] No-Wipe Factory Images (Restore from any soft-brick without wiping data) - xda-developers. I successfully followed these instructions this morning now just have to perform the new Root De La Vega instructions to get root back.

Not really noticing any differences in performance, a few new apps, but was more curious if the new update would turn on AWS support. Doesn't appear to make any difference in my region.

Good luck!

thank you! This worked perfectly!! I restored to the ME7 release. I then updated to the new Verizon update.

I dont know much about this stuff but everything worked great

thanks again!

dekdo

Reaction score
How can I remove it if I have already unrooted my device like an idiot...

Having safestrap seems to be blocking me from installing the latest OTA and also blocking me from rooting my device again. I read something like write protection was enabled? How can i disable it? Again, my phone is not currently rooted, but safestrap is still on it.

odin_fail.jpg