Unroot/Back to Stock (2.2) Without .sbf or RSD Lite - Droid 1 Only

ClumsyNinja21

Premium Member
Premium Member
Developer
Reaction score
Sometimes the updates will not install if there are some of the 'stock' apps missing. We had that problem WAY back in the early days, and that is why it was suggested to rename the .apk to .bak instead of just removing them. That way if a failure happened, renaming bak to .apk allowed the update to install.

Thought that was dx only....??

Sent from my DROIDX using DroidForums

ClumsyNinja21

Premium Member
Premium Member
Developer
Reaction score
OK. Quick question. I rooted my Droid 1, currently running stock 2.2.1, FRG83D. Somewhere along the line I got fed up with having Quickoffice, so I deleted it using the Titanium Backup program. Along comes a new OTA, FRG83G, and I'd like to install it, but naturally that won't work, since I'm rooted.

So I unrooted, using SuperOneClick (same way I rooted), received the OTA again, but it wouldn't take. Presumably, that's because I removed Quickoffice, and now the checksum isn't correct.

If I unroot and flash the stock FRG22D update.zip, will I get Quickoffice back so I can update to FRG83G through the OTA (or otherwise)? I'd like to do that, if only to stop those annoying OTA reminders.

Yes, I've tried Googling my way to an already written answer, but obviously I haven't been successful. Thanks in advance for any input!

I read this as he simply unrooted but failed to remove cw which blocked the ota. Am I drunk or just dumb today? :p

ClumsyNinja21

Premium Member
Premium Member
Developer
Reaction score
Ok so i'm not drunk or dumb? Lol. I'm distracted as Im finishing up my very first from source og rom....

ClumsyNinja21

Premium Member
Premium Member
Developer
Reaction score
I read this as he simply unrooted but failed to remove cw which blocked the ota. Am I drunk or just dumb today? :p

By cw, do you mean the Clockwork Mod recovery file? Yes, indeed, you're right. Didn't do that. That's what's screwing me up?

Yes. Cw(clockworkmod) and any custom recovery will block the ota. You can flash the frg22d master ota, which will unroot/install stock recovery, the ota's will then auto download after you factory reset, then simply follow this guide to reroot and add sprecovery.

skeezicks

Reaction score
By cw, do you mean the Clockwork Mod recovery file? Yes, indeed, you're right. Didn't do that. That's what's screwing me up?

Yes. Cw(clockworkmod) and any custom recovery will block the ota. You can flash the frg22d master ota, which will unroot/install stock recovery, the ota's will then auto download after you factory reset, then simply follow this guide to reroot and add sprecovery.

Oish. Sure. And I thought it was the fact that I'd deleted Quickoffice. Looks like I'm the one who's stupid today. Or is that drunk?

Thanks!

ClumsyNinja21

Premium Member
Premium Member
Developer
Reaction score
Ha! You're not stupid! That's why I just say I'm drunk even tho I don't drink! Lol :)

skeezicks

Reaction score
Ha! You're not stupid! That's why I just say I'm drunk even tho I don't drink! Lol :)

Oh. Then I am drunk! That's good to know! :) . Thing is, this all turns out to be moot. The micro-USB connector on my Droid is all screwed up, and I can't connect it to my computer. Long story, but it's all bent out of shape, and most power supplies won't work with it. It'll be another 2 months before I can upgrade at a discounted price, and since I'd rather remain rooted than receive the latest OTA update, I'll just put up with that nagging reminder. What a pain. :icon_evil:

ClumsyNinja21

Premium Member
Premium Member
Developer
Reaction score
I could possibly help u with that...

ClumsyNinja21

Premium Member
Premium Member
Developer
Reaction score
Take the latest rooted frg83g zip (anyone will work) on your pc. Open the zip, find the build.prop under system. Then modify your build.prop fingerprint and system version to match the latest build.prop. At least it should trick the server into thinking you already have the latest fingerprint and cease with the update notifications... in theory. Without a usb port I think your options are limited. ;)

skeezicks

Reaction score
Take the latest rooted frg83g zip (anyone will work) on your pc. Open the zip, find the build.prop under system. Then modify your build.prop fingerprint and system version to match the latest build.prop. At least it should trick the server into thinking you already have the latest fingerprint and cease with the update notifications... in theory. Without a usb port I think your options are limited. ;)

Should it matter that the frg83g zip file I inspect is rooted? Wouldn't any legit file do? Also, I see a build.prop file in my /system directory. What can I use to edit it? Astro doesn't seem to have that capacity.

Again, thanks!

ClumsyNinja21

Premium Member
Premium Member
Developer
Reaction score
Any current build.prop will work for reference.
Use root explorer to navigate to your system file. Then long press on build.prop, select open im text editor, then edit it to show what is on the current build prop.

Droidisthefuture

Reaction score
HElp

So I've tried 3x to follow through this. My Droid quit recognizing the battery, so I'm plugged into the wall (with a worn out usb port) and trying to get this taken care of in the next 5 days so I can mail a "stock" phone back to Verizon. Is there anyone I could call to talk through this for me? I think the problem is that my phone is still running off of frg01. Thanks

teddyearp

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Motorola Razr 5g Rooted
The question is why did your droid stop recognizing the battery? Were you trying another method to root and/or unroot your phone? What brought you to this point? Why do you now need to return your phone?

Please provide us with some more details, as the symptoms you posted have in my experience been related to using old and outdated files to try to root your droid; to be specific, using the SPRecovery_ESE81.sbf file with RSD Lite to root a A855 phone that is NOT running ESE81, which you admit that your phone is (or was) running FRG01.