How to root a Droid X (worked for me)

totally different animal. Bootstrapper allows you to make nandroid copies of your phone (basically everything on it, settings, numbers, screen layouts etc.).
Titanium is just for apps & the data as it pertains to each app.

For an example, yesterday I foolishly tried to install a new rom, but didn't make sure my battery was sufficiently charged. Long story short, I locked my phone up solid, wouldn't boot, turned it into a temporary paperweight. Thanks to folks on this and other forums, I was able to flash an SBF (one of the buzz words I'm sure you've come across) and get my phone back to an operational state. Then all I had to do was re-root my phone, download Bootstrap Recovery (well worth the $2 and once you buy it, you can d/l it from the market forever) and then restore one of my backups. Within 3 minutes (literally) of gaining root, my phone was back to normal with nothing lost. THAT'S why I recommend making the backups, even if you are just going to remove bloatware (you never know when you'll drop your X in a toilet or something):icon_ lala: You can remove the SDcard & then restore your new phone to what the old one was!

OK, now I'm a little more confident. Thanks for the guide, thats going to be a big help. I'm sure I'll have more but you've been a big help. I have some home work to do now with the reading and such but I'm closer.
Thanks so much.
Garydancedroid:)

titanium backup

i just rooted my my droid X, i had it for a a day nd quickly realized there is a bunch of useless crap running.. im about to download the titanium backup, but im no sure what programs i should be freezing? HELP!
thnx

@ Grolson, Not a problem.

@ Nizmo,

this link is a guide to removing bloatware & the second post tells you what you can & cannot remove. One note, in order to freeze apps, you have to purchase the Titanium Backup Pro key. another program well worth the money. I guess it helps to include the link... http://www.droidforums.net/forum/droid-x-hacks/62427-how-remove-bloatware.html

Thanks for your comments RK. Does anyone know why Ti pro is recommended? I currently have the regular version. Is pro an absolute must?

The free version won't let you freeze anything.

@ Nizmo,

this link is a guide to removing bloatware & the second post tells you what you can & cannot remove. One note, in order to freeze apps, you have to purchase the Titanium Backup Pro key. another program well worth the money. I guess it helps to include the link... http://www.droidforums.net/forum/droid-x-hacks/62427-how-remove-bloatware.html

Thanks for your comments RK. Does anyone know why Ti pro is recommended? I currently have the regular version. Is pro an absolute must?

DroidForums Junkie!!

@ Nizmo,

this link is a guide to removing bloatware & the second post tells you what you can & cannot remove. One note, in order to freeze apps, you have to purchase the Titanium Backup Pro key...

Supporting the people that make great apps is a must.

Does usb debugging need to be checked when rooting with z4root.1.3.0?

Sent from my DROIDX using DroidForums App

Yes.

I just rooted my phone and had to check it.

I had to uncheck debugging to access the SD card via USB once it was complete. (Laptop OS is Ubuntu.)

I had to reboot and reinstall a couple of times. On the third install it worked perfectly

Thanks

Just rooted using this method, and it took maybe all of 5 minutes from beginning to end! :yr1:
Now, if I can just decide on a ROM...:D

Now can z4 root unroot? I was rooted and rom'ed, then backed up to do the update then developed a screen issue that from what I've heard is covered and you get a replacement. Only problem is I still have the superuser icon in my app drawer although I no longer have root so I need to get rid of it. Reading other posts I see I have to root again to remove it with terminal emulator. So just wondering if z4 would be the quickest way.

Back