Rock and Roll Trivia

Wow, this party really died. Let's go Desso, Hook, and jntowers. Need to get some more trivia going.

Greg Allman wrote which hit song as a way to heal/cope with and get on with life after his brother, Duane was killed riding his motorcycle?

I have no idea. This was well before my time and never got into them after the fact. I do know some of their songs so I will guess Midnight Rider.

What was The Black Crowes first album?
Another hint for this one. It included their hits Hard To Handle and She Talks to Angels. Bonus question. Who originally did Hard To Handle?

Now this is a CD I use to have. I think the title was The Black Crowes but I'm probably wrong. I have no idea who wrote Hard to Handle.

The problem with CD's are they give you that tiny little booklet and very often the writers names are in such small letters.

Anyway, The Black Crowes are a solid rock band, I don't care what generation your from. They very much remind me of the Rolling Stones but that album they did with Jimmy Page floored me. Spectacular vocals, Robert Plant only wishes he could still sing that good.

Sorry, got a little off track......

Now we are really going to take a time trip back. In the 60's there was a duet during the British Invasion Named Peter and Gordon. The name of the song is "World Without Love." It was written by Bernard Webb.

1. Bernard Webb was a pseudonym, what was the writers real name?

2. Why did the writer give the song to Peter Asher?

The hint is in the second question. This is a tough one.

As a side note I remember going to Mass in the 60's and hearing a sermon from the priest about the words of this song. Probably the only sermon I ever paid attention to. We are going back to 1964.

Wow, this party really died. Let's go Desso, Hook, and jntowers. Need to get some more trivia going.

Greg Allman wrote which hit song as a way to heal/cope with and get on with life after his brother, Duane was killed riding his motorcycle?

I have no idea. This was well before my time and never got into them after the fact. I do know some of their songs so I will guess Midnight Rider.

Another hint for this one. It included their hits Hard To Handle and She Talks to Angels. Bonus question. Who originally did Hard To Handle?
Yay! Mr. Cizzo revived my favorite thread!

I think Hard to Handle was written by one of the earlier Blues Men, like Muddy Waters or Blind Boy Willie or Herring Bone Tyrone, something like that.
"Ain't Wastin' Time No More" was Greg's tribute to Duane. As a matter of fact, "Eat a Peach" was dedicated to him.

Now we are really going to take a time trip back. In the 60's there was a duet during the British Invasion Named Peter and Gordon. The name of the song is "World Without Love." It was written by Bernard Webb.

As a side note I remember going to Mass in the 60's and hearing a sermon from the priest about the words of this song. Probably the only sermon I ever paid attention to. We are going back to 1964.

Bernard strikes a bell. Is he Elton John's friend :) and lyricist that writes all Sir Elton's songs? Stretching a bit, here.

OK, Mr. Hook just mentioned Robert Plant.

Name the singer who fairly recently released an album full of duets with him.

BONUS: Name the song on it that has the word "money" in the hook.

Is it Allison Krauss?

Hard To Handle was originally done by Otis Redding. Crowes album was Shake Your Money Maker.

Is it Allison Krauss?

Hard To Handle was originally done by Otis Redding. Crowes album was Shake Your Money Maker.

that's funny - my wife and i joke that allison krauss only does duets

sorry i haven't been able to stay on top of this, been a bit busy today! and i haven't known any of the answers :)

Bernard strikes a bell. Is he Elton John's friend :) and lyricist that writes all Sir Elton's songs? Stretching a bit, here.

Nope, that would be Bernie Taupin and he's Elton's Lyricist. Elton would have been a teen when this song came out.

Here's the deal. Peter Asher was the clue. Peter and Gordon sang the song, but Paul McCartney wrote the song. And why did he give it to Peter? He was dating his sister Jane Asher back then.

If you were a Beatles fan in the 60's you might know this. lol. It all seems so simple to me.

FWIW there are a few different takes on this story. Mine is the real one. Some say John Lennon did the arrangement but that's bull pucky. Some say Paul tried to give the song to someone else first but they turned it down. I don't buy that either.

The Beatles were also the first band to use feedback on a recording. What was the name of the song this first appeared on?

The Beatles were also the first band to use feedback on a recording. What was the name of the song this first appeared on?

Never been much of a Beatles fan, but I have a fond memory of being about 4 or so and my aunt (whom I lived with at the time) cutting an electric guitar out of cardboard and her and I dancing and singing "I want to hold your hand."

Anyway, I'm guessing Sgt Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band. Either that or something off the White Album.

Now to delve into the engineering side of RnR...

Name the artist (he was a guitarist, songwriter, singer) that developed the recording effect (sound processing - not just guitar, it's been used on drums with interesting results) known as "flange".
BONUS: Described how this sound was first obtained.

I have one. Name the original lead singer for Iron Maiden.

No one knows this one???

In the interest of reviving this thread I asked my friend. The rules said no googling, not no asking someone else. :D

So Paul Day was technically the first but Palu Di'Anno is probably what you're looking for.

No you are absolutely correct in what I was looking for!!! Paul Day was the first actual lead singer. Paul Di'Anno is thought of as the first because he appeared on the first two albums as well as the Soundhouse Tapes recordings.

I would think that Shake Your Money Maker is the first Black Crowes album but there was prolly some indie album before it I don't know about.

Last edited:
Ok how about what song is this from:

Start off easy.. :D

Song and Artist (No Google)

1) "Sometimes, I think its a sin, when I feel like I'm winning when I'm losing again.."

2) "Everybody, listen to me, and return me, my ship"

3) "Oh mama, I'm in fear for my life, from the long arm of the law..lawman has put an end to my running and I'm so far from my home.."

4) "Is it getting better, or do you feel the same? Will it make it easier on you now, you've got someone to blame.."

5) "So I handed him my bottle, and he drank down my last swallow, then he bummed a cigarette, and asked me for a light.."

Ok how about what song is this from:

Start off easy.. :D

Song and Artist (No Google)

1) "Sometimes, I think its a sin, when I feel like I'm winning when I'm losing again.."

2) "Everybody, listen to me, and return me, my ship"

3) "Oh mama, I'm in fear for my life, from the long arm of the law..lawman has put an end to my running and I'm so far from my home.."

4) "Is it getting better, or do you feel the same? Will it make it easier on you now, you've got someone to blame.."

5) "So I handed him my bottle, and he drank down my last swallow, then he bummed a cigarette, and asked me for a light.."

3) "The Renegade" - Styx
4) "One" - U2

That's all I got. The other ones aren't ringing a bell at all.

Back