Google's new standalone Messenger App now available in the Play Store

Wow, thanks! I TOTALLY missed that announcement!

I'm not 100% sure I followed your question though -- as I read the post, I understood it to mean: in the past only SMS (text) messaging worked on GV for Verizon customers (using your GV number of course) but now GV users can also send MMS (esp. image) messages using GV. I think you read it a bit differently...sounds like you're interpreting it as: now you can set GV to use your cell number instead of your GV number -- but I'm not sure that's not the case.

Either way, I do a good chunk of my communicating through the Hangouts app, which is configured to use my GV number for texts and calling. Admittedly, friends who text me are a little confused..."Wait, you have ONE number that I call and ANOTHER number that I text?" but they eventually figure it out. Yeah, you might wonder: why don't I just put my cell number aside and have everyone use my GV number? It's a long story...

-Matt
You're right... I lumped MMS & SMS together. I didn't realize that MMS wasn't possible through GV previously on Verizon... even if you had a dedicated GV#. My goal is to dump my Verizon Texting Plan, and use GV with unlimited free texting. However, I would like to keep my Verizon# for texting, since that's the number friends and family already use. The more I read into it though, it sounds as though this can only be achieved by porting my Verizon# to GV...

These articles are old, but gave me a better understanding of the process...

Google Voice Number Porting Pros and Cons TechHive

Should I Port My Number to Google Voice

Yep, you're right. Porting is the way to keep the number. Sounds like now you're ahead of me by a few steps, so let me ask the next question! The advantage of porting your number to GV is you consolidate calling, texts, and voicemails (don't forget GV has a cool free voicemail-to-text function) in one convenient place. However, by moving your number I assume you'll either need to cancel your VZW account, or somehow keep the account while swapping in a new number for it (which you'll then not actually use). Is that your sense as well?

-Matt

That's exactly the way I understand it. This is from the first link I posted above...

"Once you port your existing mobile number into Google Voice, your current mobile service plan will be cancelled. You'll have to call your carrier and get it to restart your service and assign a new number to your phone (even though you won't be giving that number out, it still has to exist -- otherwise, your phone won't work and Google Voice won't have anywhere to actually forward your calls)."

Also...

"If you're in the middle of a contract with your carrier, that means you'll probably be charged an early termination fee -- and those things ain't cheap."

What is the advantage of using Google voice for SMS/MMS over traditional texting?? I do love using it for voice mail but I don't see the point for texting

So I am using Google Messenger. How can I use a secondary number with it? I also am looking to get rid of text messaging fees from Verizon

So I am using Google Messenger. How can I use a secondary number with it? I also am looking to get rid of text messaging fees from Verizon
I don't believe you can. You would need to use a number NOT associated with your Verizon account with Google Voice or Hangouts... or port your Verizon number over to Google Voice, and get a new "dummy number" with Verizon.

I like Hangouts but I have like 6 of them dedicated to Ingress. I don't want my txt messages mixed in with that.
I WANT a dedicated SMS app. Am I old school?

And Re: this is becoming like Facebook Messenger comments. #don'tunderstand
Hangouts already does everything that app does. Messenger is already FB's answer to Hangouts. FB trying not to get left out in the cold here.

Last edited:
I like Hangouts but I have like 6 of them dedicated to Ingress. I don't want my txt messages mixed in with that.
I WANT a dedicated SMS app. Am I old school?

And Re: this is becoming like Facebook Messenger comments. #don'tunderstand
Hangouts already does everything that app does. Messenger is already FB's answer to Hangouts. FB trying not to get left out in the cold here.
Facebook's Messenger actually had sms capability before hangouts (maybe only in beta, but it was there), but I see your point with the rest of your comment.

I would love an app to integrate standard SMS and FB messenger to the same inbox.

Sent from my VS980 4G using Tapatalk 2

I would love an app to integrate standard SMS and FB messenger to the same inbox.

Download facebook messenger friend. It does just that.

Sent from my Note 4

I went back to hangouts. Like to jeep things consolidated, but I can see where it'd be handy for others.

Sent from my Note 4
I like mine to be separated. I do not like hangouts and sms together.

Sent from my GNote4 using Tapatalk!

I have it. How do I set it up?

That's a very good question. I've used it since it was in beta, but only for fb messages.

It asks if you'd like to use it for sms when you first set it up, but I'm not seeing an option to do so.

I'm guessing you could sign out and back in & it'd ask. Might have to clear data and cache though. Strange there isn't an option to turn it on or off like hangouts does.

Sent from my Note 4

Back