i should be getting my Nexus today and i have a question..

I'm at this point too and I posted about it last night. I'm going to get my nexus in a couple hours, but I'm definitely going to be sitting on stock for a week or so to make sure my device doesn't need to be replaced for any technical reasons. After that, it's root time!

for sure dude..im just gathering up everything i need so i can be prepared to root..so what method do you plan on using?

Sent from my DROIDX using DroidForums

if everything works good on the first day there shouldnt be any reason for it to go bad on its own the 2nd day righ?..i just dont wanna run into one of those bad Nexuses out there that needs to be returned..im getting this phone with the intention of it working perfect with no issues the first time as well as keeping it..even after reading about the possible issues i could run into with the Nexus and i still want it..my heart is definitely in it for that phone..i cant wait to have it my possession..LoL

You know what I'm running into a lot? Bad headphone jacks, or should I say headphone jacks that go bad after a bit of use. For my GNex experience, I waited the whole two weeks to make sure everything worked before rooting. After I rooted, as we all know, it's a slippery slope and now I am running AOKP Milestone 2 along with I can't even remember which kernel (just joking, Franco 12, duh, who'd forget that).

In hindsight, that first few weeks running stock ICS ended up being a great thing. For one, from an end user perspective, the leap from GB to ICS is light years beyond the Froyo-GB jump. I actually really enjoyed ICS. I can honestly say that the battery life issue is the only thing that got me thinking of rooting.

Now that I've got a rockin setup where my battery is essentially bulletproof, though, I realize those battery-saving habits I developed during the first few weeks are still paying off. Leaving Wi-fi off until I actually have something to download, for example, helps. So does clicking the power button to shut the screen off manually every time I put the phone down.

Anyways. That is my longwinded explanation as to what worked for me, and why I'm glad I took the path I did. Hope you get your phone soon, man...let me be the first to say welcome to Team Awesome.

You know, I haven't quite decided yet. I'm not one if those people afraid of using command prompt, and I'm not worried about losing data when rooting... So I'm gonna go with whatever is most recommended. I may just root and stick with the stock Rom after its all said and done with... It looks pretty great from what I've seen.

You know what I'm running into a lot? Bad headphone jacks, or should I say headphone jacks that go bad after a bit of use. For my GNex experience, I waited the whole two weeks to make sure everything worked before rooting. After I rooted, as we all know, it's a slippery slope and now I am running AOKP Milestone 2 along with I can't even remember which kernel (just joking, Franco 12, duh, who'd forget that).

In hindsight, that first few weeks running stock ICS ended up being a great thing. For one, from an end user perspective, the leap from GB to ICS is light years beyond the Froyo-GB jump. I actually really enjoyed ICS. I can honestly say that the battery life issue is the only thing that got me thinking of rooting.

Now that I've got a rockin setup where my battery is essentially bulletproof, though, I realize those battery-saving habits I developed during the first few weeks are still paying off. Leaving Wi-fi off until I actually have something to download, for example, helps. So does clicking the power button to shut the screen off manually every time I put the phone down.

Anyways. That is my longwinded explanation as to what worked for me, and why I'm glad I took the path I did. Hope you get your phone soon, man...let me be the first to say welcome to Team Awesome.

LoL..thanks man..and im on my way to get my new toy as we speak..and yeah hopefully i dont run into any issues..itll be very upsetting if i have to take it back in a few days..we shall see..

Anyone else turn off face recognition unlock because you QUICKLY tire of having to see your ridiculous face every time you pick up your phone?? I did. Sleek, sexy device (modeled after a lotus petal, I read) and I have to look at my dumbass face every time I pick it up to use it. NO THANKS. It doesn't help that the feature really illustrates how much less dignified we are in reality versus how we imagine ourselves to be. Driving along thinking I'm looking pretty sweet and I pick up the phone to change songs and I realize I have a giant Sharpie smear up near my eye like a Bond villian eye scar. Dangit.

Possible, yes. Socially accepted, probably not ;)

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk

Yes, and in some states, with the new marriage laws, you could probably even tie the knot. And then one day hear the little vibrations of pagers running around the house. Watching them grow into beautiful feature phones and one day blossom into full adulthood and become GN2s.....

If you could only put up with all of the gossip from the neighbors......;)

I like the question and I did not read a single response (which I see are many).

The fact that you asked the question leads me to believe you WILL root. And since this is so... you will not last long on stock. You will probably end up like me where I was stock for about 3 days just to get used to it.

No need to worry about the trial period since you can always return to stock at any moment if you need to. I would just stay at stock long enough to get used to ICS and to determine if you are going to keep the phone. Other than that..... root here you come!

P.S. Any questions or help that you may need is readily available! Good luck and have fun!

Yes, and in some states, with the new marriage laws, you could probably even tie the knot. And then one day hear the little vibrations of pagers running around the house. Watching them grow into beautiful feature phones and one day blossom into full adulthood and become GN2s.....

If you could only put up with all of the gossip from the neighbors......;)

Just dont put'r in white. IMO , that is ugly! :D

I stayed locked for a little over 2 weeks. In hindsight I should of unlocked sooner because to the wipe.

Back