moto droid 4 phone ear piece crackle/rattle

My replacement phone is starting to buzz in the speaker again on voice peaks.

If it gets a lot worse, I may be calling them again.

I also have the equipment here to investigate the cause of the issue if I have to.

I love the keyboard and 4G, but it appears they forgot to test ACTUAL PHONE CALLS with these things.

WTF.

Oddly enough, I only have this problem at this time... talking to Tmobile customers.

lol This happened to mine...It actually cleared itself right up
I'm still on my 1st DROID4

I've had the same exact issue and had my phone replaced (Currently on my 4th Droid 4). This is absolutely rediculous. My first one did this after a month, 2nd one exchanged in store...same deal after a month. Then got a refurbished through the mail, happened within 4 days, got my 2nd refurbished this past tuesday and it's working great thus far...let's hope it stays that way!

Looks like I'll possibly have to switch to the Razr max if this issue keeps happening. SUPER annoying!

..dunn dunn dunn..another one bites the dust.

Second Droid 4 and the speaker is dead again.. full volume and can BARELY hear it.
I don't really want a RAZR cause I do a LOT of remoting into Linux boxes via SSH and I like my full slider qwerty keyboard.

Guess I'm going back to VZW tomorrow morning again.

*EDIT*

This is going to sound REALLY freakin' weird I know. But other phones I found that if I blow on the earpiece a little bit it'll pop back into it's normal spot.
This didn't work on this phone. But if you suck REALLY hard on the earpiece, it pops back into place for a while. I know.. the creepy weird **** o meter just pegged, but if it helps someone, awesome.

Last edited:
someone said to adjust the phone from the audio having "bass boost" or "bass punch". That apparently has absolutley nothing to do with the speaker for in calls. I opened up the box for my 3rd phone... immediately had problems with this phone now. The keyboard backlighting doesn't work right. So I called Verizon's tech support, sure enough, speaker issues again.

..dunn dunn dunn..another one bites the dust.

Second Droid 4 and the speaker is dead again.. full volume and can BARELY hear it.
I don't really want a RAZR cause I do a LOT of remoting into Linux boxes via SSH and I like my full slider qwerty keyboard.

Guess I'm going back to VZW tomorrow morning again.

*EDIT*

This is going to sound REALLY freakin' weird I know. But other phones I found that if I blow on the earpiece a little bit it'll pop back into it's normal spot.
This didn't work on this phone. But if you suck REALLY hard on the earpiece, it pops back into place for a while. I know.. the creepy weird **** o meter just pegged, but if it helps someone, awesome.

I since my replacement started to hint that it was going to crackle again (light distortion) I did what you said and *LIGHTLY* sucked around the earpiece area while I was on the phone. That fixed the crackle to this date...

Too strange.

Verified, and then some.

Put your lips around the *AHEM* earpiece, and suck hard several times.

Fixed the issue, for now.

The harder you suck, the better the result. That's what she said.

-C

I finally gave up -- I went to a Razr. They unboxed one in store and listened to it and it was the same way. I'm done with the Droid 4. I loved everything about it, but as an actual phone it was frickin' useless. I totally miss the keyboard, but I have a small bluetooth keyboard on order that I'll try. Verizon and Motorola are reaaally testing my patience on this. One single dual core phone with keyboard and it's a piece of crap. End rant here...

With all of the people that bought this phone, there has to be SOMEONE who isn't having this speaker problem.

Hopefully this is just a localized problem with a batch.

This speaker problem can't be happening with EVERYONE, otherwise there would be a recall. Maybe.

I'm getting a replacement through Verizon.

I think everyone was hoping this thing was going to be as prolific as the OG Droid.

RIP OG Droid, your descendants have proven to be as of yet unworthy of your namesake.

At least the fastboot files are out.

Got my D4 the day it came out. Just started noticing a crackle noise on calls last night. I'm hoping it clears itself up. Two and half months with no issue and now this? I love this phone. I can't think of another phone I'd rather have.

Well... I've had the phone for exactly 2 months today. Just noticed the crackle in the earpiece last night and then morning.

Out of curiosity, how long is the Verizon warranty period on this phone?

i am on my third droid4..... is there ever going to be a fix for this? or will it be something we just have to deal with for the next two years? what about when the warranty ends, what do we do then?

i cant imagine that Verizon/Motorola would just let this slide without fixing it (would they?)

I just swapped from a Bionic with MANY issues to a CLNR Droid 4. I took it from the packaging it came it and I was floored at the AWFUL sound quality too. The earpiece sounded muffled and crackly. Much more than the Razr Maxx or the Bionic it replaced. The rear speaker however was the worse. HORRIFIC sound from it. Distortion (using normal non eq'ed settings) at medium volume. The phone carcass (shell of phone) rattles with the sounds that come over the speaker. Seems Motorola didn't care when they built the Droid 4. It's a far cry from the OG Droid which I had too. I'm gonna try to go back to the Bionic. I like the keyboard...but the speaker issues are something I can't live with since I use my phone 90% of the time for Internet Radio and music playback as well as (via root) Spirit (REAL) FM Radio.

Back