Soft Bricked after reverting from Jelly Bean update

Beckeramos

Reaction score
spc_hicks09: I got it off the XDA Developers thread. I did not read thoroughly enough and only blame myself for my predicament. I still have the original JB update on my sdcard, it will not flash.
I think I stymied myself when I tried using RSD Lite to flash the sbf of ICS. I'd be happy to get just the stock JB working without root, but no joy.

Tell us what's going on? Are you able to get into recovery?

OP
D

d4vr0s

Reaction score
I can get into recovery, when I try to flash the JB update it errors with this: apply_patch_check on EMMC:boot
That's not verbatim, but I figured all the numbers and letters, which I guess are md5 checksums, aren't necessary to post.

I've already gotten a replacement phone from Verizon and have to send mine back. It would be nice to send it in with a working OS just in case they want to charge me for the repair.

Last edited:

spc_hicks09

Premium Member
Premium Member
Developer
Reaction score
Website
www.teamoctos.com
Current Phone Model
Samsung Galaxy S3
Twitter
spc_hicks09
I can get into recovery, when I try to flash the JB update it errors with this: apply_patch_check on EMMC:boot
That's not verbatim, but I figured all the numbers and letters, which I guess are md5 checksums, aren't necessary to post.

I've already gotten a replacement phone from Verizon and have to send mine back. It would be nice to send it in with a working OS just in case they want to charge me for the repair.

If you fastboot back to .211 (even if it won't boot). The run the update through stock recovery it should work.

defunct

Reaction score

what about using jb dual boot utility by lightwaver & matt to flash a different kernal (211) and then trying to fast boot back?

if you can fast boot you can flash the kernal

Ut3jaw

Reaction score
Use Matt's 1.8.2 (option 1) this will install .211 and no it won't fully boot.

Boot it anyway. You will spend some time with the Android with the rotating "heart" for lackof a better term, then it will fail.

Boot back into stock recovery, and choose to update from the /sdcard. This brings you back to stock Jelly Bean, still no way back and no way forward (no way to re-root) But at least you can make and take calls, and do non-root things with it again.

EDIT: Welcome to my hell.

Sorry to hear about all the trouble ppl are having with update. I did pretty well, with exception.

I updated to jelly bean, using OTA rootkeeper, I kept my root. Once running JB, I tried to use Titanium to restore phone...no go...forgot to restore root. With voodoo still protecting root, I powered down (can't remember reason, seemed like a good idea at the time for some other issue), upon coming back in, I tried to restore root and voodoo would not restore just stayed at same page. I used root checker and it won't work. I used SQLite to check permissions to see if my hotspot would still work for free, it was 0 and does still work. My double twist player (which I believe requires root) still works, my hotspot still works but I cannot back up my phone with Titanium or MyBackUp Pro. Seems I did not update my scripts on SuperUser nor did I update scripts on busybox resulting in my having some sort of limited root but unable to do anything new requiring root. I cannot believe I did not update busybox/superuser. I am kicking myself in the backside but thankful I'm not having any of the issues some are. The only bug I have is using swype capitalizes every word when using it on internet/browser pages but not on apps (i.e. if I were to post here or facebook via swype it would capitalize everything, if i use Facebook app, it does not), which is minor compared to some of the issues others are having. Anyone have any idea if it is possible to update busybox/superuser (scripts not app)? That my solve my dilemma. Anyway, hopefully we will be able to root these sooner than later. GL to those with issues.

CamoMike

Reaction score
Having same issue

I am having the exact same issue that was originally posted by d4vr0s. Has there been any updates to ADB (manually) or RSD the files over yet?

I have been working on trying to update JB manually (moto-fastboot.exe) and I no longer get errors but after the red M boot logo, I get a black screen only.

*I can boot into recovery
*I can reload from .zip

Nothing gets me past the M unfortunately.

I am in the process of getting 4.2.1 running in virtual box and grabbing my image off my phone so I can hopefully see what the problem is...

Last edited:
OP
D

d4vr0s

Reaction score
Have you tried doing a recovery mode factory reset?

Mine started its journey back to verizon on the 4th.

CamoMike

Reaction score
Yes. I booted into recovery, wiped cache, then did a factory reset. Rebooting gives me a black screen.

I also tried reloading the Blur_Version.6.16.211.XT912.Verizon.en.US.zip from my SD-ext in recovery with no luck either. I don't recall getting any errors doing "apply update from external storage", so I am doing it again to see if it runs through completely.

Last edited:

CamoMike

Reaction score
Holy mama

THANK GOD !!! I am not kidding, I did the same steps at least 10-15 times last night. I am using this to document my fix. My phone is now working, with errors, but it did boot to 4.1.2. Charging battery and will update everyone shortly...

EDIT - New post on fix after bricking JB - FIX: Soft Bricked after reverting from Jelly Bean update

C
amo

Last edited:

joefox1982

Reaction score
I'm hoping someone can help me out of this and I won't have to go to Verizon. I did a dumb thing, some background:

I had ICS with one of the patches they came out with later.
-Tried flashing to JB and it failed on file verification.
-Used Matt's 1.82 utility to put the phone back to stock ICS, but forgot to root :(
-Updated to JB
-Upon reboot, realizing that I forgot to root first I thought, hey I'll just go back to stock ICS and start over. Big mistake!
-I tried reverting back with Matt's 1.82 again and it failed on flashing the boot.img, so I tried using RSD Lite and the ICS SBF files and it also fails.
The error I'm getting when trying to write boot.img is "(bootloader) Preflash validation failure" So now I can't boot ICS nor can I reapply the JB update.

Anyone have any ideas on how to either get back to ICS or get JB working?

I've just got back to ICS on my Droid Razr Maxx (Spyder).
I dont't know if was because I have installed safestrap before instal Cyanogemmod 10.1 (Jelly Beam), but when I deleted all the /SDCARD-0 files and rebooted my phone, everything gone back to how it was. The old operation system (4.0.4), the older programs, configs, everything just perfect.
Note that the /SDCARD-0 was the internal memory, not a real sdcard.

joshxdroid

Reaction score
I've just got back to ICS on my Droid Razr Maxx (Spyder).
I dont't know if was because I have installed safestrap before instal Cyanogemmod 10.1 (Jelly Beam), but when I deleted all the /SDCARD-0 files and rebooted my phone, everything gone back to how it was. The old operation system (4.0.4), the older programs, configs, everything just perfect.
Note that the /SDCARD-0 was the internal memory, not a real sdcard.

That's because you safestrap rom slot is stored on your internal storage. So once you deleted the rom slot it had to boot up in stock. I'm assuming the same thing could have been accomplished by disabling safe side in safestrap. its Not at all the same problem this unfortunate soul is having his problem is due to trying to fastboot the wrong OS

Last edited: