Next Gen Tegra from Nvidia Codenamed 'Kal-El' - Up to 5x Faster than Current Tegra 2

dgstorm

Editor in Chief
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
nvidia-kal-el.png

Nvidia shows off 'heroic' level powerhouse chips on the horizon at MWC, and shares their roadmap. The next chipset from Nvidia to replace the current Tegra 2 dual-core will be a quad-core chip codenamed, 'Kal-El' (after the Kryptonian name of Superman for those who don't know comic books). It's official name has not been confirmed as either Tegra 3 or Tegra 4.

Amazingly, not only does this chipset include a quad-core central processeor, but also includes a twelve core GPU as well! You read that correctly... 12 Cores for the GPU. To demonstrate this new tech, Nvidia streamed a 1440p video on a tablet PC, and simultaneously on a connected 30 inch LCD monitor at 2560 x 1600 resolution!

This new chipset, is scheduled to arrive as early as August for Android tablet PC's, and Christmas of this year for smartphones. In fact, their 'roadmap' indicates that by 2014 they will release their 'Stark' level chip that will be 75 times faster than the Tegra 2!

nvidia-tegra-roadmap.png

That's just insane if they can actually keep that pace. I'm beginning to wonder if some alien technology is slowly being doled out to us incrementally...

Source: AndroidPolice via NVIDIA

looks like soon i might be able to play crysis on my phone :icon_ banana:

If that chart is accurate, by the time I'm looking to upgrade from the TBolt there will be tablets/phones 20X or so more powful than a Core2Duo. That is friggen insane. I told my wife just the other day that within 5-10 years there will be no need for anything but a smartphone that docks into a KMV for most people.

If that chart is accurate, by the time I'm looking to upgrade from the TBolt there will be tablets/phones 20X or so more powful than a Core2Duo. That is friggen insane. I told my wife just the other day that within 5-10 years there will be no need for anything but a smartphone that docks into a KMV for most people.

I think that's clearly the direction....And then eventually the chips and processor get implanted in you, running off the body's electrical impulses, and then it's just a dummy phone that docks with you like everything else.:)

I think that's clearly the direction....And then eventually the chips and processor get implanted in you, running off the body's electrical impulses, and then it's just a dummy phone that docks with you like everything else.:)

OMG, NO! I don't wanna be a Borg! You can't make... me... ...

Resistance is futile.

I guess I'm the nerdiest nerd, since I'm apparently the first one to notice the interesting progression:

Superman, then Batman (Bruce Wayne), then Wolverine (James Howlett, aka Wolverine), then Iron Man (Tony Stark). Adamantium skeletons in 2013 and Iron Man armor in 2014!

I guess I'm the nerdiest nerd, since I'm apparently the first one to notice the interesting progression:

Superman, then Batman (Bruce Wayne), then Wolverine (James Howlett, aka Wolverine), then Iron Man (Tony Stark). Adamantium skeletons in 2013 and Iron Man armor in 2014!

I thought this was obvious.

I thought this was obvious.

Translation: "How did I miss that? Oh, well, I'd better pretend I saw it but was too cool to comment on it!"

They need to slow down I can't upgrade my phone every year at least not yet. Imagine how much these companies are making now. I remember when phones max cost was 250, now the are as much as the ps3 when it first came out 500.

"Nvidia streamed a 1440p video on a tablet PC..."

WAIT, WHAT? Why would they be promoting a screen of such resolutions already when there is no infrastructure to support it? Finding content at this resolution is extremely difficult. There is simply not going to be any 1440p programming broadcast, cablecast, satellitecast, or recorded on HD-DVD or BluRay content at all.

As I've read it, research suggests that at an AVERAGE VIEWING DISTANCE, you don't see the benefit of 720p over 576i (not 480i) until you get to screen sizes over 28", and that you don't see the benefit of 1080p over 720p until you get to 50", but we need 1440p on a freakin' tablet two feet from our faces? That's like giving a 3 year old a set of alphabet blocks constructed of pure rare gems. Just...why?

Back