The "Official" Waiting for an Update Thread

bsweetness

Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 2 XL
I'm thinking that's they way it will be since VZW has 2 apps that come with the OS. Sucks... kind of make the Nexus a Nexus Lite in that regard. Great phone though and I'm super happy with it, but there's def a filter between Google and us.

There are also necessary proprietary files that go along with a CDMA device, which is another reason why Verizon has a big hand in the updates.

mikespe

Reaction score
You people kill me with your complaints about updates LOL! Try owning a Bionic! I just switched to a Nexus from the Bionic because of a locked bootloader, bad data issues, TERRIBLE battery life...and flashing roms is dangerous & aren't complete. I'm running Liquid 1.25 on my new used Nexus and loving life! It is so freeing to be able to install whatever rom I want! The Bionic is like living in a gated community. Yea there are some benefits but it's WAY too restricting!

and for those who are "waiting for something official"...why own the Nexus? This phone was created with the developer in mind...it is MEANT to be open & rooted. That's it's power. For those who won't root (which I do respect your choice...rooting is NOT for everyone) the RAZR MAX might be the better choice....

gernerttl

Reaction score
You people kill me with your complaints about updates LOL! Try owning a Bionic! I just switched to a Nexus from the Bionic because of a locked bootloader, bad data issues, TERRIBLE battery life...and flashing roms is dangerous & aren't complete. I'm running Liquid 1.25 on my new used Nexus and loving life! It is so freeing to be able to install whatever rom I want! The Bionic is like living in a gated community. Yea there are some benefits but it's WAY too restricting!

and for those who are "waiting for something official"...why own the Nexus? This phone was created with the developer in mind...it is MEANT to be open & rooted. That's it's power. For those who won't root (which I do respect your choice...rooting is NOT for everyone) the RAZR MAX might be the better choice....

This is mild compared to the complaints being posted when Froyo for certain Samsung phones was delayed. They were rather quite humorous...especially the ones about bring a class action lawsuit against Verizon or people threatening to drop Verizon.

wolstonc

Reaction score

Because according to Verizon and Google, nexus means official updates straight from Google. Rooting voids your warranty. On a phone that is known for running hot, I'd rather not take that chance. Plus I like Google's software a lot more than Joe Shmoe making roms out of his mothers basement. I like pure android, not a company's skin or an Indy developers version. That's also what nexus means. Pure android. Updates straight from Google. Those are a lot more associated with Nexus than "meant to be rommed", except in a few techie forums and sites.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using DroidForums

gernerttl

Reaction score
Because according to Verizon and Google, nexus means official updates straight from Google. Rooting voids your warranty. On a phone that is known for running hot, I'd rather not take that chance. Plus I like Google's software a lot more than Joe Shmoe making roms out of his mothers basement. I like pure android, not a company's skin or an Indy developers version. That's also what nexus means. Pure android. Updates straight from Google. Those are a lot more associated with Nexus than "meant to be rommed", except in a few techie forums and sites.

Amen!

alboboy10

Reaction score
Every android is better with root. But I just can't learn that whole process of rooting. I wish it was easier to root and install roms. I don't have enough time throughout the day to come home sit down and worry about something going wrong with my phone because I have to unroot it!

For whoever knows how to root and has gotten comfortable installing roms, thats great I wish I knew how. I just don't like trying things on my own. If I had someone explain to me and I got comfortable with it I'd root too and try things to make the phone better and more fun.

But for now I don't wanna root because I can do screenshots, tether, lock apps , etc things that were only available with root in the past. I'd just want my battery to last all day and have the phone be a bit smoother and this phone would be perfect for me.

WookieClaws

Reaction score

Not all of us are complaining about updates... though I do want it. I'm willing to wait for the OTA to be ready, and right. People are impatient and want what they want when they want it. Human nature I guess, but not all of us are super uptight. I will be a happy camper when that OTA notice arrives though :)

As for rooting, yeah its not for everyone. But that doesn't mean a Nexus isn't for you either. I don't want to brick a $600 phone, that's not my idea of a good time. I've also go insurance on my phone and would like to be able to use it in case something happens. I don't have a backup VZW phone to use for another year if something happened to my Nexus. Plus, I actually like my phone stock. I got a Nexus because it will see updates faster than any other line of phones. May be no as fast as some want/expect but it will be faster than the Bionic or Razr etc.

gunner8168

Reaction score
The only reason someone bricks their phone is either because they didn't do the research first or because they were trying something new I didn't understand how to use wugfreshes root tool kit but I just read and watched a few videos and now I'm totally comfortable. And if your worried about having to make an insurance claim and you are totally screwed I do believe they cover damage " wink wink "

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk

xDMONEYx

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Huawei Nexus 6P
Twitter
bentxnail
Not all of us are complaining about updates... though I do want it. I'm willing to wait for the OTA to be ready, and right. People are impatient and want what they want when they want it. Human nature I guess, but not all of us are super uptight. I will be a happy camper when that OTA notice arrives though :)

As for rooting, yeah its not for everyone. But that doesn't mean a Nexus isn't for you either. I don't want to brick a $600 phone, that's not my idea of a good time. I've also go insurance on my phone and would like to be able to use it in case something happens. I don't have a backup VZW phone to use for another year if something happened to my Nexus. Plus, I actually like my phone stock. I got a Nexus because it will see updates faster than any other line of phones. May be no as fast as some want/expect but it will be faster than the Bionic or Razr etc.

I've heard it's pretty difficult to hard brick this phone. Almost any brick that occurs can be repaired by returning to stock via Wug's. It is a developer phone, and with the unlocked bootloader, it is tough to hard brick.

billyk

Reaction score
For me, I've got no problem waiting for the update.

Hey, I get to use the hottest phone on the market in the mean time. :biggrin:

OP
Crankintopwater69

Crankintopwater69

Silver Member
Reaction score
This phone is unbrickable.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk
Plz stop telling everybody,this phone is unbrickable,Im like richcsr,My Nexus is Boring,so I took it outside and hit it with a brick,and now,cos YOU said its unbrickable,my Nexus is busted,I think YOU owe me a brand new SG3 when it comes out. :p

Reaction score
Wow Google you suck!
This phone was supposed to be the king of Android and by the way things are looking you forgot that this is your custom made Google pure Android phone. 4.0.2 sucks and as of now I have been officially stuck with it for a couple of months.Please get you act together and start providing updates because of now 4.0.2 is the only official version for GSM and it's ****!

you know what a cluster bomb that a new OS on moto phones/tablets is going to be? are you aware of moto's horrid track record of poor software on all their 4g LTE phones (notably the bionic)? if you want pure entertainment, visit the moto droid forums after people get the ICS update-it's going to be hilarious :D

how much you want to bet that when the GN get's it's update, it'll be FAR less buggy and problematic that any moto phone.

gernerttl

Reaction score
Eh?

Wow Google you suck!
This phone was supposed to be the king of Android and by the way things are looking you forgot that this is your custom made Google pure Android phone. 4.0.2 sucks and as of now I have been officially stuck with it for a couple of months.Please get you act together and start providing updates because of now 4.0.2 is the only official version for GSM and it's ****!

You must have a different version of 4.0.2 than I do. Sure there are a couple things that could be better. But all in all, I'm having no issues, and it is a whole heck of a lot better than my Fascinate, and I liked my Fascinate a lot.

sbenson

Silver Member
Reaction score
You must have a different version of 4.0.2 than I do. Sure there are a couple things that could be better. But all in all, I'm having no issues, and it is a whole heck of a lot better than my Fascinate, and I liked my Fascinate a lot.

He's whining about the GMS Nexus. He's not a Verizon user.