The complete how-to

wmnomore

Reaction score
got it thanks guys. and let me tell you, the Smoked Glass 4.5 is the most amazing thing right now. everything works. i hear people say the 2.1 launcher is buggy, but it works flawlessly. might me because it is a 2.0.1 rom. i don't know. just discovering everything out and it's been fun. with winmo flashes, i always had something that didn't work. i can't find that with android. you guys are doing an awesome job here. i'm quite satisfied with my droid thanks to you.
thanks

shady828

Reaction score
hey guys, ive read this whole read and they said they found the "android" file but i cant....
the people who found it can you tell the exact location that you found the file in?

ive search everywhere in my C: Drive but i cant find it. I have windows 7 ultimate x64.
when i was installing the Motorola_Consumer_Driver_Installation_MotoConnect_1.1.16_64_bit_4.2.0.msi SDK wizard set up didnt come out. is that the reason why?
if it is than how do i make it come out???

Thanks in advance

smokiedabong

Reaction score
hey guys, ive read this whole read and they said they found the "android" file but i cant....
the people who found it can you tell the exact location that you found the file in?

ive search everywhere in my C: Drive but i cant find it. I have windows 7 ultimate x64.
when i was installing the Motorola_Consumer_Driver_Installation_MotoConnect_1.1.16_64_bit_4.2.0.msi SDK wizard set up didnt come out. is that the reason why?
if it is than how do i make it come out???

Thanks in advance

You downloaded the Android SDK "android-sdk_r04-windows.zip " . Just extract it anywhere you want , for example in C: drive and you gonna have a "C:\android-sdk_r04-windows " folder , that's the folder referred in this tutorial as the "android folder" . Access the "android-sdk_r04-windows" folder and then the "tools" folder , copy the address . For this exemple , it should be something like this " c:\android-sdk_r04-windows\tools " . You don't have to run the setup.exe inside the "android-sdk_r04-windows" folder for this to work , just follow the steps .
5) Once your in the tools directory don't click anymore folders! See the address bar at the top? It'll say the names of those folders...right click that address bar and copy the address like you would a URL...
6) Now, the tricky part. Go to My Computer or Computer (depending on what version you have) and right click it
7) Click on Properties
8) Now click on Advanced System Settings (that's what it says in Windows 7)
9) Now click Environment Variables
10) Now in the little scroll box scroll down to where it says Path and DOUBLE-CLICK it
11) It'll bring up another window that says "Edit System Variable", in the Variable Value text box, go to the very end of the long text address that's in it, make sure the cursor is at the VERY END of the address, and paste the directory you copied in STEP 5

Last edited:

shady828

Reaction score
Thanks smokie.

now how do i use this to get new framework for my phone? i wanted to change my calender. is that possible?

bastosero

Reaction score
This is a tutorial I decided to put together for all the people having difficulty out there, because I'm just nice like that (and bored)....

I know the Sholes Team has released an app to do everything for you, and that's awesome and very convenient...but what if for some reason you don't want Sholes ROMs for whatever reason? Not that their not AWESOME ROMs, I'm just saying what it you wanna try Bugless Beast or Bugless Beauty? Or some other cool new ROM that comes out in the future...

Well here you go.....a complete guide from scratch......

Let's Start with the SDK and ADB....

Ok....first, we need the Software Developer's Kit (SDK) for Android. You will need this time and time again on your computer to access ADB (Android Debug Bridge)...think DOS back in the "old days"....

Click this link, and at the Android Developers site scroll down and accept the License agreement and it should start to download automatically...(NOTE-THIS LINK IS FOR WINDOWS ONLY) And also their may be more installation requirements on that website...as well as Mac and Linux version downloads also...

Download the Android SDK | Android Developers

Here, you might need these drivers too:

Choose which driver suits your PC...

After .zip file downloads, extract it, and click the Motorola_Consumer_Driver_Installation_MotoConnect_1.1.16_32_bit_4.2.0 file and it will install the drivers for you for your Droid...

1) After this installs to your computer, you need to find the directory in which it is located...
2) Which should be your local disk (C:) drive in My Computer or Computer...
3) Click that drive, and you'll see a folder named "android", click that folder and you'll see a folder named "tools"...
4) Finally, click the folder named tools.
5) Once your in the tools directory don't click anymore folders! See the address bar at the top? It'll say the names of those folders...right click that address bar and copy the address like you would a URL...
6) Now, the tricky part. Go to My Computer or Computer (depending on what version you have) and right click it
7) Click on Properties
8) Now click on Advanced System Settings (that's what it says in Windows 7)
9) Now click Environment Variables
10) Now in the little scroll box scroll down to where it says Path and DOUBLE-CLICK it
11) It'll bring up another window that says "Edit System Variable", in the Variable Value text box, go to the very end of the long text address that's in it, make sure the cursor is at the VERY END of the address, and paste the directory you copied in STEP 5

That SHOULD direct ADB straight to this directory in ADB Shell....otherwise you would have to enter this directory manually every time you used ADB...so yeah this is convenient in the long-run

And that's it!! With ADB anyway!!
:icon_ banana:

Okay, Now Let's Root Your DROID!!!!

To root your Droid,

1) Download this file:

http://rootyourdroid.info/files/update.zip

2) Using your USB cord, plug your Droid into your computer and pull the notification bar down from the top of the Droid's screen, and press "USB connected" and then press "Mount"
3) Whenever your sdcard of your Droid is connected, right click the update.zip file and click copy
4) Then, navigate to your sdcard in My Computer or Computer (it's called Removable Disk or something along those lines), right click the main top most file of your sdcard (don't go INTO your sdcard) and click paste
5) When it's done copying the file, turn off USB storage by pulling down the notification bar again and then click Unmount
6) Power off your Droid
7) Slide out the physical keyboard and hold down the "x" button, while continuing to hold that down, hold down the power button at the same time until the Motorola logo pops up then you can let them go
8) Instead of the Droid eye, you'll see a symbol kinda like this: /!\
9) Press and hold the volume UP button first, then press the camera button
10) You'll see a menu pop up, using the D-pad on the physical keyboard, navigate down to the last option, which is something like "install: /sdcard/update.zip"
11) Select that, and allow it to install...when it's done navigate back up to "reboot"

And you've just rooted your Droid!!!!! :icon_ banana: Yayyyy!!!!!

Okay now that you've rooted....you wanna install all these cool new ROMs right? Well you're gonna need something else before you do that too so just hang tight...

Now Let's Get On To SPRecovery 0.99.2b....

Download these 2 files:

http://sp.sholes.info/flash_image
http://downloads.sholes.info/recovery-0.99.2b.img

1) Whenever these files are finished downloading, place them on your sdcard the EXACT same way you placed the ROOT file on your sdcard in the above guide...then unmount your sdcard...but stay plugged into the computer via USB
2) On your Droid, go into Settings > Applications > Development > and check off "USB debugging"
3) On your computer (WINDOWS), click on the Start button, in the Search bar at the bottom of the Start window, type "cmd" (without quotations) and hit enter
4) The command prompt will pop up and you will need to type these commands into the prompt EXACTLY AS THEY ARE:

adb shell
dd if=/sdcard/flash_image of=/data/local/flash_image
chmod 755 /data/local/flash_image
rm /sdcard/flash_image
su
/data/local/flash_image recovery /sdcard/recovery-0.99.2b.img
mount -o remount,rw /dev/null /system
mv /system/recovery-from-boot.p /system/recovery-from-boot.p.bak
mv /system/etc/install-recovery.sh /system/etc/install-recovery.sh.bak
reboot recovery

Now after you enter that last command, it should reboot your phone into recovery. Remember how when you rooted and you went to that screen with a /!\ symbol and you had to press the volume and camera buttons?? Well if the above ADB commands were entered properly, and the 2 files were placed on the sdcard properly, then you should not get that screen again. You should instead get a slightly similar screen that should say created by SirPsychoS at the very top of the screen...as well as the version number which is 0.99.2b

Now You Have SPRecovery, Which Means You Can Now Install ROMs!!! :icon_ banana::icon_ banana::icon_ banana::icon_ banana::icon_ banana:

Now you need to select reboot. With SPRecovery, you can now make backup copies of your current ROM, just in case something might ever happen....and this recovery has been one too many a life-saver for many, including myself....for recovering a potentially bricked Droid from what would've otherwise been doomed had it not been for SPRecovery...

When your phone reboots you need to Mount your sdcard to your computer, and then click on the sdcard file to where you can see all the files that are inside of it. Create a new folder within this directory, and name that folder "nandroid"...this is where all your backup ROMs will be stored by SPRecovery...

Now Let's Install a ROM!!!!

Since it's so popular at the moment, and it seems to have all the latest, most currently available goodies...I'll use Pete's Bugless Beast 0.7.4 ROM from over at alldroid.org as my example for installation....so all you newbs can follow these instructions exactly if you want it!! ONLY IF YOU'VE DONE THE PREVIOUS STEPS IN THIS POST THAT IS....

First I'll explain the nandroid installation.....

BEFORE YOU DO ANYTHING ALWAYS PERFORM A NANDROID BACKUP BECAUSE YOU NEVER KNOW....

To do this,

1) Power phone off
2) Hold "x" plus the power button (in that order) and reboot into SPRecovery
3) Using the volume buttons to navigate, go down to backup/restore and select
4) Select Advanced Nandroid Backup
5) Select Set backup name
6) Make up a name so you recognize it later with physical keyboard and hit enter
7) Make sure all options are selected (BOOT, CACHE, DATA, MISC, RECOVERY, SYSTEM)
8)
Select Perform backup
9) When it's done, press power button to navigate back through windows, and select Reboot system now

And that's a nandroid backup...
1) Now download Pete's BB 0.7.4 nandroid backup:
http://androidoverdrive.com/pete/Version0.7.4/BDS-20100203-2303.rar
2) When its finished, extract the file onto your desktop with WinRAR
3) The folder extracted will be a zip folder with a name like BDS-20100203-2015.zip, NOT .rar, do not use that one
4) Mount your Droid's sdcard, copy the zip file to the inside of that nandroid folder you created earlier
5) Unmount the Droid, power off and reboot into SPRecovery
6) Select Wipe data/factory reset, and then Wipe cache partition
7) Select backup/restore
8) Select Advanced nandroid restore, and select "Choose backup"
9) Choose the one you just downloaded....
BDS-20100203-2015.zip
10) And the choose Perform restore..and when its done...go back and select Reboot system now

And there ya go!! :icon_ banana:

And I can trust you can figure out the update.zip version....its actually a bit more simpler than the nandroid....but that's about it!!!!!!! :icon_ banana::icon_ banana::icon_ banana:

Right now I have the 0.99.3b. How often do they update SPRecovery file?

SG181

Reaction score

Download these 2 files:

1) Whenever these files are finished downloading, place them on your sdcard the EXACT same way you placed the ROOT file on your sdcard in the above guide...then unmount your sdcard...but stay plugged into the computer via USB
2) On your Droid, go into Settings > Applications > Development > and check off "USB debugging"
3) On your computer (WINDOWS), click on the Start button, in the Search bar at the bottom of the Start window, type "cmd" (without quotations) and hit enter
4) The command prompt will pop up and you will need to type these commands into the prompt EXACTLY AS THEY ARE:

adb shell
rm /sdcard/flash_image
su
reboot recovery

Now after you enter that last command, it should reboot your phone into recovery. Remember how when you rooted and you went to that screen with a /!\ symbol and you had to press the volume and camera buttons?? Well if the above ADB commands were entered properly, and the 2 files were placed on the sdcard properly, then you should not get that screen again. You should instead get a slightly similar screen that should say created by SirPsychoS at the very top of the screen...as well as the version number which is 0.99.2b

Now You Have SPRecovery, Which Means You Can Now Install ROMs!!! :icon_ banana::icon_ banana::icon_ banana::icon_ banana::icon_ banana:

Now you need to select reboot. With SPRecovery, you can now make backup copies of your current ROM, just in case something might ever happen....and this recovery has been one too many a life-saver for many, including myself....for recovering a potentially bricked Droid from what would've otherwise been doomed had it not been for SPRecovery...

When your phone reboots you need to Mount your sdcard to your computer, and then click on the sdcard file to where you can see all the files that are inside of it. Create a new folder within this directory, and name that folder "nandroid"...this is where all your backup ROMs will be stored by SPRecovery...
I'm stuck at this part. The links appear to be broken, and I haven't been able to find any other directions on how to get past this step. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Also, if I want to install Smoked Glass instead of Bugless Beast, do I just follow the same instructions but replace Pete's BB download with the link here :AllDroid - View topic - [ROM] Smoked Glass v4.5 - Custom Boot.img *Updated 2/19* ?

bastosero

Reaction score

Download these 2 files:

adb shell
rm /sdcard/flash_image
su
reboot recovery

I'm stuck at this part. The links appear to be broken, and I haven't been able to find any other directions on how to get past this step. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Also, if I want to install Smoked Glass instead of Bugless Beast, do I just follow the same instructions but replace Pete's BB download with the link here :AllDroid - View topic - [ROM] Smoked Glass v4.5 - Custom Boot.img *Updated 2/19* ?

For the Smoked Glass just download the ROM to your computer. Then, unzip the file. Next, Make sure the main folder, where the files are kept, isn't inside another folder (if it is, take it out). You can then place the folder in your nandroid folder of the SD card of your Droid. Get into recovery mode and install the ROM.

If you need the flash_image and the latest SPRecovery files let me know and I'll upload and post a link of them.

Last edited:

SG181

Reaction score

Download these 2 files:

adb shell
rm /sdcard/flash_image
su
reboot recovery

For the Smoked Glass just download the ROM to your computer. Then, unzip the file. Next, Make sure the main folder, where the files are kept, isn't inside another folder (if it is, take it out). You can then place the folder in your nandroid folder of the SD card of your Droid. Get into recovery mode and install the ROM.

If you need the flash_image and the latest SPRecovery files let me know and I'll upload and post a link of them.
Yes, I could still use the flash_image and SPRecovery files. Since sholes.info is down and replaced by DroidMod (which does not have the links on the site), I am unable to access the files via the links.

bastosero

Reaction score

Yes, I could still use the flash_image and SPRecovery files. Since sholes.info is down and replaced by DroidMod (which does not have the links on the site), I am unable to access the files via the links.

Here is the flash_image file:

Download flash_image from Sendspace.com - send big files the easy way

Here is the latest SPRecovery file:

Download recovery-0.99.3b.img from Sendspace.com - send big files the easy way

SG181

Reaction score
I managed to successfully install everything, and got Smoked Glass up and running. It looks absolutely amazing. Thanks so much for all the help, definitely wouldn't have gotten it done without you guys.

lmdodds

Reaction score

Here is the flash_image file
Download flash_image from Sendspace.com - send big files the easy way

Here is the latest SPRecovery file:

Download recovery-0.99.3b.img from Sendspace.com - send big files the easy way

after i get the cmd prompt i try typing in the first line adb shell, when i hit return it says "its not a recognized as an internal or external command, operable program or batch file."

EDIT: my bad i guess i didnt read very well, i just got my droid a few days ago and ive read so much stuff i think i took in to much info at once.. LOL

got it working thanks for the great guide :)

Last edited:

capnfuffy

Reaction score
This thread helped me here and there in getting started with the whole post-root experience. A simple thanks for the thread starter that put all that stuff together. Looking forward to diving in to future post-root endeavors.

wirezd

Reaction score
SPRecovery download links are NOT working. Can anyone send me both the correct links for that part?

OP
natediddy1120

natediddy1120

Silver Member
Reaction score
Yeah I'm sorry about the dead links for SPRecovery....gimme a little bit and I should be able to upload new ones..