What issues have you experienced with Droid Eris?

mac6324

Reaction score
Wife has an Eris.... First phone was o.k. until the 2.1 update came around. After the update phone was freezing on a daily basis, only a battery pull would reset it. Got an Eris replacement (phone # 2). While on vacation the homescreen would go all the way to the left. It was fun to watch, push the home button and it would return to the center screen and then slide all the way to the far left screen. And when it was charged it would slide all the way to the left homescreen and would not budge. A new phone was sent to our home since the Verizon store did not have any in stock. Phone # 3 was working until recently until the homescreen slide to the left started again and the charging USB chord had to be held in a precised position or the phone would not charge. We are now on Eris # 4. Verizon refuses to do anything other than give us another crappy Eris. The most frustrating experience ever. They refuse to admit that the Eris is junk. We were told there is another software update to fix all the problems which made me laugh. She was offered an LG Ally as a replacement which is a downgrade. I have the Droid 1 and have had ZERO problems. I am a huge believer in Motorola products and now would probably never buy another HTC product. Very disappointed in Verizon support also. I used to think that people who had stories like this either made this up or were not made for a smart phone, but after this experience I am a believer. At what point does Verizon say enough is enough? Apparently going through this many phones and wasting your day and spending more time setting up your phone again and again is o.k. I pay my bill every month, I expect a solid product for my money.

Shiano

Reaction score
A bit of lag here and there.

Hangs up on some apps [not forceclose, just excessive response lag] and I have to walk away from it for a couple of minutes while it 'sorts itself out'.

The keyboard could use some real refining. Even though I hate Apple, I will give credit where credit is due: I never mistype when I have to use my bosses i*hone nor is there ever any key lag that seems to be ingrained in my Eris.

I hate the battery life being a crap shoot where on some days it lasts 10 hours before it's in the Orange and others it seems to only last 6 (same usage of apps/functions/etc). I've noticed that the shorter days are the ones that it hangs up and lags more.

>>> >>> Small video issue that's a bit annoying <<< <<<

In an area where my Samsung Flipshot, Samsung Rogue, and even 5 years ago my LG VX4600 got 4-5 bars of service, my Eris only gets 1 bar, sometimes 2.*

Had I known about these ahead of time:
Would I have gotten an Eris?
No.
Would I still have gotten a Droid?
Yes. I don't like rotten fruit. It's poisonous to your brain.

LoneWolfArcher

Silver Member
Reaction score
Got to love the MotoDroid people commenting here. ROFL

I love my Eris. I haven't experience the issues noted. And I paid 1/4 of the cost as you MotoDroid people.

miasmata423

Reaction score

I love my Eris. I haven't experience the issues noted. And I paid 1/4 of the cost as you MotoDroid people.

Good for you. Did you have anything to add to this, or just to try and bash Droid owners? Get out of the thread if you have nothing to add.

We also experienced the "stuck at left home screen" issue for a while. It wasn't too, too bad, except when it would refuse to launch the app drawer or pull down the notification bar. Made it kinda hard to read emails and txts and stuff.

On the 5th Eris, and this one is working so far. But we've only had it for one evening. This may seem odd, but we may have traced it down to sending picture messages without a subject or message. When my wife would send those, her phone would puke and people would get the message, but it would never download and display (would continually get "message could not be downloaded" issue).

The newest phone was having some issues, but we did a factory data reset and told her not to send MMS's without a message, and the MMS's are working fine and her phone hasn't just horribly puked since we did the reset and instituted that policy.

I'm keeping my fingers crossed to say the least. I offered to pay the delta in price between the Eris and the Incredible, but they didn't go for it. I'll really push harder for a new phone if this one goes south. Having a brand-spanking new newborn at home with my wife not having the ability to call me for over a week now to have me run errands, come home and help her out, share the cute pictures she's taking, etc has me at my boiling point. Talk about stressful and feeling helpless knowing that because of the Eris my wife couldn't call me in case of emergency with our newborn; we went out and bought a pre-paid as a backup because we have no faith in the phone actually working. Absolutely unacceptable.

raethryn

Reaction score

Oh look a happy Eris user who decided to troll other users. How new and perfect for you. It's nice that you love your Eris. It's nice you seem to be the rare user who has no problems. It's nice you are bragging about saving money.

*twirls finger for you* Now back to reality. People are having lots of Eris issues besides you. Thank you and have a nice day.

LoneWolfArcher

Silver Member
Reaction score

Oh look a happy Eris user who decided to troll other users. How new and perfect for you. It's nice that you love your Eris. It's nice you seem to be the rare user who has no problems. It's nice you are bragging about saving money.

*twirls finger for you* Now back to reality. People are having lots of Eris issues besides you. Thank you and have a nice day.

Actually, it isn't just me. It is several people I know. Several at work, my wife, two friends from church. Yes we experienced some problems after the 2.1 update but never enough to make us hate the phone, and we were able to work out most of the kinks. Feel free to use the search capabilities of this site to see that my experience with the Eris is far from perfect, but not the complete hate-fest many MotoDroid users seem to like make it be.

I just find it funny that we get a thread like this and so many people with MotoDroid's seem to be the first ones in here to bash the Eris. Most claiming to be posting on behalf of a spouse that hates the phone so much that they don't seem to bother posting for themselves. :icon_rolleyes:

vallejo74

Reaction score
i've had all the issues you guys are saying and wondering what the heck can i do to stop it. i tried erasing some of the apps i was'nt using as i figured maybe they are eating up memeory and slowing the phone down. did'nt work.

posey46

Reaction score
I haven't found anything that works yet. Pretty much, I sucked it up and replace the apps that disappear on a regular basis or turn the phone off completely and turn it on again. Sorry I don't have any words of wisdom for you. I am jealous of all of the people who haven't had any issues. I would love for my phone to do what it is supposed to without major issues. I will be more cautious when picking my next phone. I hope HTC gets things going so I can stick with them but Motorola is looking better every day.
And for the record, raethryn is my spouse. He just hadn't seen that I posted on here.

raethryn

Reaction score
Actually, it isn't just me. It is several people I know. Several at work, my wife, two friends from church. Yes we experienced some problems after the 2.1 update but never enough to make us hate the phone, and we were able to work out most of the kinks. Feel free to use the search capabilities of this site to see that my experience with the Eris is far from perfect, but not the complete hate-fest many MotoDroid users seem to like make it be.

I just find it funny that we get a thread like this and so many people with MotoDroid's seem to be the first ones in here to bash the Eris. Most claiming to be posting on behalf of a spouse that hates the phone so much that they don't seem to bother posting for themselves. :icon_rolleyes:

You are right. I prefer the motodroid and have one. However, posey46 in this thread is my wife and has the claimed Eris and posted herself.

Oops. Yer still just trolling the thread. And listen besides her I know 4 others who already switched from the Eris because of similar issues. Maybe I'll get them to post.

LoneWolfArcher

Silver Member
Reaction score

You are right. I prefer the motodroid and have one. However, posey46 in this thread is my wife and has the claimed Eris and posted herself.

Oops. Yer still just trolling the thread. And listen besides her I know 4 others who already switched from the Eris because of similar issues. Maybe I'll get them to post.

I am trolling a thread. You are trolling an entire message board. You win.

wkwaggoner

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
droid turbo 2
....since the 2.1 update my wife's eris is terrible....drops calls, dials on it's own, freezes, can't move screen, bluetooth connects but no sound, takes battery pulls to get it working again....did factory resets many times....works for a while, then can't make a call, zero reception, no response to keyboard....went to VZW store....sending her another one but i'm refusing the delivery since I have to pay $15.00 to send the old one back....I've read all the posts and it isn't a user issue and she needs her phone for work many times at different hours so I contacted VZW for help....got the standard, no upgrade, you signed thing....but then after all that was spelled out, they allowed me to purchace her a droid incredible at a reduced cost which should arrive next week....not happy I had to pay more than the upgrade price, but happy just the same that I could get one for a reduced full retail price....know other people with the DI and they aren't having issues, and she likes light handsets so the D1 was not an option and the DX is too large in her opinion....VZW did me right in all reality....and last, was not an option to change carriers to get a 4g....live in NJ and they DO NOT RULE THE AIR....something happened that we'll find out down the line with the eris 2.1 update....whatever, it's over....

raethryn

Reaction score
Wk -

How did you get them to get you an Incredible at reduced? You can PM me instead as we have an Eris doing much similar things!

Raethryn