Settings keep changing on their own

NickWBurns

Reaction score
Wondering if anyone else is having this problem or its just me. I keep noticing that my screen timeout and brightness along with some other settings keep changing on their own. I have it set to 20% and 1min timeout and it keeps randomly going back to auto brightness and 30sec. It has also been occurring with auto sync, it will turn off sync for some things I want and turn on ones I don't like FB and Twitter etc. I don't know if its maybe something I keep doing or if is just some system glitches that others are having. Any advice or input is appreciated, thanks in advance.

Sent through a bolt of thunder?

OP
NickWBurns

NickWBurns

Reaction score
Bump, any suggestions?

Sent through a bolt of thunder?

Caelum Bound

Reaction score
Hey, I'm actually relieved to see that someone else is experiencing the same issue, I'm hoping it's not a hardware issue. I have been having the same problem. Randomly, my display and sound settings will revert, and my sync will turn off. My brightness resets, backlight stays on for 30 seconds, and the vibrate on soft key press turns off. My ringtone remains, though. Anyway, maybe we can figure it out, although I'm also searching other forums. I am rooted, running Das BAMF 1.5 Remix with I believe the newest hybrid radio. Your post was prior to the leak, so it might relate to the root or rom or apps more than the radio.

firemonkey

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
LG Stylo2
I am also having this issue. My screen brightness resets, my timeout resets. Frustrating. I have to also keep turning off apps that turn on when not wanted. I am not tech savvy. So if you have answers please tell me like you would tell your grandma

WaggaSteve

Reaction score
Was there ever an answer on this. I am on my second phone and have same problem. Both phones Chinese but my samsung died

wmlaveck

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Nexus 9
I recently upgraded my Nexus 9 to Android 7. Now in settings the display keeps doing back to fixed screen orientation, ie, turning off auto rotate. I am thinking of going back to Android 6.

Yigal1952

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Galaxy s5
I am also having this issue. My screen brightness resets, my timeout resets. Frustrating. I have to also keep turning off apps that turn on when not wanted. I am not tech savvy. So if you have answers please tell me like you would tell your grandma

Yigal1952

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Galaxy s5
Has anyone received a response to this. I have tried everything (safe mode etc) and it's driving me mad. Please help me!

Sajo

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 7 Pro
Has anyone received a response to this. I have tried everything (safe mode etc) and it's driving me mad. Please help me!

Welcome to the forum. Do you have an HTC Thunderbolt phone, or a different model? And, are you having the same issue as the original poster...screen brightness resetting on it's own?

Yigal1952

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Galaxy s5
Welcome to the forum. Do you have an HTC Thunderbolt phone, or a different model? And, are you having the same issue as the original poster...screen brightness resetting on it's own?
I have s5 phone. The full brightness changes to automatic, the screen timeout fits from 5min to 30 sec, auto sync stops and haptic setting is cancelled

Sajo

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 7 Pro
I have s5 phone. The full brightness changes to automatic, the screen timeout fits from 5min to 30 sec, auto sync stops and haptic setting is cancelled
Did this just start recently after adding any new apps, or any app updates?

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

Yigal1952

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Galaxy s5
It's been going on for a few weeks now. I tried removing recently added apps, and out of desperation today I removed all apps except for original + "orthodox well known" e. G. Skype, whatsapp etc

Sajo

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 7 Pro
I'm not familiar with how to put a Galaxy S5 into Safe Mode, but have you tried running your phone in Safe Mode for a while? That prevents third party / Play Store apps from running to help troubleshoot issues.

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

Yigal1952

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Galaxy s5
Yes in safe mood all is fine.. But then certain apps don't work (like whatsapp) and then what do I do (in safe mode order to find the cause of the problem)
Thanks for your dialogue, and sorry that I am not IT savvy!

Sajo

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 7 Pro
Yes in safe mood all is fine.. But then certain apps don't work (like whatsapp) and then what do I do (in safe mode order to find the cause of the problem)
Thanks for your dialogue, and sorry that I am not IT savvy!

No need to apologize, we all learn new things from each other all the time. If things are working correctly in Safe Mode then that points to a Play Store app (one that you downloaded & installed that didn't come pre-loaded on the phone) as a possible cause of the problem. When the phone is running in Safe Mode Play Store apps that didn't come pre-installed do not run. That's why Whatsapp doesn't work in Safe Mode, it's a Play Store app that didn't come pre-installed on the phone. When issues like you described don't happen in Safe Mode that normally means an app is causing the problem. You could jump into a full Factory Data Reset (FDR) which resets the phone back to original factory settings, like the day you first turned it on, but you lose ALL personal files, pictures, music, etc. That may be a little drastic at this point. I would recommend uninstalling every app that you ever installed from the Play Store. Be sure and write down user names, passwords, etc for when you do re-install them....if necessary. Then go into Settings > Storage > Cached Data and tap that > Select OK to clear all old cached app data (this will not remove any personal files). Then reboot the phone (turn off & back on). See how it runs for a while. If all is good, slowly start re-installing apps that you need / use often one at a time and see how it runs. if you experience the same issues, you know which app is causing the problem.