Nice Burn Verizon

Status
Not open for further replies.
Its not just your droid 1 thats slow. Mine and my wifes is painfully slow. The home screen takes at least 30 seconds to draw the icons. The browser is so slow there's no difference between 3g and 1x The problem is it cant handle fryo. Before the updates it ran Ok but for the last year its just stupid slow. I'm so mad about it I will never buy another motorola or droid product. I only use mine for making calls I use my touch for everything else. I feel I got taken on a $600.00 phone.
Im bordering on getting to that point. Im trying to remember the good here and since installing Launcher Pro it isnt as bad but even so, whatever happened to the days when I didnt have these problems? Im beginning to think that other Droids will be like this as well and if so, maybe I should leave them be until theyre good and quick like they used to be. I also wanted to add, I have a friend that got his Droid shortly before me. His touch screen does whatever it wants. His keyboard doesnt work right and hes lost letters. His battery barely lasts a few hours. Think he said its dead in four hours, I might be wrong. He also cannot find a Droid that he wants right now. IMHO theres a horrible selection out ATM. So hes talked of getting a battery and waiting it out. Im trying to wait it out but patience is wearing thin.

Alright, here is my take.

Your problem isn't Android. The platform has nothing to do with your problems.

What are your problems?
I really wanted to quote your whole post but didnt to save space. Thats a very good post and Ill attempt to answer each part of it.

Okay, speed. Thing is, Im a busy guy. I know rooting takes only a few minutes but really, I have so many other things to worry about right now. I just dont want to be bothered with rooting. The man at Verizon suggested LauncherPro and that has sped things up but only slightly. Im waiting for it to go back to getting on my last nerve.

iPhone, few things. One, it has a few apps I want. Flipside, Im losing more than a few apps that I know and enjoy such as Handcent. This is why getting one is proving to be such a hard decision. I also messed with one in the store today and played Sonic The Hedgehog 4. I cant begin to tell you how much of a pain in the neck it is. This is the problem with having games that have touch screen controls, IMHO. The controls get in the way of gameplay. I shouldnt have my finger covering up some of the game. One thing I appreciated about my Droid was that I didnt have that problem but alas, instead I got serious cramps in my fingers. Cant win either way, phones arent really meant for gaming. Ive wanted an iPhone for some time and wanted to switch over many times. When it was on AT&T I wanted one, this is before I even came to Verizon, but I could tell even then that it was garbage. Even now I see people telling me all the time they cant get signals but this is AT&T. Im hoping its much better with Verizon. However, whereas the Droid will be updated in a few months and itll be out of style, Im not particularly sure itll be that way with the iPhone. I see many people still using 3G iPhones but few with Droid 1s. I just see the whole iOS as more reliable. Maybe Im wrong but I hope Im not.

Droid without a keyboard, I tried my mothers Fascinate for awhile and used Swype, its okay but I didnt like it that much. I tried out the Droid X way back when it came out, didnt like that either. Think they might be alittle too big for my tastes really, but also I just dont like the phones. Im only prepared to deal with all touch screen with an iPhone but any other phone, no.

The plans, yes, thats my gripe. Thats my main gripe and why I called this thread a 'burn'. That annoyed me then and annoys me even now. And the fact is this is something I have to just deal with. I looked around, I found an Android powered Sidekick running 4G on T-Mobile / AT&T. Guess what, only two year plans. Seems thats the norm nowadays so I better learn to work EBay or just deal with it. But sadly changing providers wont help anything.

Droid 2 Global, as I said, I just wanted the R2D2 and recall it didnt have the best of reviews. I didnt read them, I just saw the number of stars on the VerizonWireless website and kept going. I dont really have anything against it, I just dont particularly want it right now, especially for two years. Again, with this Droid acting stupid Im beginning to wonder, can I deal with another Droid doing that to me? This is why Im even skeptical about the R2D2. Im not trying to sign a contract for two years, have this thing be outdated in a week, because how long has the Droid 2 been out now, and be stuck in the same predicament I have here. That makes me thankful that Im stuck getting it off EBay because hopefully now Ill be able to snag one without a contract.

Ideally, Id have an iPhone 4G and Droid R2D2. I think this new month-to-month or two year contract thing is horrible and am very dismayed at the loss of the one year contract. Sadly nothing can be done about it. Im also dismayed at the lack of decent Android phones on the horizon. Sure I can wait but the more the phone messes up the angrier and more annoyed one gets.

So, what are you waiting for...go get that iPhone...then feel free to go to the iPhone forums and start some threads there crying about the lack of swappable batteries, no widget support, no increase in storage size without buying a new device, etc, etc etc....:)
Forgot about those points. Any others that put Droid on top? Come on, Im trying to make an educated decision here. I dont much consider it whining but what whiner would admit to it? However, Im not taking the blame for not being able to afford the phone when it came out. I didnt have it then, they wanted a crazy amount of money, think it was $500. I will, however, take the blame for not doing a one year contract as I had wanted originally. Thats 100% my fault.

Last edited:
Its not just rooting that would help with your lag issue, but installing cyanogenmod7 and overclocking your device will show a massive improvement in performance. And we're not even getting into tweaking system settings to match your needs and uses.

Ive heard this from a ton of people: The original droid is not dead, its just motorola and verizon who dont support it

Haha i agree with the "bodybagz"... but seriously rooted og Droid + miui gingerbread > iPhone IMO.

Sent from my OG Droid, fresh MIUI

NVash... you may or may not recognize me, but back in the day (like 1.5 years ago) we use to have a lot of good discussions on these forums. It'd be a shame to see you go to an iphone, but I can understand if you do. Thing is that android lags. No matter what one, it'll lag. Its not optimized for the hardware like the iphone is. Though it is admitingly much better than the D1 as you get faster. If your willing to still be on android though take a look at the Galaxy S2. If that thing doesn't make you excited then idk what will. Only downside to it is no keyboard. And just like you that's a big thing for me as well.

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk

The droid 2 global is frickin awesome....I dont have any lag. Any, seriously. Not overclocked, but rooted and on Fission 2.4.3.

Dont diss what you dont know son. User reviews are paltry at times, take a look at market apps and you'll see idiots complaining about an app not working on a phone that the description clearly states the app wont work on. Runaway sentence bear with me.

Give body bags the noble prize he just said what we were all thinking.

Droid R2D2 Verizon | eBay
Droid R2D2, its not even on EBay. Thats the one I really wanted. They have them on there but if you look youll see they require contracts. For how long they dont say. Either that or they have a bad ESN, are used, or are too much money. Im waiting for the used ones to skyrocket. Originally when I posted this thread all they had were Bad ESNs but I looked again to post this link.

Yeah don't know about that. I don't know if they even sold that many. They were pretty expensive. There are tons of D2s though

Wasn't verizon just blowing out the r2d2s for like 99 dollars just a couple weeks ago. You'd have to extend the contract though

I didn't read the reviews but what was wrong with the d2g? Its not that different then the d2 or the r2. The r2 used the same processor too

Sent from my DROID2

I just got a d2g as an upgrade to my original D1. The d2g is fast as hell, but has waaaaaaayyyyyyyy less rom support (basically there's like 2 options for roms).

But with one of these roms installed battery life and performance shoot through the roof. I've never had a phone this fast before.

Comin' atcha from my fission'ed d2g

Amen to that. Im waiting for GB to come out so I can compete with the life newly breathed into DX and D2s. The Fenom (froyo) rom is looking promising, scores 2000 on quadrant without stagefright apprently.

I just...dont get it. I get the feeling that OP will complain about anything without being proactive about it, sans buying or trying to weasel into a new phone. And then what? More complaining lol.

We all suggested rooting, roming and overclocking, the 3 fixes to almost any OG droid speed problem, and that was shot down. So what? I cant help you Nvash, i already threw the suggestion out there.

NVash... you may or may not recognize me, but back in the day (like 1.5 years ago) we use to have a lot of good discussions on these forums. It'd be a shame to see you go to an iphone, but I can understand if you do. Thing is that android lags. No matter what one, it'll lag. Its not optimized for the hardware like the iphone is. Though it is admitingly much better than the D1 as you get faster. If your willing to still be on android though take a look at the Galaxy S2. If that thing doesn't make you excited then idk what will. Only downside to it is no keyboard. And just like you that's a big thing for me as well.

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk
I vaguely remember those days. Thanks for the post, I can really appreciate one like this with information. I havent seen the Galaxy S2 yet, Ill take a look.

Amen to that. Im waiting for GB to come out so I can compete with the life newly breathed into DX and D2s. The Fenom (froyo) rom is looking promising, scores 2000 on quadrant without stagefright apprently.

I just...dont get it. I get the feeling that OP will complain about anything without being proactive about it, sans buying or trying to weasel into a new phone. And then what? More complaining lol.

We all suggested rooting, roming and overclocking, the 3 fixes to almost any OG droid speed problem, and that was shot down. So what? I cant help you Nvash, i already threw the suggestion out there.
Whats so wrong with complaining? Bottom line, I got a phone. I loved it for the first year. For the past year its been nothing but a pain in my behind. I dont want to root. Is there any other answer? Am I wrong for asking such a thing? The main reason Im even tempted with the iPhone is I dont have to jailbreak it to get it to run the way it should. Im not trying to bring out fanboys here, Im asking for simple unbiased opinions. It shouldnt matter that this is a Droid forum. Surely some people have had iPhones and can state the Pros and Cons just as some could do the same for Droid. And there has to be some other answer besides 'Root'.

Seriously, thats all thats been thrown my way. Im not trying to be insulting, cold or indifferent here but again, is there no other way? The man at Verizon turned me to Launcher Pro, that sped up my home screen slightly and I appreciate it a great deal. Now the trick is to figure out what new phone I want when I upgrade.

However, remember how I mentioned a friend earlier? Ive told him of this thread and hed like to root. Where can I point him for information on that?

Last edited:

Whats so wrong with complaining? Bottom line, I got a phone. I loved it for the first year. For the past year its been nothing but a pain in my behind. I dont want to root. Is there any other answer? Am I wrong for asking such a thing? The main reason Im even tempted with the iPhone is I dont have to jailbreak it to get it to run the way it should. Im not trying to bring out fanboys here, Im asking for simple unbiased opinions. It shouldnt matter that this is a Droid forum. Surely some people have had iPhones and can state the Pros and Cons just as some could do the same for Droid. And there has to be some other answer besides 'Root'.

Seriously, thats all thats been thrown my way. Im not trying to be insulting, cold or indifferent here but again, is there no other way? The man at Verizon turned me to Launcher Pro, that sped up my home screen slightly and I appreciate it a great deal. Now the trick is to figure out what new phone I want when I upgrade.

However, remember how I mentioned a friend earlier? Ive told him of this thread and hed like to root. Where can I point him for information on that?

well when the droid was first released.. it was the best option on verizon by far, and best option for people even not on verizon. We all know that technology advances so fast, so either you keep up and get new phones or deal with the one you have.

I don't like dealing, so, along with mostly everyone in this forum, I root and install roms.

I can respect that.

People just need to not get so frustrated with eachother. We're all here to help eachother. and point your friend to the forum for whatever phone he has. If he has a d2 tell him to PM me, I can help him out.

Ok...I`ll bite...and try to give some advice from my perspective...take it for what its worth..

You really only have 3 options at this point...
1) Keep your outdated D1, and take the advice that has already been offered, as well as encouraged, and root/ROM it to bring it back to life and extend that life to get you through until you can upgrade more affoably.

2) Bite the bullet and spend some coin on a comparable phone that meets the requirements you have...hardware keyboard, fast processor and as much RAM as you can get so that the OS is smooth and has low/No lag. To this end, your options are fairly limited...either a D2, D2G or the illustrious R2D2 D2...or maybe a Droid Pro, which I havent seen anyone so far mention as an option...forgive me if it was. I keep seeing where you dont want a non-hw KB, but if you can see yourself using an iPhone, I dont see why you couldnt jump on a Droid X...it has everything else you are looking for, as well as doing what the iPhone basically does, which is double as a portable MP3 player...with the added ability of expanding the SD memory...

3) Go get the iPhone...without the KB you say you have to have...except in the case of the iPhone because it has a "few" games you like which is enough to make you live without the KB....:icon_eek::icon_eek::icon_eek: <---That alone makes me sure you really dont want anything but the iPhone, and all other options are moot...

Again, and I am sure there are other DX users here who will back me up...there is nothing the iPhone does(discounting the FFC and video chat, features I really dont see a use for), that the DX cant do...but the iPhone cant say the same thing... The DX is also sporting a larger screen, which translates to it having a larger on-screen keyboard to type on...yet another thing the iPhone doesnt...but, you make the call.

You couldnt give me 2 iphone 4`s for my 1 DX...its just not a worthy deal IMHO...:)

Last edited:
Ok so I just switched from iPhone 4 to Droid. Here is my two cents. One, there are SOOOOO many features the droid has that, honestly, blows the Iphone out of the water. There is no "voice features" at all. If you want a GPS, that will set you back 50$ and then a monthly subscription. Droid is free. Notifications suck really bad, you are going to miss your notifications bar alot. The camera is pretty nice on the iPhone, but nothing too fancy. The screen is tiny and compared to other phones like the thunderbolt or droid x......just plain sad. I could go on and on but I wont. Point being, if you want nice apps, and an apple logo, get the iPhone.

Alright, I'll take another stab.

Don't... Don't go by reviews on vzw. I'm willing to bet that the majority of them are posted by people that are unhappy and want to vent while people that are happy are enjoying their phones in peace. For guidance, go to a forum for that phone and ask there. There you will get a more realistic cross section of users. Also, put that up against reviews by independent websites like engadget, which will compare the phone in the context of the total mobile market, across providers and platforms. This will give you a much better basis to go on.

Now about keyboards..

Physical keyboards are a tiny section of the market, for better or worse. There are no iphone with a physical kb. And very few androids per generation, for all providers. Manufacturers know you give up a lot of features for a physical kb -- form factor, dimensions, cost...and to keep those down they cut other hardware like screen size.

Input on iphone versus androids without physical kbs... You don't have the option of swype at all. Nor do you have swiftkey which is widely regarded as the best non-swype-style keyboard. From what I heard, it crushes keyboard options for the iphone.

Also, swype is weird... Really. It takes a shift in the way your brain processes words for entry. That doesn't happen in the three minutes you test it at the store. Commit to it, for at least a couple days. And then you will look back at your reticence and think, "Why did I ever doubt modisch."

Like I said, I came from an LG Envy, which has a physical keyboard, and I was torn over the D2 or DX. And when I first got the dx and started swyping, I thought, "Dammit, I should have gotten the d2.... Can I switch still?" But then, after a few days, swype clicked and I was faster and more confident on swype. And, as I said, my parents both bought d2's, because of the keyboard, and now wish they had dx's now that they've learned to swype. I kid you not, my mom said to me the other day that she doesn't even use the physical keyboard anymore.

That feature you are desperate for? Swype has rendered the physical keyboard on a sixty-something grandmother's phone vestigial and unused.

If you must have one, consider a miniature bluetooth keyboard for those few times you need one. There are numerous options for that, many that are no bigger than a droid kb. Ask around on the forums for recommendations for bt keyboards.

As for speed...

You have probably spent more time on hold with verizon trying to get a new phone than it would take to root and flash yours.

But, if you want a truly fast phone that will last a decent amount of time (obsolescence is a fact of gadgets and it will come for you even if you get an iphone)... the Samsung Galaxy S II is coming out on verizon in may. In benchmarks, it is more than 10x faster than an OG droid. It also has an unlocked bootloader so it can be modded more than a droid 2.... So you can put the best rom available on it and go even faster with less battery use. It is a beast.. I lust for it.

Again, the platform isn't your problem. The only problems you've expressed can either be fixed within the realm of Android options or won't be fixed with an iphone.

As said, there are a lot of features you give up with an iphone. An iphone is just an ipod touch that makes calls. Ask yourself, if your ipod touch had 3g, gps, and could make calls, would it completely satisfy you? Bearing in mind that an iphone will have less storage, cost more, and will have less battery life as it will also be drained by use as a phone or gps (and generally be used more).

Comparison of iOS devices:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_iOS_devices

The hardware features you lose going from android to iphone should be clear. Just dig at both your devices and see what is missing. No access to the battery. No sd card slot. You need a special adapter for everything since you don't have usb or hdmi.

Other platform features you lose... As mentioned, notifications. Rotation locking. Widgets, for God's sake. Actual folders. Mobile hotspot. Flash support. HD video.

An actual file tree... File explorer. Accessing the sd card or internal memory like an actual computer. That would drive me nuts. No app drawer. No homescreens. The iphone didn't get multitasking until the iphone 4. That's just an atrocity.

To me, an Android is a pocket-sized computer. The iphone is an ipod touch that makes calls. It may have been the first smash hit smartphone, but Android makes it look less smart.

I really think the iphone doesn't fix your problems. Your problems *can* be fixed with an android phone. The fix that takes the least effort? Get a Droid 2 Global. It will be faster than your current phone, have better battery life, and most likely eliminate your instability (which may be due to a faulty phone). Alternatively, ditch the keyboard requirementand get a dual core phone. Dual cores are faster and have better battery life.

Also, regarding battery life, you can get higher capacity after market batteries for an android... You can't easily do that for an iphone nor can you swap batteries on the fly.

Again, a long post but I think I addressed your concerns as well as I can.

-m

{ DroidX «» Liberty 2.0.1 «» TapaTalk }

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back