Developer Relations
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Ok folks try to keep it on topic here!

Sent from my DROID3 using Tapatalk 2

mayorkelley

Reaction score
. . . . now I can't wait to figure out now how I can get rid of all the extra apps installed on my phone from the start. I just don't use Twitter, Facebook, the Amazon app, etc., and they take up valuable space on my device. I've constantly had to watch how much internal storage I had, and scroll through apps in a menu that I don't use. Next steps, I will be reading up on how to delete all that bloatware, and looking at some ROM's for my original Droid. I feel like I have a new device now. Thank you.

Follow up post. I purchased Titanium Backup and deleted/removed (not freeze) all of the bloatware like AmazonMP3, Twitter, Facebook and the other native apps originally installed by VZW. The device has been fine since the root and follow on bloatware removal. This freed up quite a bit of native storage (onboard vs the SD card), which had been hovering around 5MB to 10MB and getting the "your phone is almost out of memory" type of error. Now I have almost 30MB available again for new apps on board, and another 15GB on the SD card.

Thanks again to the original poster, as well as those who provided additional support and expertise. This was an extremely valuable thread.

hackatack

Reaction score
this was my first go at rooting a phone, and i followed the more detailed steps, other than messing up on step 10 by first not fully reading it and then missing the timing with which button to press it was really simple and straight forward. confirmed with titanium back up. i got my razr maxx a few weeks ago and wanted to learn how to root on my OG Droid before messing around with my new phone, hope its as straight forward or easier than this. great work on helping us noobs

Lilium

Reaction score
When I googled can a Droid 1 be rooted, this page was the first result. I want to express my appreciation to you MotoCache1 for making such a precise, step-by-step, tutorial. This is my second time rooting a phone and it went smoothly. I ran into some trouble at the final step, but after I searched this thread for a minute, I saw someone had the exact same problem. I used a different SD card and the root executed with no problem.

I'm new here by the way, so my apologies for not making a welcome thread first. Wanted to make sure I gave my thanks to MotoCache1 first, in case I forgot or anything.

orangespot

Reaction score
Help, can't flash any other mod

My phone is a droid 1 without phone service, I use it with wifi. (this is my spare droid, my other was rooted no problem 2 years ago and running steeldroidmod)
I followed all your instructions and they worked perfectly. But the firmware is still 2.0.1 and I can't use voice search, so I wanted to upgrade to froyo or gingerbread or anything else. So I downloaded System Rom Toolbox to boot into recovery and also downloaded cyanogen mod 7.2 zipfile.

First I nandroid backed up. Wiped cache and everything else.
In recovery, there isn't an option to install cyanogen, the only option is to install the update.zip file from the original root instructions. So I deleted that file and renamed the new mod "update.zip". It installed perfectly but it froze up at the splash screen and then loops forever.

I restored the nandroid back up.

Then I downloaded other cyanogen versions. Same exact steps, same freezing splash screen and loops.
Then I did the same with bugless beast. Same exact steps, same loops.

So I tried purchasing Rom Manager but it told me I had to download and install the free version. I did that but it says the package won't parse. So I can't even use Rom Manager.

I feel stuck, Should I re-root using a different method?
Help please.

CJM

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Nexus 6
Twitter
https://twitter.com/Corey
Try this, power off the phone. Then hold the X on the keyboard & power buttons until the recovery pops up. Wipe everything, then install the update.zip.

Tapped from a Galaxy Nexus using Xparent ICS

orangespot

Reaction score
fixed it.

I lost all my apps but it's fixed.
Motorola Droid: Full Update Guide - CyanogenMod Wiki

I installed the clockworksmod recovery with RSDlite.
Did a nandroid back up just in case,
then wiped everything.
then installed the latest update file I had, which turned out to be Pete's Bugless beast, I guess. (I can't even remember anymore, but the screen said it was Pete's and it was gingerbread.)

Anyway, I didn't follow all the instructions in the link above, just enough to get clockworksmod recovery instead of the SPRecovery that I had installed the first time. Don't know why, but that just doesn't work on my Droid1. Of course, the wipe lost all my apps but there wasn't much there.
Thanks for replying.

CJM

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Nexus 6
Twitter
https://twitter.com/Corey
You should be able to go to the play store, hit Menu then My Apps & reinstall them from there. That's if you installed the gapps.

Tapped from a Galaxy Nexus using Xparent ICS

syndicate0017

Silver Member
Reaction score
What is the latest OS that will run on a rooted Droid 1?

They have a jellybean ROM available. Its alpha/beta stage but its available. I don't think its daily driver stage though.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

jeffcicale

Reaction score
syndicate0017 said:
They have a jellybean ROM available. Its alpha/beta stage but its available. I don't think its daily driver stage though.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

Correct. I flashed the jb cm10 alpha build and I must say that it was very functional except for 3g/4g...I couldn't get it to connect at all. Not bad for an alpha overall.

guidot

Developer Relations
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
I know this is the most action this thread has seen in a while, but lets not muck it up with ROM talk and stay on topic! Please and thank you!!

:wink-b:

Liquid Fusion

Reaction score
Flashing sbf happened very fast - took just under a min to reach "SW Update Complete" - phone rebooted before I could "DPadUp" - Orig OS booted. Did battery pull. Closed RSDlite. Pwr+ DPadUp - Opened Rsdlite - flashed sbf - this time held down DPadUp as soon as I saw "SW Update Complete." Booted into
SPRecovery (pwr + X). Let go of pwr as soon as boot began). Went to Step#2 - had to "Allow Install" 2X - install update from sdcard (deprecated) - 1st didn't work. Went back to "Allow Install" then "Update" worked. Rooted 2.2.3 FRK76 rom already on the D1. Nice.

Downloaded ROM Manager - Flashed clockwork recovery. yes!!!

Last edited:

pirdroid1

Reaction score
Thanks a ton for this guide, I was able to root my droid 1 running 2.2.3 perfectly with no problems, in minutes (on windows 7 x64 even) I was able to use Super Manager to uninstall a few apps that I didn't want as well as disable some apps from starting at boot, and am now a happy droidwall user!