Not capitalizing the "i" when texting

I think that in this case you need to turn it on. Just tested it and that's what the issue is.

Right, but on my Droid 2 auto-replace was not required to perform the punctuation / capitalization corrections. It is designed to not require auto-replace turned on.

This is a Droid 4, which is different. I've noticed a lot of different setting for this then my Droid 1. I don't even remember if I had auto correct on my Droid 1 set. Even after I did a factory reset a month ago, I don't think I changed it, but that doesn't mean it wasn't automatically set.

Well, the auto-correct is not an option, so does anyone have an idea for a workaround?

There was an option in the settings for fixing commonly mistryped words for the virtual keyboard but not one for the physical keyboard. The only options for the physical keyboard are: Auto Replace(Unchecked), Auto Punctuate(checked) and Auto Cap(Checked). So, the "i" issued is fixed on the virtual keyboard by checking the Auto Replace option, but still not on the physical keyboard.

There was an option in the settings for fixing commonly mistryped words for the virtual keyboard but not one for the physical keyboard. The only options for the physical keyboard are: Auto Replace(Unchecked), Auto Punctuate(checked) and Auto Cap(Checked). So, the "i" issued is fixed on the virtual keyboard by checking the Auto Replace option, but still not on the physical keyboard.

I tested this last night and if you select auto replace, it will fix the capital "I" issue on the hardware keyboard. But, as explained it also replaces a lot of other words, that you may not want.

Those are the only features though.

Sent from the best 3G phone on Verizon.

The Auto Replace is more hassle than worth it in my opiion. I was just hoping there was a fix to the"i" issue without having to use the Auto Replace.

The whole reason I have a physical keyboard is so that I never have to use auto-correct, auto-fill, or any automatic typing features.
So why are you complaining about not getting automatic caps?

The Auto Replace is more hassle than worth it in my opiion. I was just hoping there was a fix to the"i" issue without having to use the Auto Replace.

I forgot to ask if you are using the multi-touch keyboard or the swype keyboard. Swype auto caps the i, the multi-touch keyboard doesn't on my phone.

I have the virtual keyboard correcting the "i" issue, but not the physical keyboard which I use 99% of the time for text messages.

In my physical keyboard settings, I have "Auto-replace" unchecked, and my physical keyboard auto-corrects i to I, even mid-sentence.

Auto-punctuate, and Auto-capitalize (the only other two settings for my physical keyboard) are both checked, if that helps.

Edit: quick test, out of the box (I haven't tweaked on-screen keyboard settings other than to enable Swype), like another poster, my stock keyboard doesn't auto-correct I, but swype does. But physical does and has since day 1, also without changing any settings.

Not exacly sure how Swype works since I have never used it. I D1 lasted three years and now the D4 I have had for 5 days now. Did a quick test and start a text meessage using the virutal keyboard which corrected the "i" issue. Within the same text message, I switched to the physical keyboard and the "i" issue was not corrected. Sounds like its an isue with the physical keyboard program?

Back