Which Steinheil Screen Protector?

SSHGuru

Silver Member
Reaction score
Well I got it today. It came with two protectors and all of the application stuff it was supposed to come with.

My first try did not go well. I couldn't get a bubble (or mark) out of the screen. After a while I used the stickers to peel back the protector (mistake) and then it got ugly. When you peel it back it allows dust and defects to crop in and then you may as well throw it away (which I did).

I learned my lesson on the second one. It went on and I got the bubbles out except for a little line on the edge which is a mystery to me but I know if I peel it back it's done so I left it there.

A few hours after application a bubble appeared in the middle and I had to press hard on it to get it to go away - I don't know if it's just not sticking properly or what.

The feel is more of a plastic feel than the screen. Also I find it gets MORE fingerprints than the natural screen.

The edges do bother me a bit but they are not major.

Overall I am unsatisfied with this product. It's my first screen protector and likely will be my last. I'll leave it on until I can't stand it any more and then go naked.

OP
B

bamorris2

Reaction score
Well I got it today. It came with two protectors and all of the application stuff it was supposed to come with.

My first try did not go well. I couldn't get a bubble (or mark) out of the screen. After a while I used the stickers to peel back the protector (mistake) and then it got ugly. When you peel it back it allows dust and defects to crop in and then you may as well throw it away (which I did).

I learned my lesson on the second one. It went on and I got the bubbles out except for a little line on the edge which is a mystery to me but I know if I peel it back it's done so I left it there.

A few hours after application a bubble appeared in the middle and I had to press hard on it to get it to go away - I don't know if it's just not sticking properly or what.

The feel is more of a plastic feel than the screen. Also I find it gets MORE fingerprints than the natural screen.

The edges do bother me a bit but they are not major.

Overall I am unsatisfied with this product. It's my first screen protector and likely will be my last. I'll leave it on until I can't stand it any more and then go naked.

Well that's not encouraging, considering I just ordered mine earlier today! LOL

I'm not real big on screen protectors either, but the first GNex that I had showed me that the glass is not nearly as durable as the Gorilla Glass on my Droid X. I've had that for about a year, and barely have a scratch on it. With my first GNex though, I had MORE screen blemishes (small scratches) on it within the few days that I owned the phone. And I consider myself to be quite careful with my phones. They only go in my front pocket by itself (no keys, coins, etc). And I'm very gentle with overall handling as well. I still can't figure out how that GNex screen got scratches so soon.

Anyway, I'll see how I like the Steinheil protector. If I don't like it, then I'll look other places for one. I had a ZAGG on another phone years ago, but it just felt too rubbery to me. Maybe they've improved the tactile feel of them..??..

SSHGuru

Silver Member
Reaction score
Honestly, I ordered it before I had the GNEX because it didn't have Gorilla Glass. Now after having it I think the screen is just as durable and is more fingerprint resistant than any other phone I've had.

No scratches at all.

I bought the BEST screen protector I could get and it's showing fingerprints like nuts. Also there is a bubble that keeps popping up no matter what I do.

I'm very close to ripping it off and considering it a wasted $15. Never again.

SSHGuru

Silver Member
Reaction score
I just ripped it off and threw the whole package (except for the dust cloth) into the garbage.

1) It affected the colors and blacks. Not terribly but noticeably.

2) The bubbles and imperfections bothered me.

3) The protector got more fingerprints than the screen itself by a factor of 20. And it's VERY hard to wipe them off of the protector while easy to wipe them off the screen.

This was my first and last screen protector. Totally disappointed.

I'm going naked from here on. Would rather have a scratch than this thing on.

OP
B

bamorris2

Reaction score
Well, I got my Steinheil Ultra Oleophobic screen protector yesterday, and my review is different than SSHGuru's.

When I opened the package, I laid the screen protector on top of my screen to look at the sizing. It is true (as everyone has said) that this screen protector does not cover all of the screen. There is a very small lip around the edges that does not get covered.

To install it, I closed myself in our 3/4 bathroom and ran the shower with hot water for a few minutes. After creating some humidity, I began the installation process. For whatever reason, the first one didn't want to stick to my screen at all. I literally mean didn't stick AT ALL. It was defective, missing adhesive. Thankfully they include two. Anyway, the 2nd one installed very nicely. I went nice and slow, using the squeegee as I went. After it was fully on the screen, there were about 3 bubbles, but they all easily came out with further use of the squeegee.

As far as the screen protector not covering the entire screen, that is actually working to my advantage. I'm using Verizon's high-gloss silicone case. It has a small lip that slightly wraps around the screen. It just happens to line up great with the screen protector. Neither touch, and there is just a VERY small gap between the two. Not even close to being big enough to get scratches there.

Overall, I really like this product. I can't tell any difference with screen graphics quality. When I first installed it, my fingers wouldn't glide across the protector like they did on the glass. But after a few minutes, that went away. I guess the oil from my skin "conditioned" it. Anyway, it now feels just like the glass screen itself. It seems to repel finger prints at least as good as the naked glass did. And so far they seem to wipe off fairly easily.

Overall, I recommend this product.

SSHGuru

Silver Member
Reaction score
I'm glad you like it... everyone has different tastes. I tried the Verizon high glass black case and while it looked nice I felt it added too much bulk to the phone.

As far as the screen protector as I said it gets more fingerprints than the glass and felt like plastic to me.

I probably should have installed it in a "clean room" to get it on :)

Liderc

Silver Member
Reaction score
Posted this in another thread but it's important for this thread since I bought the Steinheil Ultra Oleophobic screen protector as well:

Now, I knew ahead of time that these do not cover the entire screen, they leave about a .5-1MM border around the face of the device. Since the Nexus' screen is curved, having the dry application screen protector go all the way to the edge would result in the edges raising up and allowing dust/dirt under it, which I understand isn't a problem with wet applications.

When applying the protector it was very easy to line up because the cut out for the speaker is fairly precise, once you have the ear piece speaker centered in the cut out, you simply let the protector drop and slowly pull the piece of plastic off that is underneath the protector and use the squeegee as you move down the phone to prevent air bubbles.

I only had 2 air bubbles and just used the fiber cloth and my finger to push the air bubbles to the sides. I did have one small piece of the cloth actually stick under the corner of the protector, I simply lifted the edge with the provided squeegee and then scraped the small fiber off and laid the corner back down, worked perfectly.

My impressions of the protector after applied:

Does not affect the screen's appearance or performance at all.

You do notice the border around the protector that shows the .5mm space where your glass won't be protected, but this is necessary as mentioned above for dry application protectors.

The touch feels very similar to the glass, at first it felt a bit tacky, but once I wiped it down with the cloth and used it for 2-3 minutes it felt pretty much like the glass felt prior to installation.

There are no bubbles, the edges are completely flat.

One thing I did notice was there is no cut out for the front facing camera, which I thought their site showed it being cut out, but this does not seem to affect the quality of the FFC.

I have not noticed it being anymore finger print resistant than the glass or any worse either.

My only complaint would be the border that it creates, reminding you that you have a screen protector on your device. This is unlike my original Droid which I never noticed the screen protector, obviously a small price to pay if you're not willing to use wet application protectors like myself or don't like the orange peel affect/tacky touch they create.

Overall I'd give this product a 9/10.

It would be 10/10 if it covered the entire face and even though that's not their fault that dry application protectors can't go to the edge of the Nexus because of the curved screen, I still feel it is a negative. When I use an expensive protector, I expect to be able to forget that it's even on there and just erase the feeling that I'm going to scratch my screen if I toss it in my pocket.

So far it seems to be the best dry application protector for the Nexus and I would highly suggest it's use.

dezymond

Tech Support Mod
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Google Pixel
Hmmm having complete opposite review of guru myself...I've posted a review in the droid general section of the forum under "screen and body protectors" so I won't repeat what I said. I love this screen protector and am completely happy with this purchase and choice of protector. Steinheil comes through again with a quality protector, IMO.

Guru is right on one point thought. If your hands are a bit greasy or dirty it is harder to wipe the finger prints off but if your hands are clean there is a huge difference in he amount of fingerprints it doesn't pick up. Sorry it didn't work for ya guru :)

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using DroidForums

PhiQuanTu

Reaction score
Verizon ones are pieces of crap, kind of like all of their accessories.

I use the Verizon clear protector and it's beautiful! I would love to do a side by side comparison to really understand what a pro like you mean Verizon's a cheap piece of sh't. But by looking at the way this screen protector giving the camera another layer of lense (by covering it), I don't think the designer/producer is any smarter than a ___ like you. May be they should also consider covering up the earpiece as well to make it perfect in quality?

Last edited:

alboboy10

Reaction score
I messed up applying the oleophobic one. I put it on the opposite side so I didn't get to test it.

Liderc

Silver Member
Reaction score
I use the Verizon clear protector and it's beautiful! I would love to do a side by side comparison to really understand what a pro like you mean Verizon's a cheap piece of sh't. But by looking at the way this screen protector giving the camera another layer of lense (by covering it), I don't think the designer/producer is any smarter than a ___ like you. May be they should also consider covering up the earpiece as well to make it perfect in quality?

Verizon is known for selling cheap products at a high mark up price. It's not my opinion, it's simply what they've always done.

What316

Reaction score
I messed up applying the oleophobic one. I put it on the opposite side so I didn't get to test it.

I just got this screen protector and did the same thing. Lucky there was two. Anyways this screen protector is GREAT! I had the verizon anti glare on...It's like a new phone now. Couldn't believe the difference. Only gripe is the edges are cutting it close, but it covers the screen entirely, barely.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk

Liderc

Silver Member
Reaction score
I just got this screen protector and did the same thing. Lucky there was two. Anyways this screen protector is GREAT! I had the verizon anti glare on...It's like a new phone now. Couldn't believe the difference. Only gripe is the edges are cutting it close, but it covers the screen entirely, barely. Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk
I did the same thing and I've installed dozens of protectors lol. I think they label those tabs wrong.

What316

Reaction score
I did the same thing and I've installed dozens of protectors lol. I think they label those tabs wrong.

I know, right? I was like this is wrong, but I wanted to follow the directions. Glad I didn't follow them on the second one...lol. They are definitely labeled wrong.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk

alboboy10

Reaction score
wow I thought i was the only one installing the screen protectors wrong!

I have literally been emailing those steinhell people about them labelling their screen protectors wrong. Every time I install the screen protector its like rubber. I was scared that was the screen protector at first.