General review, complaints, and info

The only thing I'm kinda irked at is the price. Isn't the inspire 4g on att only $100? It has just about the same specs, why are we paying double the price? And it even has native HTC hub support right out of the box.

Sent from my ADR6400L using Tapatalk

At least you didn't have to pay full price like I did ... $599.99...ouch! :)

How do you use the video call feature

Does anyone know how to video call using only native phone item's? Or do you have to Skype?

The battery life is pretty good on my phone but I did have my first issue with my phone this morning.

I left home to go out to breakfast and not far down the road I lost my data network. I was able to make phone calls but not connect to any data. I pulled the battery and that didn't help. I did not get my 4g back till I got back home. I did not have any data, not even 3g.

Any thoughts?

regular sype will not allow those, you have to be connected to a wifi spot to use regular sykpe for even the voice calls now, but once sykpe mobile is ready then you will be ok if they make it work.

Pretty sure it's a Skype only capability. VZW hasn't released the mobile video update for it yet. My guess is they are getting LTE ready for the traffic and don't want to rush into launching it.

It's not native but if u really want to video chat you can download yahoo messenger and the plug in from the market and it will let you video chat you just have to make a yahoo messenger name

Download tango

Sent from my Droid using DroidForums App

internet question

When I press the home button does my internet connection already close? I'm new to this and knew when I had my blackberry I had to select close but I cant find a close button on here

Found a 4G toggle widget that works

I've been using this for awhile its called switch pro widget, but if you add the data connection(it will say 3G) to the widget an uncheck it, it will turn 4G Off. Now I know its not a switch to go back an forth between 3G an 4G but at least its a quick switch until they release an update.

Sent from my ADR6400L using DroidForums App

Last edited:
I agree with Shus. Do not necessarily think it was a fail, but close.

Personally, I would wait for the Bionic or Targa.

I got the TB on launch day and was impressed, but it quickly wore off. Returned it this afternoon and reactivated my old D1. Here's why:

Signal - No 4g in my area yet, but 3g became a little spotty. I even saw 1x in Lowe's, which never happened with my D1. Moto makes the best radio, period.

Call Quality - It is hard to describe how they sounded. It's like there wasn't enough bass in their voice. Callers even said it was hard to understand me.
Related to the RF issue, both parties voice broke up...while being stationary in my living room.
Also, background noise is bad. The TB doesn't cancel it out good at all. (Moto excels here)

Screen - I thought with it being a new phone, the screen would be amazing. I was really wrong. Pics I copied from my D1 were not as clear on the TB. Even pics from the internet were somewhat grainy with some contrast issues. Droid X screen is much clearer.

Notifications - My D1 is rooted and I have installed more ROM'S than I can count. With that said, I have never not gotten gTalk, gmail, SMS/MMS notifications on my D1 like the TB did. The LED just didn't work half the time. I had to reboot a few times so that MMS msgs would come through. gTalk and gmail simply didn't deliver most if the time either. It was nice using gTalk today on my D1. Maybe it was my TB, but gTalk was pretty much unusable - I couldn't trust it.

Photos - Picasa cannot be sync'd. You can upload directly to it, but you cannot view pictures in the native HTC gallery.

Battery Life - Sure, it's a hog. I am a heavy user anyway, so I kind of expected it to use quite a bit. It will use some juice.

Speed - It is fast, but not earth shattering. Sense seems to only move so fast anyway. My D1 is oc'd to 1.1ghz. Also, it doesn't matter how fast the processor is if the memory only charges/discharges at a set rate. The TB has standard memory...so there has to be some kind of speed hindrance even with a 2nd Gen Snapdragon. The Bionic should definitely show some respectable numbers here...with DDR2 memory. This with a dual core processor might be the right combination.

Keyboard - Swype does not come preinstalled. I have the beta Swype, but like it better when it's an OEM option (Like on recent Motorola's).

Anyway, IMO, if one is in a 3g area, the X is a superior handset. Hold out for the Bionic to get a little larger cell phone evolutionary leap than what the TB brings to the table. I don't feel that that the TB is enough of anything to even justify using a 1yr contract upgrade. Save your upgrade for something more than primarily a 4g radio.

Sent from my Droid using DroidForums App

I've been using this for awhile its called switch pro widget, but if you add the data connection(it will say 3G) to the widget an uncheck it, it will turn 4G Off. Now I know its not a switch to go back an forth between 3G an 4G but at least its a quick switch until they release an update.

Sent from my ADR6400L using DroidForums App

There are a lot of apps out there that will turn the data connection off like this one does. I use Quick Settings which controls Wifi, Bluetooth, etc and will also shut off the data connection. I think what most people want to do is toggle back and forth between 4G and 3G without losing the data connection entirely. Still not an app out there that does this (surprisingly). Until there is one, going into phone settings and switching the network selection is the only way.

This thread is turning into a in a hurry. Don't get me wrong, there is alot of good info to be read; it just needs to be broken into sections. It's terribly hard to self-educate, unless you've been following this thread religiously -which I have not. :icon_eek:

Last edited by a moderator:
How do you learn what everything means?!

I love my TB, today is day 4, but am getting increasingly frustrated by the lack of info on what each option does/means. I feel ignorant, this is my first smartphone, and I have no clue what things like wi-fi sleep policy means, how do I know what to choose? Is there a place besides googling every.single.time to find out what things mean? The manual doesn't even begin to reference any of this, or mobile network/connect to internet, how do I know when to check uncheck?

Can anyone give me some direction?

haven't used tango yet (probably try it out later today), but yahoo messenger works pretty good on 3g and on wifi.....

I love my TB, today is day 4, but am getting increasingly frustrated by the lack of info on what each option does/means. I feel ignorant, this is my first smartphone, and I have no clue what things like wi-fi sleep policy means, how do I know what to choose? Is there a place besides googling every.single.time to find out what things mean? The manual doesn't even begin to reference any of this, or mobile network/connect to internet, how do I know when to check uncheck?

Can anyone give me some direction?

This may or may not help you a bit:

http://www.droidforums.net/forum/re...-dummies-guide-android-terminoligy-lingo.html

For example on the wifi sleep, do you want your wifi to go to sleep when your screen goes dark. I say no to that because I want my wifi to handle any data that comes in quickly, as apposed to 3G. Now if you are in 4G area, maybe you do want it off but I believe that 4G uses more battery then wife.

There is a lot to learn about this phone. I'm going to move you into a thread where there are a lot of questions and answers. Not saying to read the whole thread but just take a look around.

Back