Droid X2

Minimal X

v. beta 2.0

screen201107182252.png
screen201107182253.png
screen201107182301.png
screen201107182300.png
screen201107182315.png

*Disclaimer* This is a beta build of this ROM. It is mostly stable, but hasn't been thoroughly tested by anyone but myself. I decided to release it publicly due to the lack of current ROMs for users to flash. I expect general feedback based up what is currently in the ROM and what I can do to improve it. For legal reasons, flashing this ROM is based on your own decision, if it causes any mishap with your phone, feel free to message me and I will work with you to fix it, but I am in no way responsible for anything you do.

Not a whole lot of time to type this up -- I plan on editing when I have more time and as the build progresses.

This ROM is mostly debloated. Some bloat is left for general function of the phone. I tried to leave any bloat application that applies function to the phone that is otherwise inaccessible. This makes it an awesome base ROM for anyone who wishes to develop.

There are also many edits to system files such as the build.prop, apks, framework, etc. These edits are mostly performance based enhancements, but there are some visual changes as well. I plan on continuing the theme on this ROM based on user input. I may also consider converting back to stock theme and allowing flashable themes for those who wish to have more options. Themes that have been previously created for the Droid X2 (so far, I believe there are a total of three posted at XDA) should be flashable over top of this ROM, but I am making no guarantees. Also added is a sleep mode (accessed by holding power) which lowers power consumption, and turns off wireless signal -- The device is able to be accessed again by holding power. In general, it allows for maximum battery conservation compared to turning off the device.

TLDR;
  • Bloat removed
  • System edits
  • Framework edits
  • Much more...

In future updates, I plan on doing what you, the consumer, wants to happen. Firstly, I plan on cooking SuperCharger into the ROM. And hopefully, in the near future, I can figure out how to overclock this beast.

As for performance, this ROM runs great. I average around 3000 in Quadrant and in AnTuTu Benchmark, I average around 4750.

This ROM is optimized for performance, but doesn't lack on functionality. I hope you all can find great use of it and enjoy the work I have done.

Instructions:
  1. Gain SuperUser access by rooting your device via Gingerbreak.apk
  2. Install recovery
  3. Move ROM (.zip) to external SD card
  4. Boot into Recovery using the APK
  5. [optional] Clear Data/ Factory Reset
  6. [optional] Clear Cache
  7. Choose Install .zip from SD
  8. Choose SD card
  9. Navigate to the ROM (.zip)
  10. Confirm install
  11. Reboot once installation is complete
  12. When rom boots, be sure to firstly make your default keyboard something other than "Moto input method" (explained later)
  13. Enjoy!
I plan on adding more detailed instructions at a later date...

Known issues:
  • User must change keyboard away from "Moto input method." This keyboard was removed from the build, but hasn't had all traces cleared yet. It will not appear due to most of the structure and APK being removed.
  • Charging battery animation is default
  • Browser search function is faulty. To fix, please install Google Search from the Android Market.
  • Calendar sync seems to be an issue due to the removal of the Calendar Sync apk by accident in this build. It will be returning. If you wish to restore calendar sync before the update, the two files you will need are: BlurCalendarProvider.apk AND BlurCalendarProvider.odex
  • Some users are reporting the contacts menu repeatedly opening on random. I do not know the exact cause of this, but it is rare. In the case that it does happen, try wiping data and cache and re-flashing the ROM.

Please let me know of any additional issues you run into!!!

Otherwise, enjoy your DROID X2!

Mirror 1
Mirror 2

For those wanting some /system/app/ items back,
Download Stock Applications

This is NOT flashable... yet.
This is a simple .zip that contains all the /system/app/ items in case you wish you restore them. To restore an system, simply unzip the file, move the desired file to your phone/SD. Make sure R/W is enabled, and move the desired files to /system/app/
Hope this helps some in a temporary fix to your problems.

Lastly, I develop for fun, but if you feel it necessary, donate to the cause.
Actually, we could make this into a fun drinking game. My 21st birthday is August 1st. I plan on getting $**t housed all day and all that weekend. If you donate, before August 6th, your donation funds will go strictly towards alcohol. If you donate, feel free to message me with what you wish for me to purchase with that given cash (note: if you want something specific, please donate that specific amount, otherwise, it'll probably go towards some PBR). I'll try to take pictures of the drinks before and after (depending on how wasted I am) and I'll message those who donated, or anyone who requests, with what kind of damage was done. Haha, I have some experience under my belt, so, don't take it easy. This should be fun.

Happy Android-ing to everyone!

May the Droid X2 prosper!

This post is not subject to perfect grammar; no one really cares. Enjoy the ROM!

So awesome, your support is much appreciated.

If you've removed the moto keyboard, did you include another keyboard to take its place? I don't have an X2 (brother does) so I don't know off hand what that situation is.

Excellent. Doing a backup now and flashing it.

Question. Optional on the data wipe? I know you wrote that, but I'm worried about some lingering bugs carrying through...

So awesome, your support is much appreciated.

If you've removed the moto keyboard, did you include another keyboard to take its place? I don't have an X2 (brother does) so I don't know off hand what that situation is.

Thank you very much. It's the community excitement that drives me to develop.

The stock Multi-touch keyboard is still included, along with Swype. Moto input keyboard was a third party keyboard that was removed, but not fully as it has been presenting a few problems. In future releases, it will be completely removed.

Thanks for your post and support.

EDIT:
Excellent. Doing a backup now and flashing it.

Question. Optional on the data wipe? I know you wrote that, but I'm worried about some lingering bugs carrying through...

I provide the data wipe as optional because it will be the second best way to get the cleanest install of the ROM. The cleanest way, would be, of course, to SBF, then do a factory reset, then install the ROM.

If you don't wipe data and there are bugs post ROM, then it is likely interference with an installed application.

I'm calling it a night ladies and gentlemen. I'm beat, and I have 5 hours till I gotta be up for work tomorrow.

Any problems you encounter, will be addressed immediately tomorrow.

Hope everyone enjoys!

Thanx man... downloaded but might wait till tomorrow to flash it

Sent from my DROID X2 using DroidForums

Thanks all. I updated with screenshots. But forreals, bed this time!

Sleep Is For The Weak Lol, I'm Gonna Flash It Now And Start Playing Around So I Can Start Giving Some Feedback. Thanks So Much To You We Have A ROM Now. :)

Sleep Is For The Weak Lol, I'm Gonna Flash It Now And Start Playing Around So I Can Start Giving Some Feedback. Thanks So Much To You We Have A ROM Now. :)
I have installed... I tested without a wipe to give feedback from this perspective. Currently it looks to have dropped my quadrant score quite a bit, but overall seems much more responsive... I ended up with a score on antutu of 4610. I have no idea how this correlates to quadrant but it lost about 500 points from my quadrant score.

None the less I have had zero issues thus far with this update! Thanks for this beta rom C21!

Update after changing some settings I got back to within 100 of my previous quadrant score! Great initial rom release!

I have installed... I tested without a wipe to give feedback from this perspective. Currently it looks to have dropped my quadrant score quite a bit, but overall seems much more responsive... I ended up with a score on antutu of 4610. I have no idea how this correlates to quadrant but it lost about 500 points from my quadrant score.

None the less I have had zero issues thus far with this update! Thanks for this beta rom C21!

Update after changing some settings I got back to within 100 of my previous quadrant score! Great initial rom release!

Question Here, Does It Take A While For The "Touch Android To Begin" Because All I Have Is A Black Screen, This Is Strange Considering If Memory Serves Correct The Android Should Appear Almost Instantaneously...I'm Gonna RSD Back To Stock And Start Over Again. Damn Phones Making Me Act Like This My First Rodeo.

Edit: Fixed It.

I Tried Numerous Battery Pulls And Wiping Data/Cache Nothing Worked. I SBFed Back To Stock And Installed The Bare Minimum To Flash MinimalX Again And This Time It Went Through. No Answer To What The Issue Was.

Thanks for the ROM going to install right now and let you know if I have any problems !!!

Forgive me for asking what may be a very dumb question, but you are running quadrent multiple times correct?

Sent from my LGB v0.9 Gingercomb Juiced DROID2

Back