Screen Protectors and Cases

NightAngel79

Reaction score

I also tried the Verizon anti-glare protectors and had the same problem on bright backgrounds. Really was bothering me so I just got the Zagg Invisible Shield. Screen looks perfect during use and even though it has a slight orange peel effect, its only visible when the screen is off. As far as cases go I have the Incipio Silicrylic case and I really like it but I wanted to get the car dock which it wont fit in. Does anyone know of any case/dock combos that are out. I know Seidio had one for the OG Droid but I haven't seen anything as of yet. Its a shame they came up with such a good idea with the docking pins but its gets ruined by the constant need for a case.:frown:

Go with the Zagg I tell ya! LOL. I keep hearing how good they are, I personally LOVE the SGP CC's myself though.

Greeny

Reaction score
I actually like the car dock despite it not having a built in charge port. Its very clean looking as with all Samsung electronics. One of the reasons I don't use a case...I would have to take it off to put my nex in the dock.

But I've carried all my phones naked since the d1 .

sent from unlocked gnex

Yak, 2 things. Didn't that draw a lot of funny looks your way, and how did you clip on your phone? :p

Last edited:

dezymond

Tech Support Mod
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Google Pixel
Just got the Steinheil ultra oleophobic on Friday and so far its great. Does a great job reducing fingerprints and is easy to wipe off. I left it in the hands of my 6yr old nephew(yeah bad idea) but it held up well to his little hands too. Definitely recommend it.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using DroidForums

magnus

Reaction score

Greeny

Reaction score
I bought the Otterbox Defender case because it has a built-in screen protector. Wasn't that a mistake, the screen protector makes the gorgeous display look like crap.

I tore that part of the case off since my Zagg Invisible shield and the Otterbox protector liked to pull together and make a smear like effect on the screen. No problem now. Case is bulky but fantastic at the $31 dollar price on EBay.

Liderc

Silver Member
Reaction score
So I received my Steinheil Ultra Oleophobic screen protectors today.

Let's just say, luckily there were two:p

Somehow, after reading the instructions and being what I would consider well versed in installing screen protectors, I attempted to install the first one backwards lol. It stuck to the screen quite well, but I was like hrm, this feels very tacky on the front.

So, after realizing my laughable mistake, I took the first one off and waited a few hours to try again.

Now, I knew ahead of time that these do not cover the entire screen, they leave about a .5-1MM border around the face of the device. Since the Nexus' screen is curved, having the dry application screen protector go all the way to the edge would result in the edges raising up and allowing dust/dirt under it, which I understand isn't a problem with wet applications.

When applying the protector it was very easy to line up because the cut out for the speaker is fairly precise, once you have the ear piece speaker centered in the cut out, you simply let the protector drop and slowly pull the piece of plastic off that is underneath the protector and use the squeegee as you move down the phone to prevent air bubbles.

I only had 2 air bubbles and just used the fiber cloth and my finger to push the air bubbles to the sides. I did have one small piece of the cloth actually stick under the corner of the protector, I simply lifted the edge with the provided squeegee and then scraped the small fiber off and laid the corner back down, worked perfectly.

My impressions of the protector after applied:

Does not affect the screen's appearance or performance at all.

You do notice the border around the protector that shows the .5mm space where your glass won't be protected, but this is necessary as mentioned above for dry application protectors.

The touch feels very similar to the glass, at first it felt a bit tacky, but once I wiped it down with the cloth and used it for 2-3 minutes it felt pretty much like the glass felt prior to installation.

There are no bubbles, the edges are completely flat.

One thing I did notice was there is no cut out for the front facing camera, which I thought their site showed it being cut out, but this does not seem to affect the quality of the FFC.

I have not noticed it being anymore finger print resistant than the glass or any worse either.

My only complaint would be the border that it creates, reminding you that you have a screen protector on your device. This is unlike my original Droid which I never noticed the screen protector, obviously a small price to pay if you're not willing to use wet application protectors like myself or don't like the orange peel affect/tacky touch they create.

Overall I'd give this product a 9/10.

It would be 10/10 if it covered the entire face and even though that's not their fault that dry application protectors can't go to the edge of the Nexus because of the curved screen, I still feel it is a negative. When I use an expensive protector, I expect to be able to forget that it's even on there and just erase the feeling that I'm going to scratch my screen if I toss it in my pocket.

So far it seems to be the best dry application protector for the Nexus and I would highly suggest it's use.

kristinz84

Reaction score
I got the Skinomi carbon case/shield protector. The film is OK, there are still smudges under the screen and scratches/dents on the film that are supposed to repair themselves but I haven't noticed any repairing. I was very careful in applying the film.

As for the carbon shield protector, I loved the way it felt and protected every part of the phone but it was almost impossible for me to put on. I noticed Zagg has the advanced protection which similarly covers the whole phone. Has anyone tried these shields? I really don't want a bulky cover for my phone because I love the way it looks.

creaky

Reaction score
I got the Skinomi carbon case/shield protector. The film is OK, there are still smudges under the screen and scratches/dents on the film that are supposed to repair themselves but I haven't noticed any repairing. I was very careful in applying the film.

As for the carbon shield protector, I loved the way it felt and protected every part of the phone but it was almost impossible for me to put on. I noticed Zagg has the advanced protection which similarly covers the whole phone. Has anyone tried these shields? I really don't want a bulky cover for my phone because I love the way it looks.

I just today applied the Skinomi and am awaiting the results (it's drying as I type).

I've heard good things about Zagg but a review I read on the Best Buy website (check out the last one: ZAGG - InvisibleSHIELD for Samsung Galaxy Nexus Mobile Phones - FFSAMNEXPRIS) said that it has the brand name printed on the protector and you can see it with the screen on! If this is the case, that's lame. Can anyone confirm or deny?

Alvarez13

Reaction score