General review, complaints, and info

I disagree - I think he is spot on about a number things I've noticed too.

- Build Quality: My first one was fine but had 2 dead pixels. Waiting for replacement.

- HTC Keyboard is sloppy. Had a couple of problems typing as well as on the Dinc (when plugged in, even not it wasn't as responsive) and there is no added space after selecting a word. Hard to believe that was missed.

- The resolution is "OK" but sad considering that HTCs other releases within 2 months will have (a) higher resolution screen and (b) much higher capacity battery.

- Screen quality outdoors... impossible to see. Even auto mode is just barely visible, not nearly as good as the Dinc.

- Audio is fine on calls. Almost no audio recording video. Did anyone test it?

- Battery - 1400mAh is a problem. One wonders what HTC was thinking when last year's EVO had a 1500mAh battery inside.

I love the speed of 4G and the Snapdragon is an improvement, for sure. But it everyone dropped the ball on this phone, VZW and HTC with many bugs out of the box, wrong specs too,etc.

Makes you wonder - how seriously would VZW have taken this if it was an iPhone?

Adding to the above I did a hard factory reset, still no fix. Next replace the sim...

Sent from my ADR6400L using DroidForums App

like some on here, I am still getting 3g issues in addition to signal issues in general. I do not live in a 4g area, and I'm wondering if i should just find a used d1 to hold me over until later this summer. I want to keep the unlimited 4g data though, so not sure what to do... The signal issues is seriously getting worse though. Data cutting in and out, 3g dropping, three dropped calls last night in a 15 minute period. Maybe motorola is a better option. Everybody with verizon phones here at work get 3-4 bars, and my tb struggles to hold onto one bar. If I am going to return the phone I have to do so by tomorrow...

like some on here, I am still getting 3g issues in addition to signal issues in general. I do not live in a 4g area, and I'm wondering if i should just find a used d1 to hold me over until later this summer. I want to keep the unlimited 4g data though, so not sure what to do... The signal issues is seriously getting worse though. Data cutting in and out, 3g dropping, three dropped calls last night in a 15 minute period. Maybe motorola is a better option. Everybody with verizon phones here at work get 3-4 bars, and my tb struggles to hold onto one bar. If I am going to return the phone I have to do so by tomorrow...

Watch out, they'll attack you for having an honest opinion... they must protect their sacred cow!!! My 3g dropped on two seperate TB's I think it either has a death grip or just a crap antenna.

There are some people blatantly lying on the TBs behalf, I understand that you are defending your purchases.... I just don't understand why, do you guys have HTC shares?? There is NO WAY possible to get "a day and a half" out of the TB unless it is sitting in a corner without being used in airplane mode... the screen is washed out also, the original D1 is sharper.

I don't care if you believe what I'm saying, I am the voice of reason when it comes to the TB!!

Sent from my Droid using DroidForums App

You know the TB uses an update "version" of Verizon's 3G - one that uses voice & data at the same time. Not to add fuel to the fire, but I know they weren't advertising that because it wasn't tested thoroughly yet. It, technically, shouldn't have any affect on actually keeping a 3G signal... but one has to wonder, b/c it has to be built into the chipset on the phone for it to work - and it is on the TB.

Watch out, they'll attack you for having an honest opinion... they must protect their sacred cow!!! My 3g dropped on two seperate TB's I think it either has a death grip or just a crap antenna.

There are some people blatantly lying on the TBs behalf, I understand that you are defending your purchases.... I just don't understand why, do you guys have HTC shares?? There is NO WAY possible to get "a day and a half" out of the TB unless it is sitting in a corner without being used in airplane mode... the screen is washed out also, the original D1 is sharper.

I don't care if you believe what I'm saying, I am the voice of reason when it comes to the TB!!

My first day on the TB I got almost 20 full hours, and about 15 of those were on 4G. Yes, it was relatively light use, but 30 to 35 hours on 3G only would be feasible in my mind - again with light use. A lot of that depends on how strong the signal is where you're located.

As far as the screen on the D1 being sharper, could it be b/c it's a smaller screen with a similar or higher resolution? Just guessing on that one... not trying to apologize for it either, just trying to keep it balanced.

I agree with you guys. I have had a few issues with my signal, but there are several other things that bother me about this phone

1. The charger and headset placement is poor and its difficult to text in portrait mode while charging

2. The keyboard is terrible, I know there are other keyboards on the market that can do what I want them to do, but I like the stock keyboard layout on this phone, but you cant type fast on it AT ALL

3. Sound quality is sub-par

4. The GPS cant locate me accurately most of the time

5. The screen resolution is not as good as my D1

I do love the camera on this phone, it is far superior to Motorola and the battery is absolutely no big deal for me, and quite frankly tired of seeing posts about it, but I'm kinda on the fence. I thought about returning it for a DX with a 1-year agreement and waiting till something better comes out but I dont know.

I agree with you guys. I have had a few issues with my signal, but there are several other things that bother me about this phone

1. The charger and headset placement is poor and its difficult to text in portrait mode while charging

2. The keyboard is terrible, I know there are other keyboards on the market that can do what I want them to do, but I like the stock keyboard layout on this phone, but you cant type fast on it AT ALL

I do love the camera on this phone, it is far superior to Motorola and the battery is absolutely no big deal for me, and quite frankly tired of seeing posts about it, but I'm kinda on the fence. I thought about returning it for a DX with a 1-year agreement and waiting till something better comes out but I dont know.

Make the return and wait! The Bionic is right around the corner and it will be the real deal.

though the final solution on this post has been mentioned before, the explanation is interesting and seems to make some sense:

No 3G

This I do agree with also lol I'm at work now and I go from 4G to nothing not even 1x then back to 4G

You know the TB uses an update "version" of Verizon's 3G - one that uses voice & data at the same time. Not to add fuel to the fire, but I know they weren't advertising that because it wasn't tested thoroughly yet. It, technically, shouldn't have any affect on actually keeping a 3G signal... but one has to wonder, b/c it has to be built into the chipset on the phone for it to work - and it is on the TB.
Matter fact now that I think about it I have yet seen my phone go into 3g in 3 days I always have 4G but my building at work has serious reception problem with any device.

Don't do it man the dx is a hunk of junk and MOTO make sub par phones in my book. Other than the d1 look where they would be at with out it.. bankrupt prolly...if you ask me this phone blows away the dx in every catagory. And HTC backs there phones better than any other company out there there!. yea MAYBE the binic will be good but look how crappy the atrix is and that's what it is pretty much a port of the atrix .

Don't do it man the dx is a hunk of junk and MOTO make sub par phones in my book. Other than the d1 look where they would be at with out it.. bankrupt prolly...if you ask me this phone blows away the dx in every catagory. And HTC backs there phones better than any other company out there there!. yea MAYBE the binic will be good but look how crappy the atrix is and that's what it is pretty much a port of the atrix .

Oh come on the droid x isn't that bad I enjoy my phone. Different strokes for different folks I guess.

Oh come on the droid x isn't that bad I enjoy my phone. Different strokes for different folks I guess.
haha totaly agree cuz i hate it and after using this tbolt it just even feels weird now lol hey one thing i can say is moto does update there devices htc and moto for device support.... i just hate moto and have had nothing but problems with them and used a DX for about a month and it would lag and freeze and reboot NONSTOP

Battery problems, what?

So, as of last Friday, I was getting 8+ hours on my TBolt for my "normal use" business day. My setup was:

• Screen Brightness 30%
  • Exchange email account on Stock app, set to Push
  • Touchdown App setup for work Exchange account set to Push
  • Single POP email box set to Poll 15 minutes
  • 3G Connectivity at work 8hrs. (full strength), WiFi at home as I only get ~half 3G signal.
  • News, Friend Stream, Email, Touchdown, and HTC Weather Clock Widgets.
  • Screen Timeout set to 2 minutes.
  • "Still frame" wallpaper with darker color scheme

I receive crazy amounts of emails throughout the day, a few text messages, and make/take a few 15 minute phone calls as well. I was honestly happy with my ~9 hours of uptime on a single charge. (Of course my VZW account mgr with an iPhone 4 was rubbing it in my face with her crazy uptime, so I had to do something about it, lol)

Decided to take the plunge for the first time ever and Root the TBolt. Since I have an IT background with some Linux experience, I did it the manual way on Friday evening.

Saturday I saw an increase in uptime, about 2 hours, though much of that was likely due to less traffic on the weekends. Saturday night I decided to take it a step further and remove some bloatware. Dumped the following APKs:

• Blockbuster
  • CityID
  • HTC Stock Widget
  • Flicker
  • HTC Twitter (I use Twidroyd)
  • Kindle
  • Slacker Radio
  • VCast
  • VzNav (Why would they include that on an Android with Google Maps/Nav and expect us to pay?)
  • BitBop
  • Golf Game (wow, that's a huge APK)
  • Rhapsody
  • Rock Band

Sunday I saw a lot of improvement, was getting closer to 14 hours. Sunday is usually a lot softer use though. Using my Battery Left app, I created a new profile for Monday's use.

It is now Midnight here on the East Coast. I took my standard battery off the charger at 7:30am. My phone just notified me that there is 10% life left on the battery.

Battery Left estimates the life of my battery is now 17:40 (it is still a moderate estimate as it has not fully calibrated). I wonder what my extended battery will say now!

:bling:

Back