The Official: I am having reception issues thread

Three new cells and two SIMs and it still has half the signal of the Bionic side by side.
GN =100-120 to DB=55-79.

Bionic is having their fair share of data connection issues believe me.

Here is my experience with the Nexus after 7 days:

Phone reception is fine, data reception is another story. IF I keep it I will hold out hope a baseband update can make data reception stronger. The G Nex has yet to see 4G in my apt. I put my razr on my window sill, was showing 1x, was about to wait to see if it would connect to LTE and I forgot it was on cdma. I set it to LTE. It lost signal, went to 1x, 3G and 4G in about 3-5 minutes. The G Nex in the same spot never saw 4G after 2-3 hours I just gave up. Toggling Airplane mode, networks didnt change a thing. My case is extreme cuz for me to even see 4G in my apt is amazing.

Earlier my RAZR dropped the connection going from a good to a weaker reception area. Aaww... At the same time...the Nexus went to 3G and stayed there. Yeaaa. Wild part is when the RAZR got LTE back...the G Nex was still on 3G. ??? I tested the Nexus and it really was still on 3G while the RAZR had no connection, web page was still working on the Nexus. Nexus eventually got 4G back, but after the RAZR did. And that was with the RAZR dropping the connection all the way.

Was using Wifi in my apt on the Nexus. Went outside, took it off. The switch over from no signal, 1x, 3G 4G was fast. Same scenario with my RAZR one time...it was slower with me probably having to toggle Airplane Mode and networks to get it back.

In a really good reception area, the G Nex was consistently faster than my RAZR by 5-6 Mbps, so it aint the hardware with my phone, cant be. It shows it can perform, right? So what in the world is going on....lol.

Between Moto, Samsung and HTC....Moto and Samsung have their own LTE chips, HTC is using some by Qualcomm. I think the Qualcomm one might be the best right now between them for LTE, followed by either Moto or Samsung. Or maybe the antenna being on the battery door helps the Rezound. I havent tried 4.0.3 radios, wont unless I decide to keep it. Maybe software updates will help both phones, or both phones need to be exchanged.

And ppl really need to stop going by bars n decibels when comparing the G Nex to another phone or for reception in general, just go by real world use.

Last edited:
Here is my experience with the Nexus after 7 days:

Phone reception is fine, data reception is another story. IF I keep it I will hold out hope a baseband update can make data reception stronger. The G Nex has yet to see 4G in my apt. I put my razr on my window sill, was showing 1x, was about to wait to see if it would connect to LTE and I forgot it was on cdma. I set it to LTE. It lost signal, went to 1x, 3G and 4G in about 3-5 minutes. The G Nex in the same spot never saw 4G after 2-3 hours I just gave up. Toggling Airplane mode, networks didnt change a thing. My case is extreme cuz for me to even see 4G in my apt is amazing.

Earlier my RAZR dropped the connection going from a good to a weaker reception area. Aaww... At the same time...the Nexus went to 3G and stayed there. Yeaaa. Wild part is when the RAZR got LTE back...the G Nex was still on 3G. ??? I tested the Nexus and it really was still on 3G while the RAZR had no connection, web page was still working on the Nexus. Nexus eventually got 4G back, but after the RAZR did. And that was with the RAZR dropping the connection all the way.

Was using Wifi in my apt on the Nexus. Went outside, took it off. The switch over from no signal, 1x, 3G 4G was fast. Same scenario with my RAZR one time...it was slower with me probably having to toggle Airplane Mode and networks to get it back.

In a really good reception area, the G Nex was consistently faster than my RAZR by 5-6 Mbps, so it aint the hardware with my phone, cant be. It shows it can perform, right? So what in the world is going on....lol.

Between Moto, Samsung and HTC....Moto and Samsung have their own LTE chips, HTC is using some by Qualcomm. I think the Qualcomm one might be the best right now between them for LTE, followed by either Moto or Samsung. Or maybe the antenna being on the battery door helps the Rezound. I havent tried 4.0.3 radios, wont unless I decide to keep it. Maybe software updates will help both phones, or both phones need to be exchanged.

And ppl really need to stop going by bars n decibels when comparing the G Nex to another phone or for reception in general, just go by real world use.

I thought the Gnex has a Qualcomm chip in it? I just peeled a tiny sticker off the bottom my my Gnex near the charge port that said Qualcomm 4G.

I thought the Gnex has a Qualcomm chip in it? I just peeled a tiny sticker off the bottom my my Gnex near the charge port that said Qualcomm 4G.

If thats the case....then what in the world is going on? I dont get it.... I see the sticker on mine too...lol. ALl I know is I'm about to try to flash 4.0.3 radios and see if that helps.

Flashed the 4.0.3 radios.... saw 4G by my window sill for a hot second...lol. Hasnt been back since, couldnt even do a speed test before it disappeared. 3G is better tho, thats including away from my window. Back to a constant 3G only at my window sill. Baseband updates might can fix it. There is hope. Question is will there be enough baseband updates to adress it completely or better? I got a feeling that for some ppl the 4.0.3 radios did improve some things.

Need to also flash the leak for the RAZR to see what that does. As of right now the G Nex with 4.0.3 radios has better 3G speeds in my apt than my other phones, including the RAZR.

Those that got a Nexus, you better use its biggest strength: installing updates yourself.

Last edited:
I believe it's half and half.

After getting the Nexus and having the outage on the same weekend, I was worried about the unit.

but I've also seen improvements in my area overall.

It's still not perfect, but getting better. I tend to believe it is harder on most of us who are in fringe areas where it is switching over more as it tries to get a good signal either way, and in that vein I think VZ's network strategy is not working out in that regard. Trying to auth back onto 3G when that network never had it before is something they need to correct.

I'm ready to flash the 4.0.3 radios, but am holding off, may ride until OTA release this month, if it doesn't come may do it anyway. I believe it will assist those in fringe areas, and make the overall experience better.

I'm ready to flash the 4.0.3 radios, but am holding off, may ride until OTA release this month, if it doesn't come may do it anyway. I believe it will assist those in fringe areas, and make the overall experience better.

has there been an announcement (or leaked info) indicating that 4.0.3 will be released this month?

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using DroidForums

Forgive me, I tired to see if it was already addressed in this thread but there is a bit too much to read through...

At first I seemed to be having the most problems with my data connection indoors. Fine, I can live with that, I have wifi in my apartment.
But lately, it seems like it takes 5 minutes to connect to anything anytime the data connection changes. Since the phone automatically switches between 3 and 4g (which I appear to be on a fringe area for 4g, at least for this phone) using my phone makes me want to beat my head into a wall. It is almost becoming worthless.

Anything I can do?

I would like to chime in on something that i have found out. Remember when 4G 1st came out to verizon and some people were doing tests online and they said that they lost connection in buildings? Well its the type on technology that LTE is that causes things to interfere more, mainly buildings. Thats my theory. Now onto the phone itself... i have had 3 to 4 bars on LTE but have see from -93 to -73dB. Right now its -92dB and 48 asu and 3 bars. (whats that mean anyways?) BTW signal strength on my OG droid is -63 with 3 bars. I will also include some speed tests:

View attachment 45906View attachment 45907

Also i have a BIG ? Was 3G like this in the beganing on verizon or any other EVDO network? Im sure it was but some feedback would be nice.

I got a replacement a few days ago because my first phone was having screen issues, and this one is having terrible reception and battery issues. Throughout the day it won't let me make calls or text at random times and overnight it loses connection, every night, and will continue searching for a signal (draining my bad battery even further) and not find one. There's just no reason for any of this and it's totally unacceptable.

I'm getting another replacement tomorrow. This will be my second and final replacement. If it's no good, I'm going back to my Droid and I'll wait for something better to release. :dry:

Forgive me, I tired to see if it was already addressed in this thread but there is a bit too much to read through...

At first I seemed to be having the most problems with my data connection indoors. Fine, I can live with that, I have wifi in my apartment.
But lately, it seems like it takes 5 minutes to connect to anything anytime the data connection changes. Since the phone automatically switches between 3 and 4g (which I appear to be on a fringe area for 4g, at least for this phone) using my phone makes me want to beat my head into a wall. It is almost becoming worthless.

Anything I can do?

I am just talking to myself here but after searching other forums I learned that there is a setting for CDMA only. Now I have no issues; Verizons 4g/the antenna are my Nexus' only issue.

I am just talking to myself here but after searching other forums I learned that there is a setting for CDMA only. Now I have no issues; Verizons 4g/the antenna are my Nexus' only issue.

ive rooted and am now running on 4.0.3 but i have also givin up on 4g until it more widespread and run only on cdma mode. absolutely no signal problems anymore , i used to lose data constantly i think due to the fact that i am in a "fringe" 4g area

no complaints really .. phone is still super fast on 3g and ridiculously fast on wifi

I've decided to bring the Nexus back. I love the phone, but I just cannot deal with the reception issues. I tried turning it to CDMA only, but I still cannot get reception at my desk at work where I used to get a solid (albeit 1x, one bar) connection on my Thunderbolt. I'm in NH right now visiting my folks, and where I was able to get a connection at some areas of the house, with the Galaxy Nexus I cannot get a signal at all. It is clear to me that it's not a matter of what the signal bars are showing, or what the dBm numbers are (or whether or not they are accurate). There are two fringe areas that I have always gotten reception with other phones -- my desk and my folks' house. With the Nexus, I do not get reception at either of these areas, and my battery dies in a couple hours trying to get service. My folks are pretty much in a dead zone, so that's not a real issue, but if I can't get a signal at work, that IS a deal killer. Previously, an original Droid, a DX2 that I had for a few days, and my Thunderbolt didn't have problems at my desk.

The other deal killer for me is this issue, which I am experiencing:
http://code.google.com/p/android/issues/detail?id=22307

S
ince I use my phone in a car dock using aux-in to my car stereo every day, having that pop go through the speakers really worries me. I don't want to kill the speakers in my car.

Now the only question is which do I get now -- Droid RAZR (seeming locked, but has plenty of accessories/docks/protectors available) or the HTC Rezound (seemingly unlocked, better phone, but likely not as popular, therefore fewer mods, accessories, etc)?

Or wait for something better?

Back