Real Life with the Nexus?

Jonas

Reaction score
It's that time of the year again. When I go running through the new phone threads, and try to make my choice on what I'm going to be upgrading to. So I have a few questions I hope you guys can answer, that haven't been answered, or that I couldn't find. First off, heres what I understand the problems to be with this phone. And please correct me if I am wrong! I understand there is a problem with dropped calls on SOME phones, but not all. I also understand there is some sort of discrepancy between the bars shown on the screen, and the actual signal the radio is receiving. It's a bit confusing, but I think I understand this is is also only plaguing some phones, not all.

My questions are as follows; I live a very active life style. Riding a motorcycle, running as a hobby, constantly outdoors, and I'll be joining the military soon. So I'm wondering, how rugged is this phone? I'm currently rocking a D2G, and I do try to keep it nice, but let's face it, drops happen. The D2G has not let me down yet, and Id like to find a phone just as resilient.

Secondly, I enjoy my music. A lot. So how is the sound quality on this phone? Both on speaker, and headphones. I'm not expecting studio quality music, but I would like a nice crisp sound while I run, or just sit back and listen.

Third, I have not seen much about it, but how are the ROMs on this phone? I looked through the ROMs sub-board, and there really isn't much going on. Is everything mostly in development, or is there just not much out for this phone yet?

If I have missed anything, please feel free to include it in your responses. Thanks for all your help!

P.S. I will be posting this same thread in the HTC Rezound board, and the Razr board. So If anyone here has had experience with either of those phones, please post a comparison! thanks!

I trade my Nexus for the Rezound. Mostly minor nits that will be fixed with software, but overall the phone was excellent. Perhaps a little large for an active lifestyle, but the 3 you are looking at are close enough in size for that not to be a factor.

Rezound has Beats audio, which offers deeper base (but you can get equalizer apps to do something similar), but they come with a $100 pair of wired headphones, which is nice too. I wouldn't care about sound quality thru the speakers, as far as music goes.

RAZR and Rezound both have removeable storage, if you have a lot of music (but you might also use cloud with Google Music, if you have an unlimited plan).

As far as calls, both the Rezound and Nexus were excellent. Both also have surprisingly good speakerphones, which have always been pretty pathetic for cell/smartphones.

I came from the OG droid, so if the D4 has the build quality of the previous version i would get the D4, or maybe the Razr; it felt nice and sturdy in hand. You can always get the Nexus and get the Otterbox Commuter and a strap for your arm for when youre running. The roms on this thing is crazy. Go to rootzwiki or xda; in my expierence, those have more activity in regards to devs and rom releases. I suggest you download Axi0m 2.4, best rom IMO. Due to things i have no idea about, he has deleted all posts, therefore, all DL links. If you want i can link you to my dropbox where i have it. The speaker on the Nexus isnt not that good. You could download volume+ to make it better though. The Rezound has a good speaker and the quality is nice also.

I trade my Nexus for the Rezound. Mostly minor nits that will be fixed with software, but overall the phone was excellent. Perhaps a little large for an active lifestyle, but the 3 you are looking at are close enough in size for that not to be a factor.

Rezound has Beats audio, which offers deeper base (but you can get equalizer apps to do something similar), but they come with a $100 pair of wired headphones, which is nice too. I wouldn't care about sound quality thru the speakers, as far as music goes.

RAZR and Rezound both have removeable storage, if you have a lot of music (but you might also use cloud with Google Music, if you have an unlimited plan).

As far as calls, both the Rezound and Nexus were excellent. Both also have surprisingly good speakerphones, which have always been pretty pathetic for cell/smartphones.

How could I forget the Nexus not having an SD slot. That might end up being a deal killer. Unless the Google cloud is pretty quick streaming. I want my music ALL the time, not just when I can get a good signal. I have somewhere around 13 GB of music just on my phone, because I only have a 16 GB card, so I rotate out what I am currently listening to. I do have an unlimited account, because my phone is on the same contract as a corporate business phone, so we have unlimited data, so that will not be a problem.

I really appreciate the comparison. How does the Rezound feel in terms of speed and data? I'm not into Facebook, but I do use Tumblr, and a few other smaller social apps, so data connectivity will be key for me.

Also, I am very "hacker" oriented. I am very interested in using ROMs on whichever phone I end up with.

On a side note, how are the headphones? I just purchased some Skullcandy headphones, and I am exceedingly pleased with the quality of headphone I just bought, I heard rumors that these headphones that came with the phone (the Rezound) were not legit Beats, but instead a knock-off mass produced headphone that was just printed with Beats logo. Meaning Beats was making a low end version of the headphone and passing them off as the same thing. I was not able to confirm or refute that rumor.

I came from the OG droid, so if the D4 has the build quality of the previous version i would get the D4. You can always get the Nexus and get the Otterbox Commuter and a strap for your arm for when youre running.

I usually hold my phone while running because the arm band thing just makes me feel weird. I'm just odd, I guess. Fortunately I have not dropped my phone while running, but thats a huge fear of mine, that I will drop it on the pavement, and shatter the screen. Otterbox has a horrid case for the D2G, and I've read similar for the D3. The reason is because it's a sliding phone, so the bottom and top just pop right off with little to no effort. They are good on phones like the Nexus and iPhone, because they do not slide, and thus the case is completely immobile.

Edit: Just read your edit, and I might have to check that out. The Rezound seems to be a media phone, which is more of my style, while this (the Nexus) seems to be a general phone, for the general public, that was made for ICS alone. I really hate to demean a phone to such simple terms, and please don't bash me for my ignorance. Just an outside looking in the window.

Your needs are a bit tough to tend to, since you say you're into Rom'ing, then you say you plan on abusing your phone and have 13gb of music and like to swap out SD cards to rotate your music.

Honestly, the Rezound is probably your best bet. I'd say it's the most durable of the three. The Razr's "durability" is really a gimmick as we've seen more cracked razr screens than all 3 phones and the Nexus isn't going to survive any decent fall because it's screen is so large you're bound to hit a corner at some point and shatter. The Rezound has the rubber like back, which I would think absorbs falls a bit better than the other two.

Beats audio is another gimmick, does nothing that an equalizer can't do.

The beats audio headphones are no better than normal decent headphones, so you'll probably use which ever fits your ears best.

The Rezound seems to have the best signal out of all three of the devices right now, I imagine the Nexus' signal will improve after the next radio update.

The Nexus will get a lot more dev/rom attention than any device in the next year because it's stock android and it's bootloader is unlocked, although the Rezound should see a little more attention now since it's bootloader has been unlocked.

Don't get me wrong I personally think the Nexus is the best phone overall, hence the reason I purchased it, but the Rezound seems to fit your needs better.

Know that the Rezound is a bit thicker than both of the other phones, but it feels quite nice in hand.

How could I forget the Nexus not having an SD slot. That might end up being a deal killer. Unless the Google cloud is pretty quick streaming. I want my music ALL the time, not just when I can get a good signal. I have somewhere around 13 GB of music just on my phone, because I only have a 16 GB card, so I rotate out what I am currently listening to. I do have an unlimited account, because my phone is on the same contract as a corporate business phone, so we have unlimited data, so that will not be a problem.

I really appreciate the comparison. How does the Rezound feel in terms of speed and data? I'm not into Facebook, but I do use Tumblr, and a few other smaller social apps, so data connectivity will be key for me.

Also, I am very "hacker" oriented. I am very interested in using ROMs on whichever phone I end up with.

On a side note, how are the headphones? I just purchased some Skullcandy headphones, and I am exceedingly pleased with the quality of headphone I just bought, I heard rumors that these headphones that came with the phone (the Rezound) were not legit Beats, but instead a knock-off mass produced headphone that was just printed with Beats logo. Meaning Beats was making a low end version of the headphone and passing them off as the same thing. I was not able to confirm or refute that rumor.

The google music is really quick, its awesome. even though it doesnt have a SD slot, remember that it comes with 32gb flash storage, which is faster. 32gb, for me, is plenty of room(granted i dont have 13gb of music, but still.) that still leaves you with 15gb of free storage. this phone will always have the best dev support... period. the sound quality on the Rezounds headphones are very nice IMO. im not a audiophile by any means, but you can hear a difference. You said you are a runner so i assume you sweat... a lot. when i run with theese things they ALWAYS fall out. the "rounded-ness" of the earbuds dont work well IMO.

Your needs are a bit tough to tend to, since you say you're into Rom'ing, then you say you plan on abusing your phone and have 13gb of music and like to swap out SD cards to rotate your music.

Honestly, the Rezound is probably your best bet. I'd say it's the most durable of the three. The Razr's "durability" is really a gimmick as we've seen more cracked razr screens than all 3 phones and the Nexus isn't going to survive any decent fall because it's screen is so large you're bound to hit a corner at some point and shatter. The Rezound has the rubber like back, which I would think absorbs falls a bit better than the other two.

Beats audio is another gimmick, does nothing that an equalizer can't do.

The beats audio headphones are no better than normal decent headphones, so you'll probably use which ever fits your ears best.

The Rezound seems to have the best signal out of all three of the devices right now, I imagine the Nexus' signal will improve after the next radio update.

The Nexus will get a lot more dev/rom attention than any device in the next year because it's stock android and it's bootloader is unlocked, although the Rezound should see a little more attention now since it's bootloader has been unlocked.

Don't get me wrong I personally think the Nexus is the best phone overall, hence the reason I purchased it, but the Rezound seems to fit your needs better.

Know that the Rezound is a bit thicker than both of the other phones, but it feels quite nice in hand.

Thank you, I appriciate your in-depth and detailed response. I am starting to lean more towards the Rezound now. Do you know anything about the cases for the Nexus? I primarily interested in what Otterbox has to offer, since I have used their product before and was pleased with the product.

The google music is really quick, its awesome. even though it doesnt have a SD slot, remember that it comes with 32gb flash storage, which is faster. 32gb, for me, is plenty of room(granted i dont have 13gb of music, but still.) that still leaves you with 15gb of free storage. this phone will always have the best dev support... period. the sound quality on the Rezounds headphones are very nice IMO. im not a audiophile by any means, but you can hear a difference. You said you are a runner so i assume you sweat... a lot. when i run with theese things they ALWAYS fall out. the "rounded-ness" of the earbuds dont work well IMO.

Yeah, thats why I'm torn between the two phones. The Rezound on the Nexus. It seems the Nexus will be what I'm looking for in terms of software, but the Rezound will be more of my hardware needs. Your input has helped a lot though. And frankly, I hope I don't offend anyone when I say I don't think buying a phone for the headphones it comes with is a very good idea. I have invested a good bit into my audio setup I have, both for running, and for pleasure, so the headphones could easily just be given to a friend, to recover some of the phone cost.

Thank you, I appriciate your in-depth and detailed response. I am starting to lean more towards the Rezound now. Do you know anything about the cases for the Nexus? I primarily interested in what Otterbox has to offer, since I have used their product before and was pleased with the product.

i have the Commuter, and i had the Defender. Both very good case. Defender is crazy sturdy, just dont expect to getr it in or out of your pocket easily. thr outside rubber grab the inside of your pants. the Commuter is very nice and has saved my phones life on a couple of occasions

Back