The complete how-to

LoneGang

Reaction score
So I done this a few times. But his throws me for a loop. PETE says to do this "Uninstall any apk & odex files I previously moved to /data" if installing over BB7.6. Please explain how.

mr_goodwrench

Reaction score
So, I rooted my phone and put flash_image and recovery-0.99.3b.img on my card. When I got to the su command, I kept getting the 'Permission Denied' message. I double checked to be sure that I had rooted correctly and verified that Superuser Permissions was in my application list. I found that if I entered the su command with the Permissions application open, a dialog would come up asking me to allow or deny the request for access. Selecting allow cured my Permission Denied problem! :icon_ banana:

OP
natediddy1120

natediddy1120

Silver Member
Reaction score
Goodwrench,

Make sure when that permission window pops up, to click "remember" before you click "allow"

Do that on ANY root app that asks that

mr_goodwrench

Reaction score
Thanks Nate, I forgot to mention the remember option... luckily I remembered to check it! Thanks for the write-up, it is really helpful.

OP
natediddy1120

natediddy1120

Silver Member
Reaction score
Hey everyone :)

The SPRecovery links in the OP have been updated as well as other things in the guide...

And I also included new instructions on flashing ClockworkMod recovery image by koush

Enjoy!!

mrdroid

Reaction score
natediddy1120,

nice guide. just please add this to it... before starting the su commands from adb go to settings > applications > development and check stay awake, then go back to the home screen. when you type the first su command a box will pop up asking you to allow root access, check remember and click allow.

I know this has been mentioned before but would eliminate a lot of questions if it was in the guide. A lot of people are getting yelled at that they aren't following the steps... when actually their screen probably went to sleep because they ARE reading the steps and never saw the Allow root pop-up lol.

OP
natediddy1120

natediddy1120

Silver Member
Reaction score
natediddy1120,

nice guide. just please add this to it... before starting the su commands from adb go to settings > applications > development and check stay awake, then go back to the home screen. when you type the first su command a box will pop up asking you to allow root access, check remember and click allow.

I know this has been mentioned before but would eliminate a lot of questions if it was in the guide. A lot of people are getting yelled at that they aren't following the steps... when actually their screen probably went to sleep because they ARE reading the steps and never saw the Allow root pop-up lol.

Good idea :) updated the OP

The Z Machine

Reaction score
I'm having some trouble on these instructions, specifically on the SPRecovery section.

I've got root (su) access; however, the command: /data/local/flash_image recovery /sdcard/recovery-0.99.3b.img
gives: mtd: read all-zero block at 0x00000000; skipping

So it looks like the 'recovery' command isn't working for me. Suggestions? If I continue, something isn't applied it seems...

And, yes, the 'recovery-0.99.3b.img' file is located at the root directory of my sd card.

Last edited:
OP
natediddy1120

natediddy1120

Silver Member
Reaction score
I'm having some trouble on these instructions, specifically on the SPRecovery section.

I've got root (su) access; however, the command: /data/local/flash_image recovery /sdcard/recovery-0.99.3b.img

So it looks like the 'recovery' command isn't working for me. Suggestions? If I continue, something isn't applied it seems...

And, yes, the 'recovery-0.99.3b.img' file is located at the root directory of my sd card.

It's funny you mention this actually. Because I kept getting the exact SAME error on the exact SAME command the other night. Turned out, it was because there was something wrong with my sdcard. Don't ask me why....

In short, I had to grab the sdcard out of my old BB Storm and try again. And that time it worked...

The Z Machine

Reaction score

It's funny you mention this actually. Because I kept getting the exact SAME error on the exact SAME command the other night. Turned out, it was because there was something wrong with my sdcard. Don't ask me why....

In short, I had to grab the sdcard out of my old BB Storm and try again. And that time it worked...
Hmmm... I don't have an extra SD card. I might be able to snag one at work though...

Also, it seems the "X" + "Power button" thing now locks my phone...

D3C4F

Reaction score
I'm having trouble with the SPRecovery part. As many times as I enter the commands in it doesn't work. It always says "... was unexpected at this time." or "... is not a recognizable command." Tips/Solutions?

sdt1212

Reaction score
I have been able to all the nandroid restores and never had a problem. i am trying to install a theme by update.zip and and keep getting the error of "E:Can't open /sdcard,update.zip (no such file or directory)"
I download the file to my computer then copy it over to the sd card with the name update.zip. i have not other files on the sd card that are named update.zip
Any help would be greatly appreciated.

D3C4F

Reaction score
This is pretty frustrating... No matter how many times I type "adb shell" it wont work. I constantly get the same error. " 'adb' is not recognized as an internal or external command, operable program or batch file.

I followed your steps to a T and its just not working... Help?

D3C4F

Reaction score
Ok I made it through the command prompt and it didn't come up with "SirPsycho..." or whatever, it just had the the normal exclamation point in a triangle. Did it work or not? I'm not really sure what I did to make the command prompt work and I'm attempting it again right now and it's saying "Permission Denied." A response on this question would be helpful. Sooner than later since I've been working on this for hours.......... I refuse to give up.