[HACKS] Root Droid 1 - regardless of OS version

Npinkert

Reaction score
I had tried reseating. Not sure if I have reformated after trying this method. I will try that tomorrow and let you know how it goes. Should I be reformatting a special way or just through the phone is fine?

guidot

Developer Relations
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
You can try through the phone.

I've not done it myself tbh. Just remember to save your data first!

And just in case, I wouldn't copy it back until you have completed the process.

Sent from my XT862 using Tapatalk

jntdroid

Super Moderator
Premium Member
Reaction score
I remember reading somewhere that Fat32 is how it needs to be formatted - in Windows obviously. I don't know if that's true, but I've always held to that, IF I'm not letting the phone format it itself - which I prefer, since I assume the phone would format it how it should work...

---
Rezounded from my .... Rezound.

Npinkert

Reaction score
It is an issue with the SDcard.

Reseating it, or using another card, or coping all the data off of that card and formatting it then copying the update file back on and trying it then.

Tried reseating and formatting, but I still receive the same error. I don't have any other cards available nor the money to buy one, so that's not really an option for me.

Perhaps this bit of information would help, as I was tired and left it out before.

When I first bought the phone from a pawn shop three days ago, I successfully rooted it with Gingerbreak. Then a notification popped up saying motorola had an update. Without thinking, I installed it. I don't remember the name of update or anything about it, but that cancelled out my root and I haven't been able to get it back. I assumed this method would work since it said regardless of OS version, but I supposed that does mean Manufacture version as well. Could I have permanently disabled my Droid from being rooted?

r314bd

Reaction score
Tried reseating and formatting, but I still receive the same error.
How did you reformat the card? Did you do it via the phone or from your PC?

The Motorola update definitely isn't the culprit.

Npinkert

Reaction score
Via the phone. I suppose doing it through Windows as well won't hurt though. I'll run that test and see what happens.

Npinkert

Reaction score
Make sure you format it as FAT32. Let us know if that works.

Formatted through Windows. Worked beautifully.
Literally just stood up in a victory pose and cheered. Thank you so much.
So glad to be back in the rooted community

Additional notes:
I don't remember the folder names, but after formating via the phone, there were three folders on the SD card.
After formatting through Windows there were only two. I'm assuming the other folder was the culprit.

I only needed to do a Quick Format.

guidot

Developer Relations
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Excellent. I wasn't sure if the computer was still the preferred method, but apparently it is.

Glad you are up and running.

Sent from my XT862 using Tapatalk

mayorkelley

Reaction score
I'm in awe of the talent and skill here on this forum. The Motocache1 tutorial and all the posts from others I sifted through are incredible. You guys are simply amazing. I have to thank you for posting this information. The reasons I wanted to root are pretty simple. I've wanted to root my original Droid for two years now, but didn't have the guts to try it until now. My contract expires next month, so I finally figured what the hell.

Now I can't wait to figure out now how I can get rid of all the extra apps installed on my phone from the start. I just don't use Twitter, Facebook, the Amazon app, etc., and they take up valuable space on my device. I've constantly had to watch how much internal storage I had, and scroll through apps in a menu that I don't use.

Next steps, I will be reading up on how to delete all that bloatware, and looking at some ROM's for my original Droid. I feel like I have a new device now. Thank you.

CJM

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Nexus 6
Twitter
https://twitter.com/Corey
To delete bloat apps, get a file explorer from the market. The apps will be in either data/app or system/app.

Tapped from a Galaxy Nexus using Xparent

Npinkert

Reaction score
To delete bloat apps, get a file explorer from the market. The apps will be in either data/app or system/app.

I would reccomend first either using titanium backup to backup those apps or clockworkmod to create a recovery. Just in case something goes wrong. Not these specific apps, but these are just ones that i am familar with. I know clockwork has saved me from bricking on more than one occasion.

davidbehrns

Reaction score
I would reccomend first either using titanium backup to backup those apps or clockworkmod to create a recovery. Just in case something goes wrong. Not these specific apps, but these are just ones that i am familar with. I know clockwork has saved me from bricking on more than one occasion.

Both Titanium Backup & My Backup Pro will "freeze" applications. It doesn't remove them but it disables them from running. That way if you royally honk something up you can un-do it. I think they cost about the same and, for me, My Backup Pro has a more intuitive interface. (both require root to freeze apps)

I am soooooo missing nandroid however, the current root instructions for DROID3 didn't install it so I'll have to find a way to get it. Nandroid is like using ghost on a PC. Pretty much an exact backup of everything exactly the way it is.