keyboard issue, shift key not working as is most punctuation

If that is set right and you still have problems, look in /system/usr/keylayout and make sure the omap4-keypad.kl file is owned by root.

How do you do that? None of the other suggestions have helped. My keyboard works fine everywhere except the browser.

Ohfercryinoutloud. My keyboard is odd too. Caps lock works fine, but basically the keyboard stays in capital mode for a second key press, and doesn't automatically revert to lower case. So I hit "shift", type the first letter of the word, hit shift again, type a letter (that will also be capitalized) then delete it and continue as normal. Well, until I have to hit the shift key again and the process repeats.

So, 1) am I missing something for making "default" the default keyboard? Right now under "Language & Input", under "Default", the first thing under default is "English (US) - Android keyboard (ASOP)". There are then 3 sub-categories: "Android keyboard (ASOP)" which is set to "English (US)", "Google voice typing", set to "Automatic", and SwiftKey which is just checked.

2) How do I confirm that omap4-keypad.kl file is owned by root? I can find it no problem, I don't see a way to confirm that root has it.

Criminy, this is without a doubt the most irritating issue I have had since starting to root Motorola flip phones in 2004.

Thanks all.

scroll down farther to 'physical keyboard' and you'll see 'omap4-keypad.' click on it, and a box will pop up that says 'default' and then 'set up keyboard layouts.' if 'default' is selected, you're good. if not, click 'set up keyboard layouts' and a list will pop up. uncheck whatever is checked, and that will make it revert to default.

Chrome updates uninstall worked for me

I found that uninstalling the updates to Google Chrome fixes this issue. I tried going a reboot and reset (what a pain!) but it still was acting up until I uninstalled the updates.

Strange that worked for me also. Just got updated to JB it kinda hit me by surprise and I clicked the button without meaning to. Here we go again I thought. My last unit did not do well going from GB to ICS and I had to send the unit back in after I could no longer stand it. Got back an ICS stock unit and surprised that Flash was gone and kicked to the curb like a bad habit. Just love all these surprises!

So yah reverting Chrome back to the factory version by uninstalling the updates click the menu button on the homescreen > manage apps > Installed apps find Chrome and open it. Click uninstall updates and confirm to revert the app back to the factory version. Now my shift key works like it did. Thanks goodness! This little flaw makes the most valuable part of the Droid 4 almost useless!

I hope it doesn't jack it up again when I go re-update chrome LOL!

This a problem that's been verified by a number of users. The inability to use shift without holding it down in Chrome has been present since ICS. This also means the SYM key has been useless.

A new physical quirk has been the inability to type ; (semicolon) or : (colon) when hitting shift+, or shift+. respectively in any app whatsoever. It just ends up typing the < and > symbols respectively. Current workaround has been to use the on-screen keyboard, which totally defeats the purpose of a Qwerty keyboard.

Now, if someone found a way to fix this mapping issue, then I'm all ears.

I've followed the Chrome uninstall procedure (uninstalled, rebooted, re-updated), as well as ensured my input is set up properly (as per Cylence's post), so I'm honestly out of options from here short of modifying system files to correct the issue. Honestly, it's something that should've been handled during the Soak. I do know it was reported during the Soak, but the decision to roll with the patch as is went on regardless. :(

This a problem that's been verified by a number of users. The inability to use shift without holding it down in Chrome has been present since ICS. This also means the SYM key has been useless.

A new physical quirk has been the inability to type ; (semicolon) or : (colon) when hitting shift+, or shift+. respectively in any app whatsoever. It just ends up typing the < and > symbols respectively. Current workaround has been to use the on-screen keyboard, which totally defeats the purpose of a Qwerty keyboard.

I did a factory reset, which cleared up the colon/semicolon problem, but didn't fix the shift/capslock/symbol problem that affects every browser I have except the still-primitive Firefox.

I did a factory reset, which cleared up the colon/semicolon problem, but didn't fix the shift/capslock/symbol problem that affects every browser I have except the still-primitive Firefox.

Thanks for the inadvertent tip! I installed Firefox and it works. Better than a new phone or using the virtual keyboard.

Disable chrome and shift button works

I have been having the same annoying problem with the shift key and the annoying thing is that a reboot seems to fix the problem . . . for a while. I couldn't figure out what was stopping it until I read your posts on Chrome. Then I realized it was whenever my phone asked me if I wanted ot use the browser or chrome to open a website.

I was going to remove the update, but realized that I didn't even have the update.

Since I cannot remove Chrome from the phone, I just disabled it.

So far . . . so good.

I've followed the Chrome uninstall procedure (uninstalled, rebooted, re-updated), as well as ensured my input is set up properly (as per Cylence's post), so I'm honestly out of options from here short of modifying system files to correct the issue. Honestly, it's something that should've been handled during the Soak. I do know it was reported during the Soak, but the decision to roll with the patch as is went on regardless. :(

Well for the record, I had chrome installed and updated to current on my ics rom, and shift worked fine in everything not just chrome. Then I updated to jb and had the issue with shift only but all else worked. Then I uninstalled the chrome updates and all was well with shift, and this was global throughout all apps not just restricted to chrome. In fact I don't even use chrome to be honest, never opened it once.

So I forgot to uncheck the box for autoupdate and five minutes later my shift had to be held down again. Realized what happened, turned off the autoupdate just for chrome and uninstalled the updates and was back to things working again. Have not had issues with any other keys so far. So far everything else seems to have upgraded smoothly. Weird bug but luckily I don't care since I don't use chrome.

Well for the record, I had chrome installed and updated to current on my ics rom, and shift worked fine in everything not just chrome. Then I updated to jb and had the issue with shift only but all else worked. Then I uninstalled the chrome updates and all was well with shift, and this was global throughout all apps not just restricted to chrome. In fact I don't even use chrome to be honest, never opened it once.

So I forgot to uncheck the box for autoupdate and five minutes later my shift had to be held down again. Realized what happened, turned off the autoupdate just for chrome and uninstalled the updates and was back to things working again. Have not had issues with any other keys so far. So far everything else seems to have upgraded smoothly. Weird bug but luckily I don't care since I don't use chrome.

Uninstaling the Chrome updates and disabling the the App Isnt the fix, i've done that and i'm still having bugs with the keyboard, mainly the onscreen one.. my shift key hasnt acted up, that ive noticed anyways.. but when I go to answer a text without sliding the keyboard out, the onscreen keyboard is in all caps insted of just capitalizing the first letter... verry annoying when your trying to type a quick response and it ends up in all caps

I have the same issue but mine is temperamental. Sometimes it works fine and other times, not so much. It seems to happen more when I'm using my browser and then won't work until I let the phone be for a few minutes or so even if I switch to another app.

And doing whatever with Chrome did not work for me. I don't even use Chrome so I had no updates to uninstall and I disabled the app. Same problem.

I disabled Chrome and the shift key behaves 90% of the time instead of only about 40% of the time. Good enough for me. :)

Hi, I am able to use the shift key, but my caps lock no longer works, and now my screen is flickering badly and the touch screen is so much less acurate than before. it really clumbsy now. i did not update my OS. the phone took it upon itself to update. I tried to stop it but the phone wouldn't allow it. i thought the last OS was just fine. I would like to go back. does anyone know how this is done. i need specific instructions on where to go and what to do.

I went into Settings>Apps>All>Chrome and disabled chrome. Fixed my keyboard issue completely. i couldn't get shift to work in handcent or m.facebook.com

Shift Key Problem

I noticed the shift key problem when trying to type a "?". It was primaraly when texting. I changed the AOSP to No Language(QWERTY) and and unchecked English(us) and now everything is working fine, even in Chrome. I have done nothing else. My caps lock seems to be working fine also. My only problem with 4.1.2 now is random restarts(another topic).

Back