How to root a Droid X (worked for me)

Worked great....and super straight forward. Loving wireless tether already.

Sent from my DROIDX using DroidForums App

Yup, Z4root deserves beer money. I used an older z4root and just had to enable usb debugging. Friggen awesome APP. Then get some bootstraps by kouch and flash some ROMs, he he. 12 steps? he he......

Downloading now, I'll let you know how it works. I'm on 2.2 so hopefully it'll work out, and if it does, this post was extremely helpful! :) Thanks again :D

Rooted with Z4 last night, worked like a charm, no battery pull needed.

For those looking to remove bloatware (and not spend the $$$ on Titanium Pro) there is another way... Just rename the extensions on the files from apk to bak. You will have to download another file manager that will allow you to mount the drive (Root Explorer is what I use, costs $2) Long press on the file, then choose rename. This way you still have the file, but since the extension isn't what the system is looking for, it ignores it. But I agree, Titanium Pro is the fastest & simplest way to go ( I have that too) especially if you are restoring all your apps after a ROM change...quick & easy

OK....please please correct me if i am wrong.

I have just upgraded from a D1 to the X. I had root on the D1 and ran UD (which was awesome). Anyway, All i want is wireless tether. That being said.....all i have to do is????

Use z4root to root and download "android wireless tether"? I have no need yet for a custom rom. So i do not need to strap the bootloader. Is this correct?

Thanks in advance

You are correct! You don't need a ROM/Bootstrap to simply dl'd Wireless Tether :)

OK....please please correct me if i am wrong.

I have just upgraded from a D1 to the X. I had root on the D1 and ran UD (which was awesome). Anyway, All i want is wireless tether. That being said.....all i have to do is????

Use z4root to root and download "android wireless tether"? I have no need yet for a custom rom. So i do not need to strap the bootloader. Is this correct?

Thanks in advance

Sent from my Droid using DroidForums App

Correct me possibly. Slightly nervous

OK, so I'm starting to get the idea of how this works, but correct me if i"m wrong.

I have to root first before I download and install Titanium Backup. It needs root access correct. Where will it backup the files to? Can I back everything up on a file on my laptop or should I have an extra micro sd card and Backup stuff there, then put a new card in?

Next, freezing apps using Titanium Backup, will they still appear in my list of apps, just not work until I defrost freeze them?

I've read I'll still get notice of up dates but I'll have to unroot to update, then reroot again correct?

I'd like to get rid of the bloatware and not have to keep killing apps using ATK. If I'm correct, freezing them will cut down on my use of ATK correct?

I'd also like the use of tethering when I'm in remote areas and need my laptop.

I know this seems like a lot but everything I read says do your research so I'm trying and learning. You guys do a great job, Thanks in advance.
Garydancedroid

@ Grolson,

Yes you have to be rooted to use Titanium Backup.
It will put the backups on your SD card (no need to get a new one). & you can back it up on your laptop if you so desire.

When you freeze apps in TB, they will NOT appear in your app drawer.

Yes you will need to un-root to get the updates from VZ. Yet another reason to run a custom ROM,
when the devs upgrade their roms, you usually get the VZ upgrade as well.

As for using ATK, there are 2 schools of thought on this, that you should kill the apps and the other is
leave everything alone (unless there is a problem) as the OS handles memory usage far better than any Win
OS does. I used to use ATK all the time, like after exiting the browser (I was worried about data usage) but
in reading on these forums, I don't even bother with ATK anymore.

And not for nothing, I recommend making a backup of your system as soon as you gain root. Even if you have absolutely NO plans to load new roms & such. I'm a belt & suspenders kind of guy, can never have too much protection.

As for rooting, the first 2 times I rooted (had to remove root to upgrade) I did it the old fashioned way, typing commands into Terminal Emulator. This AM (after recovering my phone from bricking it) I used z4root. In all honesty, I could have typed in the commands just as fast as z4 did the job b/c I had to run it about 4~5 times with a battery pull each time. But I'm rooted & have my rom re-installed thanks to Clockwork Recovery, Droid X Bootstrapper & my constant need to create backups.:)

Wow, terminal emulators, Bootstrappers, & Clockwork Recoveries, Oh MY.

4-5 times, I was just getting close to rooting, now I'm nervous again...

Gotta think about this now...

nothing to be nervous about, I was just commenting that it was a pain in the a$$ to have to keep re-trying z4root. The most important thing is that, in the end, it worked!! And the times it didn't, NOTHING was affected by the attempt.

once you root, you'll want the Bootstrapper... to make the Nandroid backup. Then, since you have a backup, you start killing the bloatware and realize the potential of the phone and wonder, what if it never had the bloatware on it to begin with. BEHOLD! Custom ROMS!!!!

Back