Getting that android Os percentage down

bsmith0731

Reaction score
Suggestions?

What do you recommend??

I'm running stock...

Anyone else running stock that has mastered this??

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using DroidForums

Some people have reported that changing the radio file helps. I haven't tried it, but I'm considering rooting etc.

My Xoom just got the 4.0.3 update and the Android OS percentage and time is way, way less. So i'm really hoping the 4.0.3 ota update fixes this. I heard there is an update coming in January, but no real specifics.

I'm on my third nexus. Finally I am getting good battery life. Currently at 7 hours with 54%. I just checked the os has used 17% not great but lower than the other 2 phones I had.
One thing I did notice is my radio is I515.10 instead of .09
I can't remember how to do a screen shot or I would have added them

As noted in a lot threads on a lot of forums, there are some phones that have a problem with the Android OS and the "Keep Awake" time. There seems to be an issue with some phones not truly going to sleep when the power button is used to turn off the screen as opposed to letting the screen turn off automatically when the screen times out. This results in a very high time in the Settings/Battery/Android OS/Keep Awake menu.

In stock form and with every rom that I have installed, my "Keep Awake" time was always about 50-60% of my total battery time. If the phone had been off charger for 8 hours, I'd have 4-6 hours of Andorid OS "Keep Awake" time. This was true even if the phone had been in my pocket unused and seems to be exacerbated by my habit of turning the screen off manually with the power button every single time. I used to never let the screen timeout.

There seems to be two "fixes" according to Franco (of kernel fame). One concerns the camera. Seems the camera is started and then turned off during startup. But in so doing, it leaves a sensor active and this prevents the phone from actually going to sleep. So he recommends starting and using the back button to go back to the home screen. The other is DRM Protected Content. He recommends this be disabled or frozen. A third, that I don't believe I recall seeing him recommend but that I have seen on his thread at XDA (down for blackout right now) is to disable Maps.

I have done all three of those and my Keep Awake time has gone from 40-50% of my total battery time down to a few percentage points. I mean if I don't use my phone it will now show less than a minute of Keep Awake time per hour.

Good luck
[FONT=&quot][/FONT]

As noted in a lot threads on a lot of forums, there are some phones that have a problem with the Android OS and the "Keep Awake" time. There seems to be an issue with some phones not truly going to sleep when the power button is used to turn off the screen as opposed to letting the screen turn off automatically when the screen times out. This results in a very high time in the Settings/Battery/Android OS/Keep Awake menu.

In stock form and with every rom that I have installed, my "Keep Awake" time was always about 50-60% of my total battery time. If the phone had been off charger for 8 hours, I'd have 4-6 hours of Andorid OS "Keep Awake" time. This was true even if the phone had been in my pocket unused and seems to be exacerbated by my habit of turning the screen off manually with the power button every single time. I used to never let the screen timeout.

There seems to be two "fixes" according to Franco (of kernel fame). One concerns the camera. Seems the camera is started and then turned off during startup. But in so doing, it leaves a sensor active and this prevents the phone from actually going to sleep. So he recommends starting and using the back button to go back to the home screen. The other is DRM Protected Content. He recommends this be disabled or frozen. A third, that I don't believe I recall seeing him recommend but that I have seen on his thread at XDA (down for blackout right now) is to disable Maps.

I have done all three of those and my Keep Awake time has gone from 40-50% of my total battery time down to a few percentage points. I mean if I don't use my phone it will now show less than a minute of Keep Awake time per hour.

Good luck

Thanks for your Suggestions...

Not sure I can completely disable Maps... as I am a Tour bus Driver... and I rely on that very heavily!

The other 2 you have mention Bayou, i have disabled!

Nealius.. What is your reasoning that you tell Verizon why you need a new phone? Just curious so I could possibly use the same excuse...

Wookie, how is 4.0.3 on the Xoom?

I bought my phone thru a premier retailer if Verizon first reason it was showing the mgr my 4 hour battery life. My os was thru the roof. 2nd phone was the next with massive dropped calls I swapped to a rezound for less than a day. It was doing a reboot loop. Finally on my 13 th day I got this nexus
I had to use a bit of force and remind them I am the customer I just hope this one is the one

A third, that I don't believe I recall seeing him recommend but that I have seen on his thread at XDA (down for blackout right now) is to disable Maps
[FONT=&quot][/FONT]

How do you go about disabling maps in stock? It only gives me an option to uninstall updates.

How do you go about disabling maps in stock? It only gives me an option to uninstall updates.

I force stop maps but it seem to start running again - not sure why.

uninstall updates first then the button will change to disable.

And the 4th option would be to let your phone time-out on its own (i.e., don't use the power button to turn off the screen). I did this for a few days and it does fix the problem. Seems like a much better option to me than to disable Maps (which seems like you're disabling a prime feature of all smartphones).

Make sure you are not signed in to latitude. This will cause Google maps to run.

And the 4th option would be to let your phone time-out on its own (i.e., don't use the power button to turn off the screen). I did this for a few days and it does fix the problem. Seems like a much better option to me than to disable Maps (which seems like you're disabling a prime feature of all smartphones).

You are so right about letting the phone timeout. I can't believe I left off the main fix.

Well, I think you will find that there are a lot of folks that never use the stock map app. I don't. I use Navigon.

Good luck.

Back