HTC EVO 3D vs Thunderbolt

Even with Sprint's mediocre service the first evo was a game changer with the big screen and the "4G". Now its doing it again... Which would you choose the slightly upgraded clone or something revolutionary?

Sent from my Droid using DroidForums App

Actually I like to reiterate that statement. Don't get me wrong the Thunderbolt IS a milestone for Verizon. 1st phone to use its LTE service. In all honesty though, would you put this phone on par with the EVO or the first Droid on how they've changed the game for android
Seriously subtract the LTE features would you buy the phone on hardware alone?

Even with Sprint's mediocre service the first evo was a game changer with the big screen and the "4G". Now its doing it again... Which would you choose the slightly upgraded clone or something revolutionary?

Actually I like to reiterate that statement. Don't get me wrong the Thunderbolt IS a milestone for Verizon. 1st phone to use its LTE service. In all honesty though, would you put this phone on par with the EVO or the first Droid on how they've changed the game for android
Seriously subtract the LTE features would you buy the phone on hardware alone?

Would you buy the EVO 3D without WiMax?

This is my thunderbolt talking...

Sprints 4g cant penetrate buildings, and our's can. Thunderbolt FTW.

Interesting point you make there...
I have a problem in my building with Verizon. ATT has great reception in the middle of the building, but VZW drops to zero.

I called VZW one day, and they said CDMA signals have a hard time penetrating buildings, compared to GSM. She also tried to justify it by saying something about CDMA being more secure, its a tradeoff, etc. etc.

So is a 4G signal better at penetrating walls than a 3G signal?

LTE is not cdma

Sent from my ADR6400L using DroidForums

Sprints 4g cant penetrate buildings, and our's can. Thunderbolt FTW.

Interesting point you make there...
I have a problem in my building with Verizon. ATT has great reception in the middle of the building, but VZW drops to zero.

I called VZW one day, and they said CDMA signals have a hard time penetrating buildings, compared to GSM. She also tried to justify it by saying something about CDMA being more secure, its a tradeoff, etc. etc.

So is a 4G signal better at penetrating walls than a 3G signal?

LTE is not cdma

Exactly. LTE penetrates walls like crazy. A guy i work with has att and his 3g does penetrate really well
, but so does my 3g. Tmobile was horrible at penetrating. I only got edge with them.

To my understanding you can't take hd pictures or video unless your camera is 8mp so the hd on EVO must be for streaming only. I'll take thunderbolt. Plus Verizon 4g is faster.

5MP is higher resolution then 1080 HD, 1080 is about 3mp.

The Evo 3D absolutely slaps the Thunderbolt. Here is Verizon hyping up a rebranded EVO, a year old phone, and Sprint's getting a new version with dual core, more ram, a better screen, and to top it off 3D. It's really sad.

How exactly is it a re branded Evo with more RAM, more on board storage, a 4X larger memory card and a second generation processor in comparison?

Like a Porsche is a re branded Volkswagen with better brakes, better engine, better transmission..... :)

Last edited by a moderator:
Im

The Evo 3D absolutely ***** slaps the Thunderbolt. Here is Verizon hyping up a rebranded EVO, a year old phone, and Sprint's getting a new version with dual core, more ram, a better screen, and to top it off 3D. It's really sad.

How exactly is it a re branded Evo with more RAM, more on board storage, a 4X larger memory card and a second generation processor in comparison?

Like a Porsche is a re branded Volkswagen with better brakes, better engine, better transmission..... :)

I like that comparison lol

The Evo 3D absolutely slaps the Thunderbolt. Here is Verizon hyping up a rebranded EVO, a year old phone, and Sprint's getting a new version with dual core, more ram, a better screen, and to top it off 3D. It's really sad.

Nope, it's a terrible comparison. Just look at the performance difference between the two, it's practically zilch, and the Thunderbolt is almost a year newer.

If you wanted a better car comparison, just look at one of GM's rebadged messes. The Thunderbolt is closer to a Cadillac Cimmaron :rofl3: add some minor details, put a new badge on, IT'S A CADILLAC!

I have a friend that has a a regular EVO 4G and it's a good phone but I get faster speeds on 3G then he gets on 4G. When I showed him the speed test with LTE he about pooped his pants. I think it would be cool to have the 3D camera from the EVO 3D though.

I have had my TBolt since March 17 and at first I had alot of issues with power but now I easily get 1.5-2 days before I need to recharge the phone unless I use it for tethering out in the wild with no access to a plug. I use a 6 foot USB cable and bought one of these to use in my car:

Rocketfish™ - USB Vehicle Power Adapter - Black - RF-M357

I have a friend that has a a regular EVO 4G and it's a good phone but I get faster speeds on 3G then he gets on 4G. When I showed him the speed test with LTE he about pooped his pants.

Yea see that's it, when it comes to internet speed on a phone, I'm not a speed whore. When u switch between 4G and 3G and load up Google how much faster is the load time? .0125 secs faster? Most people are not gonna notice the extra speed of 4G because its bottlenecked by the phones hardware to begin with and doesn't necessarily mean u are gonna load pages faster then someone on 3G. I bet if LTE was available on this Droid web pages would load slower than your thunderbolt because of the hardware, but I could download a movie 10 mins though!
Anyways I'm waiting to see the phone to actually utilize LTE, I don't want to be that douchebag to be like "Hey, look at my latest speed test...yup..uh huh, go recycle that trash you call a phone."

Then I would have no friends lol

I have a friend that has a a regular EVO 4G and it's a good phone but I get faster speeds on 3G then he gets on 4G. When I showed him the speed test with LTE he about pooped his pants.

Yea see that's it, when it comes to internet speed on a phone, I'm not a speed whore. When u switch between 4G and 3G and load up Google how much faster is the load time? .0125 secs faster? Most people are not gonna notice the extra speed of 4G because its bottlenecked by the phones hardware to begin with and doesn't necessarily mean u are gonna load pages faster then someone on 3G. I bet if LTE was available on this Droid web pages would load slower than your thunderbolt because of the hardware, but I could download a movie 10 mins though!
Anyways I'm waiting to see the phone to actually utilize LTE, I don't want to be that douchebag to be like "Hey, look at my latest speed test...yup..uh huh, go recycle that trash you call a phone."

Then I would have no friends lol

When you were typing that... did you think that it made sense? I don't think that anyone is really buying an LTE phone to improve web page loading time... I don't think I have seen a single advertisement that says "BUY and LTE device cuz it loads web pages like awesome!"... The real difference is downloading large files or uploading a video, etc.

Personally, I bought it for faster speeds when tethering. It's literally twice as fast as my cable internet speed and since I am a web developer I do alot of uploading. I can upload at around 100k/sec with cable... compare that with 700-800k/sec when tethered.

Another great feature of the LTE phones (on Verizon anyway) is that I can now use the internet while I am on the phone... so when I get a call any downloads or uploads are not interrupted. AT&T has had that capability forever but their network SUCKS here... so it's nice to have that ability on Verizon now.

Another benefit of the faster speed is that I can listen to a 128k radio stream and browse facebook or the web or whatever. I can't do that on my Droid because there isn't enough bandwidth and the stream cuts out.

Exactly. LTE penetrates walls like crazy. A guy i work with has att and his 3g does penetrate really well
, but so does my 3g. Tmobile was horrible at penetrating. I only got edge with them.

Thats what she said

(sorry, couldn't resist)

Evo 3D vs Thunderbolt

Thats like asking, what would you rather drive... A Ferrari Enzo in the US (max speed limit = 70) or a Lamborghini Gallardo on the Autobahn?

Nobody is going to argue that the Gallardo is a better vehicle than the Enzo. Thats crazy talk. The Enzo is a fantastic piece of machinery, but you aren't going to be able to show off its true potential because of the speeds its limited to. The Gallardo is a great car in its own right, but take it on the Autobahn and it'll blow your mind.

I say thats a fair comparison between the Evo 3D on Sprint vs the TBolt on Verizon.

To my understanding you can't take hd pictures or video unless your camera is 8mp so the hd on EVO must be for streaming only. I'll take thunderbolt. Plus Verizon 4g is faster.

Lol! Rebranded or not, the Thunderbolt is on a more reliable network with a much faster 4G service, a 2nd generation procesor, better quality pictures, etc that is much better than the one in the Evo 4G. That type of stuff is to be expected when a new phone comes out, it should be better than the prior version that the manufacturer released. Also it wouldn't make since for Sprint to introduce a phone simliar to the Evo 4G that Sprint has had for a year. Verizon still has a ways to go to provide that reliable 4G stability that 3G has, but they are still ahead of the game when it comes to overall service reliability.

Back